• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem Heroes
  3. Quick and Dirty Damage Mechanics (not actually quick or dirty)

User Info: Reimys

Reimys
2 years ago#41
Gipsylass posted...
Very interesting read, thanks.

I have two questions which might already be answered somewhere and I overlooked it: What do the different colors of the stats mean. I read in an other fire emblem thread (but it was not about this game), the blue stats = buffed stats and red stats = debuffed stats, is this the same here?

And.... what do the little green (up) or red (down) arrows mean? Maybe this was explained somewhere already, but I didn't find it. So thanks for helping me out.

Red stats on the overall display means it's, overall, debuffed from normal. Note that this normal already includes 'always on' modifiers like Brave weapons -5 speed and the stat boosts from Fury/Life and Death/Stat +3, so don't assume that your 38 speed Minerva with Life and Death 3 is actually at 43 speed; that 38 speed is after the passive boost. Likewise, blue stats means they're overall buffed from usual.

You can press on the stat in question to bring up a slightly more detailed display that displays individual buff/debuffs. This is only really relevant when you have a debuff and a buff stacked on a unit at once, like say, Threaten Attack for -5, while you have a Hone Cavalry buff for +6. You'll see both of those mods in the detail display, but the standard overview will be blue since you're at net +1.

The arrows represent turn-long debuffs and buffs. The red downs will end after you select a move (even if you just have them do nothing), and the green ups will last through the enemy turn. They also mean that the unit is already under the effect of a (visible) buff, and so you can't stack another of the same kind of buff on them (e.g. you can't Hone Attack 3 and Rally Attack the same unit). This is mostly a damage quirks guide, so I didn't think to mention them. With green arrow buffs, if you try to apply multiple to a unit, the strongest one overrides the rest.

The green arrow buffs will, however, stack with 'in combat' buffs like Darting/Death/Armored/Warding Blow, as well as Spur Stat/Ward-slash-Goad Unit type.

One thing about the red down arrows is that a Harsh Command unit can flip those into green arrows.
3DS FC: 4656 - 7963 - 4906;
IGNs: Y Mimosa (????); AS Cinquefoil (????); M Emii (1328)

User Info: Gipsylass

Gipsylass
2 years ago#42
Thanks a bunch for this very informative answer. This helps a lot.

With the red and green arrows I noticed that sometimes they "flicker" (same char) alternately between red and green, could this mean there is a debuff and a buff active?

By the way, doing the combat maths myself is still difficult for me, but at least I have an idea now what to look out for.
Great job 👍.

Reimys
2 years ago#43
Gipsylass posted...
With the red and green arrows I noticed that sometimes they "flicker" (same char) alternately between red and green, could this mean there is a debuff and a buff active?

That is indeed entirely possible.

Ah, I didn't think to mention it in my last reply, but the 'only one green arrow buff' rule applies per stat. It was implied, but I figured I should clarify just in case. You can have +4/6 across the board in all stats if you want, you just can't stack Rally Attack x3 for example, but you can use Rally Attack, Speed, and Defense on the same unit without issue.
(edited 2 years ago)

User Info: Gipsylass

Gipsylass
2 years ago#44
And thanks again, you're really doing a great job.
This has helped me a lot to understand the battle mechanics better.

User Info: HirosakiShadow

HirosakiShadow
2 years ago#45
I'm not the first person to ask this, I hope...

But I was just playing on the 10th stratum with an all flyer team when I realized that my Subaki was doing more damage than he should.

I had two Pallas on this team with Goad flying, and it looks like both instances of goad flyer actually took effect for a total of a whopping +8 bonus to both atk and spd.

Do the goad skills not have an instance/buff cap? Can you give 4 flyers/armors/cavalry each a goad skill and buff for a total of +16 as long as the units are in range of each other?
Back in Business

Reimys
2 years ago#46
HirosakiShadow posted...
I'm not the first person to ask this, I hope...

But I was just playing on the 10th stratum with an all flyer team when I realized that my Subaki was doing more damage than he should.

I had two Pallas on this team with Goad flying, and it looks like both instances of goad flyer actually took effect for a total of a whopping +8 bonus to both atk and spd.

Do the goad skills not have an instance/buff cap? Can you give 4 flyers/armors/cavalry each a goad skill and buff for a total of +16 as long as the units are in range of each other?

