• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem Heroes
  3. Quick and Dirty Damage Mechanics (not actually quick or dirty)

User Info: celerytea

celerytea
2 years ago#61
yeah, i just figured that gronnblade being multiplied by dragon- series skills would be too good to be true

(i'll, uh, try to remember to resize those images before posting them next time)

User Info: AntiAir

AntiAir
2 years ago#62
Are the HP threshold skills treated similarly to the way other multipliers/divisors are done?

Like, say I had a character with Vantage 3 and 42 max HP. floor(42*0.75)=31; but 42-floor(42*0.25)=32. Does that unit reach Vantage range at 31 HP or at 32 HP?
Destroyer of aircraft.
Happy owner of a 5-star Priscilla. <3

User Info: Reimys

Reimys
2 years ago#63
AntiAir posted...
Are the HP threshold skills treated similarly to the way other multipliers/divisors are done?

Like, say I had a character with Vantage 3 and 42 max HP. floor(42*0.75)=31; but 42-floor(42*0.25)=32. Does that unit reach Vantage range at 31 HP or at 32 HP?

Based from what I know, it will be the lower number. 15 hp counts as 50% hp for a Wary Fighter unit with 31 hp, 28 counts as half for a 57 hp Wary Fighter, which means Wary Fighter stays unbroken.

From my own check just now, Reinhardt with 39 hp max and Vantage 3 fails to activate Vantage when attacked at 30 hp. The unit reaches threshold at floor(HP*ThresholdModifier), not MaxHP - floor(MaxHP*nonthreshold). In my case, floor(39*.25) = 9, and floor(39*.75) = 29. If 9 damage wasn't enough to activate it, well.
3DS FC: 4656 - 7963 - 4906;
IGNs: Y Mimosa (????); AS Cinquefoil (????); M Emii (1328)
(edited 2 years ago)

User Info: Caltenburn

Caltenburn
2 years ago#64
What is floor?
(edited 2 years ago)

User Info: AntiAir

AntiAir
2 years ago#65
The floor function is a mathematical function that returns the largest integer that is less than or equal to the value.

https://www.mathsisfun.com/sets/function-floor-ceiling.html
Destroyer of aircraft.
Happy owner of a 5-star Priscilla. <3

User Info: argile

argile
2 years ago#66
Is there a quick and dirty way to calculate which Special you should inherit to a hero based on the hero's stats? Trying to decide between Luna/Glacies/Moonbow/etc/etc is giving me a headache
(edited 2 years ago)

Reimys
2 years ago#67
argile posted...
Is there a quick and dirty way to calculate which Special you should inherit to a hero based on the hero's stats? Trying to decide between Luna/Glacies/Moonbow/etc/etc is giving me a headache

Yeah sure. Rule of thumb is divide your attack by your higher defense. If attack turns out to be greater than 5/3rds of your defense (>1.66) then you'll get more damage out of Draconic Aura than the equivalent charge version of the defensive stat based skill. This gets a little fuzzy due to truncating of the actual damage numbers though, so if it's close to that mark you might as well check anyway- going from say, 14.5 with iceberg to 14.7 with Draconic aura makes literally no difference (that's what you'd get with 49 attack and 29 res) because they're both 14 damage in the end.

Deciding what charge rate skill to use, on the other hand, comes down mostly to unit and how fast they charge skills. Units with Lightning Breath or a -Blade tome mostly only ever use Moonbow because it's the only skill they'll realistically be able to use much due to their weapons forcing a higher charge time. Units with a Killer type weapon can get away with running the high charge skills like Glacies, Ignis, and Dragon Fang more easily. As a general rule of thumb Moonbow is great for increased CD units, Wo Dao+ units, and units who only need a little extra damage consistently as opposed to a more dramatic damage spike.

User Info: argile

argile
2 years ago#68
The 4-charge skills should be good on Brave users as well as Killer users, right?

Reimys
2 years ago#69
argile posted...
The 4-charge skills should be good on Brave users as well as Killer users, right?

Can be, if the brave user quads consistently and doesn't need the extra power on their first initiate. If they don't outspeed it's iffy since you'll need 2 initiations for it to charge- though it can fire off on the second round of combat if the enemy is capable of countering them... but most brave users don't like being attacked back.

It depends on unit, in the end. High power Brave users that don't 4x often, like Reinhardt, will be hard pressed to find use in a 4 charge skill. Bulky Swordbreaker red swords running Brave Sword+ on the other hand might be able to get more use out of it, etc etc, though my own personal preference is 3 charge skills for brave users.

User Info: OmnimonX12345

OmnimonX12345
2 years ago#70
Reimys posted...
argile posted...

Can be, if the brave user quads consistently and doesn't need the extra power on their first initiate. If they don't outspeed it's iffy since you'll need 2 initiations for it to charge- though it can fire off on the second round of combat if the enemy is capable of countering them... but most brave users don't like being attacked back.

It depends on unit, in the end. High power Brave users that don't 4x often, like Reinhardt, will be hard pressed to find use in a 4 charge skill. Bulky Swordbreaker red swords running Brave Sword+ on the other hand might be able to get more use out of it, etc etc, though my own personal preference is 3 charge skills for brave users.

I agree with this, 3-charge skills are the best for Brave users. As you said already, they don't like being attacked, so you should mostly consider the Player's phase for them. There, after 1 battle a Brave Weapon will have a 2 or 3 charge skill ready for the next battle. But in the case they do end up being attacked, after a battle that is, they'll have the 3 charge special ready for their first, and likely only, counter attack. I'm not sure how well I'm describing this right now so let me put it this way:

With a 3 charge skill:
1) Player turn: Brave Weapon attacks, kills enemy after second hit. Enemey turn: Can't hit because out of range. Player turn: Brave Weapon attacks and gets the special on the second hit.

2) Player turn: Brave Weapon attacks, kills enemy after second hit. Enemy turn: Attacks (possibly twice with their own Brave Weapon), 3-charge special is ready and used on counterattack. From here there are four likely outcomes:

1] Enemy attacks again because Brave Weapons are typically slow af.
2] Enemy dies to the special
3] both live (with or without enemy follow-up)
4] Your Brave Weapon user dies to the first hit before being able to counter attack.

In these two main scenarios a 2-charge special would be ready at the same as the 3-charge, with just less power, and the 4-charge too late, unless your unit is being attacke by a Brave Weapon itself. The best charge numbers for Brave Weapon wielder are odd numbers. (And there's no 1-charge special yet)
"they'll heal you till you get cancer" ~Barnedion
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem Heroes
  3. Quick and Dirty Damage Mechanics (not actually quick or dirty)
  • Post New Message