• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. Just got this game for free, what kind of game is it?
EternalWolf 1 month ago#1
Google is not my friend. Its not necessarily the gameplay I am worried about, it's the design and how it effects my OCD. Not really worried about if it's good as much as I am worried about as if it's fun for me.

First off, I liked Final Fantasy Tactics a bit back in the day, have yet to play South Park FBW even though I own two copies of it(I moved to digital and it was like $5). Is this the same genre?

I don't like character creation, at least extensive ones. Takes me hours to come up with the "perfect" character since it's impossible to make myself. Perfect means it looks like a character the developer would make if there wasn't character creation, in Elder Scrolls I always use "real" names based on race/world lore. If that's not an option, the character is always a woman named Selena Knight. Never beat one though because of the following issues.

I have a problem with exploring and item collecting. I have to touch every wall, get every item in every room. I also will quit/reload if learned I missed an object or battle. If an item pickup is random, like in Resident Evil, I reload to get the max ammo amount for the ammo I want. If there is an inventory and I can keep one of every item or weapon, I do instead of use them all up or save space. It's perfectly organized as well.

Because of this, I know how the entire system works via process of elimination. I take more time learning the engine and game design then the game itself. I don't play the game the way it's meant to be played and it usually leads to me quitting halfway through a 60 hour game or making a 60 hour game 120.

I stick to arcade games, platformers, older games or 3d games without as much to explore/collect but are still deep. I also prefer games with a level select that are pick up and play, don't like having to relearn. Bayonetta is perfect, R-Type Final 2 is perfect, DOOM is perfect, Metroid is perfect, FF7 is perfect because it isn't huge, haven't started the remake yet but I guess it's chapter based/replayable so it shouldn't be an issue. FFX is perfect because it's linear. 2d Zelda is perfect, 3d can be a problem but BotW was just to good not to go all out. Warriors is perfect even with all the content. Loved Xenoblade but quit shortly after the overworld music changed because there was just too much(also just got DE for free BTW).

Do you see the design of Three Houses being a problem for me based on what I've said? Am I gonna lose my mind trying to get everything or is it a simple but deep game? Is each battle replayable, are the missables etc...? I don't mind long RPGs, huge RPGs cause me problems.
As We Go...
Thorscape 1 month ago#2
From my post on the Switch board.

Go to YouTube and watch gameplay. FE is a very standard SRPG. That should answer most of your questions.

In 3H your choices don't matter except to choose which route you play and the game is easy enough for most of your gameplay decisions to not matter too much either.

Butt 1 month ago#3
Go play the game to see what its like, you literally own it

tf
"You must be new to gamefaqs. Its a wall-to-wall s*** show, leave your well formed, reasonable opinions at the door." - stepan618
LaunchCroctopus 1 month ago#4
EternalWolf posted...
I have a problem with exploring and item collecting. I have to touch every wall, get every item in every room. I also will quit/reload if learned I missed an object or battle. If an item pickup is random, like in Resident Evil, I reload to get the max ammo amount for the ammo I want. If there is an inventory and I can keep one of every item or weapon, I do instead of use them all up or save space. It's perfectly organized as well.

Do you see the design of Three Houses being a problem for me based on what I've said? Am I gonna lose my mind trying to get everything or is it a simple but deep game? Is each battle replayable, are the missables etc...? I don't mind long RPGs, huge RPGs cause me problems.
I'm no expert, but this game seems like it'd be pretty bad for OCD. By design, it's impossible to have all of the playable characters on any single file, and it's also impossible to max out every character you do have since the number of things you can do each in-game week is limited. Really, the whole game is about opportunity costs, so if you don't like missing out on stuff it probably isn't for you.

Plus, if you reload for RNG...this game would kill you. Stat gains on every level up are semi-random and the odds of a perfect one are pretty tiny even for the best characters. You'd be reloading for centuries.

I also prefer games with a level select.
You'd be out of luck on that, too. Even the randomly generated maps can only be done so many times before the story moves forward.
Tastymond 1 month ago#5
Not good if you have OCD In games.
How do
EternalWolf 1 month ago#6
LaunchCroctopus posted...
I'm no expert, but this game seems like it'd be pretty bad for OCD. By design, it's impossible to have all of the playable characters on any single file, and it's also impossible to max out every character you do have since the number of things you can do each in-game week is limited. Really, the whole game is about opportunity costs, so if you don't like missing out on stuff it probably isn't for you.

Plus, if you reload for RNG...this game would kill you. Stat gains on every level up are semi-random and the odds of a perfect one are pretty tiny even for the best characters. You'd be reloading for centuries.