All the 'invisible'/'aura'/'in combat only'/'not displayed in the stat window' will stack with themselves, yes. Apologies, I thought this was common knowledge. Spur/Goad/Wards will stack with themselves to multiple instances; it's just the 'active' buffs that override each other. Though your example will only go to +12 for all since they can't benefit from their own buff, but digressing...

My cavalry quest has been absurdly easy between Hone/2x Ward/Goad on the same team, lol. Need something dead? Send in Reinhardt with a Hone. Need to tank a red? Even Reinhardt can tank them ez after 2 Wards on him, to say nothing about Eldigan with a Ward and both of Hone/Goad on him for the defending speed.
(edited 2 years ago)

User Info: HirosakiShadow

HirosakiShadow
2 years ago#47
Reimys posted...
All the 'invisible'/'aura'/'in combat only'/'not displayed in the stat window' will stack with themselves, yes. Apologies, I thought this was common knowledge. Spur/Goad/Wards will stack with themselves to multiple instances; it's just the 'active' buffs that override each other. Though your example will only go to +12 for all since they can't benefit from their own buff, but digressing...

My cavalry quest has been absurdly easy between Hone/2x Ward/Goad on the same team, lol. Need something dead? Send in Reinhardt with a Hone. Need to tank a red? Even Reinhardt can tank them ez after 2 Wards on him, to say nothing about Eldigan with a Ward and both of Hone/Goad on him for the defending speed.

I was unaware of this. That makes doing the 10th stratum flying quest SIGNIFICANTLY easier for me.

My mistake about the +16. Obvious in retrospect.
Back in Business

User Info: oberon

oberon
2 years ago#48
Thank you for this massively helpful breakdown, I'm now running the calculations in my head for every battle. There's one thing I noticed that hasn't been covered yet in this thread.

When I'm attacking with colorless magic (clerics) against colored or colorless enemies the damage always seems to be a straightforward half (rounded down) of what it should be if it was just cleric atk - enemy's Res (assuming no buffs etc). Can you confirm this is true?

As far as I know, colorless physical attacks (ninjas and archers) operate from the same mechanics that were laid out at the beginning and the only oddity is colorless magic.

Has this mechanic been more or less consistent from previous Fire Emblems? I'm embarrassed to say that this is my 4th FE and I've been letting the game do all the calculations for me this whole time.
FE Fates castle code: 10278-35567-34716-28473
FE Heroes ID: 0997045573

Reimys
2 years ago#49
oberon posted...
Thank you for this massively helpful breakdown, I'm now running the calculations in my head for every battle. There's one thing I noticed that hasn't been covered yet in this thread.

When I'm attacking with colorless magic (clerics) against colored or colorless enemies the damage always seems to be a straightforward half (rounded down) of what it should be if it was just cleric atk - enemy's Res (assuming no buffs etc). Can you confirm this is true?

As far as I know, colorless physical attacks (ninjas and archers) operate from the same mechanics that were laid out at the beginning and the only oddity is colorless magic.

Has this mechanic been more or less consistent from previous Fire Emblems? I'm embarrassed to say that this is my 4th FE and I've been letting the game do all the calculations for me this whole time.

Unfortunately, yes, healers in this game have a damage penalty- their damage per hit is halved after the standard attack - res. The game never mentions this explicitly, I believe, and you'll only notice if you pay attention to your damage and notice a discrepancy, like you have.

Offensive colorless units are unaffected. Healers did not suffer any such penalty in the main Fire Emblem games. We assume it's because they want to level the playing field for mages, since unit counts are so limited in this game, but who knows.

User Info: oberon

oberon
2 years ago#50
Thank you! I have a question on Death Blow, it applies to threaten Attack as well, and it's very time-sensitive as I'm taking Michalis on in Lunatic!

Does Death Blow 3's +6 attack get factored in before calculating weapon effectiveness and WTA, or last? Or between them? I'm guessing it comes in last but just want to check, since it could make the difference between winning or losing this battle.
FE Fates castle code: 10278-35567-34716-28473
FE Heroes ID: 0997045573
(edited 2 years ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem Heroes
  3. Quick and Dirty Damage Mechanics (not actually quick or dirty)
  • Post New Message