You'd be out of luck on that, too. Even the randomly generated maps can only be done so many times before the story moves forward.
@LaunchCroctopus
Thank you, exactly the type of response I was waiting for. Gonna wait on starting it up, it's probably gonna drive me more insane than a normal RPG.
As We Go...
Shadow_FF6 1 month ago#7
EternalWolf posted...
@LaunchCroctopus
Thank you, exactly the type of response I was waiting for. Gonna wait on starting it up, it's probably gonna drive me more insane than a normal RPG.
A few things to note. First off, while it's impossible to have all the playable characters in a single file, you do not make choices. There's no "Get Steve to join, but Roger abandons you." Rather, at the start of the game, you choose one of the Three Houses to join. This sets you on a path through the game. Since the paths are seperate so early, it might not upset the OCD, unless you then feel compelled to play all of them. However, on any given path, nothing prevents you from recruiting every single character potentially available on that path.

Also, the random maps are not actually finite. If you play on Normal, you can grind to your hearts content. It's not really how the game is meant to be played, but for those who wish to enjoy it that way, you can. However, if your goal is to max out every stat... yah, not so much. It really isn't needed. Even on the highest difficulty, Maddening, gameplay is more about skills and abilities, rather than stat points. But on my current playthrough, the highest Magic character in the game went 6 levels without getting a single extra point of magic. That annoyed me a little (On average, she'd gain 4), and I suspect it might drive you even worse. And you're bound to come across some kind of RNG screw on your characters.

You also might lose your mind fishing. You can spend a LOT of time fishing every week, if your goal is to use up all your bait AND get good fish for it. Fishing isn't really all that important (It plays a small role in optimization, but isn't really needed if not playing on Maddening) but it is there as something to do.

On the other hand, there is a decent amount to collect, but not too much. There's a few missions where getting all the rewards can be tricky (Having to save NPCs who you are nowhere near) but if you play on normal for infinite grind, they should be much more manageable. And while almost all items break over time, they can be repaired. The rarest weapons have rare repair materials, but even when they break, they're still in your inventory, waiting to be repaired, so you never lose them. And you don't really need them on Normal.

I guess the number one thing to ask is how much you can handle the RNG leveling. If you can accept a character who can take a lot of hits, and one-round every enemy except for some bosses, then you'll have no problem finding that on Normal mode. Three Houses is generally said to have the most evenly balanced roster in the series. The worst characters are considered the worst more because they simply bring nothing special to the table compared to the competition. But they're still perfectly usable (especially once you get to about the halfway point of the game, when even the worst characters can start one-round killing reliably on the hardest difficulty).

"I take more time learning the engine and game design then the game itself."
I feel personally attacked! I've actually spent more time on this board than playing the game. Talking about it is a lot of fun. Planning out builds and strategies is fun. The board is pretty quiet these days, but the game offers a lot to learn and master. And since replays are encouraged with the multiple routes, you'll have plenty of time to try out every unit. And to try out multiple builds on every unit.

Also, I'm a big FFT fan myself, and I have to say, this feels much more FFT-like than the rest of Fire Emblem. It's story is as much about the politics of the world as it is about ancient magic powers. Building your team is a large part of the fun, and why I still want to replay it again and again.
`/\ |\ | | \ `-|- `|_| |-_|) |-_`|` `|` |)
/--\ | \| | / ` | `|` | |_ |\ |_` |__| ` |\
LaunchCroctopus 1 month ago#8
Shadow_FF6 posted...
Also, the random maps are not actually finite. If you play on Normal, you can grind to your hearts content. It's not really how the game is meant to be played, but for those who wish to enjoy it that way, you can.
Oh, I completely forgot normal lets you do that. But yeah, it'll definitely kill the difficulty curve if you grind too much on normal. FE's are (typically) balanced around no grinding.

Still, if that makes the difference for you then maybe give it a shot, but I'd still imagine the RNG will be a nightmare. Between tutoring, leveling, and hit rates you'd have to accept a lot of imperfect outcomes or spend an insane amount of time reloading.
Agahran 1 month ago#9
I have no idea why you're asking what kind of game it is if you own it. It would make sense if you were on the verge of buying it.
Raverbasher 1 month ago#10
Agahran posted...
I have no idea why you're asking what kind of game it is if you own it. It would make sense if you were on the verge of buying it.
He literally says why in his f***ing post.

Because he has ocd and he doesn’t want to trigger it.

I have no idea why ppl post stupid f***ing statements when the answers are literally in the first post.
Our greatest glory is not in never trolling; but in rising every time we troll - Confucius, 0 AD.
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. Just got this game for free, what kind of game is it?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A