• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. Golden Deer Maddening NG+ no DLC recommendations
GraphG 1 month ago#1
I am looking to do Maddening NG+ using Golden Deer house.
Male Byleth.
No DLC.
I would like to use basically everyone in house and recruit 1 or 2 people from other houses for deployment. I would recruit everyone else to do paralogues.
Who should I recruit as the 1-2 other people? I was thinking Lindhardt and Felix.
What class path should each character take? What abilities should each unit have equipped?
You can also throw in recommendations for reknown usage.
Will max at professor level at first and probably support for out of house recruits.
I love GC especially PSO
"HUnewearls are crab infested whores." - Fossil
Marienburg 1 month ago#2
I usually grab Shamir, Petra and Cyril. The immigrants have a triangle of supports among each other and with Ignatz and Claude.
Ridelwofr 1 month ago#3
I think Linhardt is the best recruit for GD. He provides extra uses of Warp, unlocks a paralogue with Leonie, and making him your primary healer frees up Marianne for another role, like Dancer.

MonadoGuy25 1 month ago#4
Male Byleth is really good, Female is typically the better choice for an easier earlygame (thanks to free recruiting Sylvain who happens to be one of the best earlygame units) as well as having an excellent Pegasus Knight for mid Part 1, but Male Byleth is still totally valid.

Linhardt is a great recruitment choice, having an extra unit with Physic is nice so that someone like Marianne can go into Dancer, as she's one of the better Dancer candidates in the route, and having two Warpers is incredibly good. Felix is alright, though I think there's other OOH recruitments, such as Petra, or possibly someone like Shamir or Cyril, as those are really strong units.

Fe3h.com has a good guide for what classes you should look into using in general.

For renown, 100% prioritize getting Class EXP+1, that's probably the most important one to get, then put Renown into the Cichol statue for a while. Don't get the stat cap bonuses, those effectively don't do anything and are a waste of renown.

As for my own Class recommendations, at least for the GD units...

Beginner Classes don't matter a whole lot, Mages almost always go Monk, physical units either go Fighter for the extra Strength, or Soldier for Reposition, which is a great positioning art.

Every physical unit should master Brigand for Death Blow, and Archer for Hit+20. Hilda wants to master Pegasus Knight really really badly if you're looking to make her a Player Phase unit.
Magic users always master Mage, and its worth at least considering an Archer mastery for Hit+20, though keep in mind they won't actually be useful as an Archer due to generally having poor Strength, besides Lorenz. This is where Adjutants can come in handy, especially if you aren't shying away from utilizing Auxiliary battles.

Byleth: Master Brigand and Archer for sure, then consider either Wyvern Lord (If you really want Byleth as Wyvern Lord, Female is objectively superior at the role, but Male Byleth in Wyvern Lord is still great), Grappler, or War Master. War Master has better Enemy Phase capabilities and only slightly worse Player Phase than Grappler, but Grappler can move through terrain without penalties. If I'm running Male Byleth, I'm going War Master, but that's just my preference.

Claude: Master Brigand and Archer for sure, what you go for after depends on how you want to build Claude. You can make him a Player Phase deletion unit, which is the easiest to build, go Wyvern Rider, then once you get to Part 2, pick between Wyvern Rider or Wyvern Master, depending on how you wanna use Claude, then go Barbarossa.
If you want to make Claude a dodgetank, go Wyvern Lord over Barbarossa. It takes more work to get into, but Wyvern Lord has an evasion bonus that really comes in clutch. Consider using Battalion Wrath with this build so Claude can delete hoards of enemies on EP with a Killer Bow+.
If you want to make Claude a Wrath/Vantage tank, master Mercenary for Vantage, then Master Warrior for Wrath. You can probably get away with ignoring Wyvern Rider here, though this makes him somewhat worse in Late Part 1, I think its worth it for more consistant EP capabilities later in the game. Remember Battalion Wrath and regular Wrath stack, so you can take advantage of that, though even using one of them can allow 100% crit rates anyways.

Hilda: Master Pegasus and Archer for sure, Brigand is also great but less of a priority. Hilda wants Wyvern Rider and Wyvern Lord since she fits that classline very well.

Lorenz: I recommend going into Monk and Mage with Lorenz, mastering those classes. Archer is very much worth considering as well. After that, you can go into Warlock or Paladin. Warlock lets Lorenz lean harder into his magic, and lets him utilize his spells nicely, especially since he gets Ragnarok earlier than anyone else at B reason. Paladin lets Lorenz lean more physically, but he can still use his Magic really well with the Frozen Lance art he gets, and with a strong lance, or one that deals effective damage like a Horseslayer, his killing capabilities may surprise you, though I find he gets worse at it towards the end of the game. Once he hits level 30, choose between Paladin or Dark Knight.

Lysithea: Mastering Monk and Mage are obvious here, then Lysithea always wants Bishop over Warlock for the extra White Magic usage, which grants an extra Warp use. Warlock doesn't impact Lysithea's damage output all that much since Warlock grants Lysithea the wrong Faire skill. After Bishop, go Gremory for extra spell charges all around, and more mobility.

Marianne: I'd recommend Dancer honestly. With Thoron equipped she has decent range with her Linked Attack bonuses she can provide, she passes the Dancing contest almost certainly, and with her Riding boon she can easily attain move+1 if you focus on that, which lets her be more mobile, which is always great for a Dancer. If you have other plans for a Dancer, you can consider putting her in a primarily healing role in Bishop and then eventually Dark/Holy Knight. Having her use Frozen Lance as a Paladin is an odd but effective choice as well. If you do go Dancer, she should almost always just be dancing.

Ignatz: Master Brigand and Archer for sure, Ignatz already has Hit+20 as his personal skill but having more Hit rate is always good. Boosting even from 90 or 95 hit rate to 100 is valuable. Afterwards, have Ignatz go Sniper and stick with that so that he can just spam Hunters Volley. Bow Knight might seem a good option but it has really awkward offense issues compared to Sniper, and considering Ignatz has iffy Strength already, I don't recommend that.

Raphael: Master Brigand and Archer for sure, then you can pick between either Wyvern, (with a Brave Axe since Raph's speed is lol), Grappler, to spam Fierce Iron Fist, or War Master to build him towards Enemy Phasing with his Battalion Wrath skill.

Leonie: Master Brigand and Archer for sure, maybe consider Pegasus Knight mastery, but she has Point Blank volley at A Bows so this isn't necessary. She can go down the Wyvern Line for maximum mobility, but she's also great going Paladin and then Bow Knight since it does fit better with her proficiencies. PBV fixes Bow Knight's offensive issues too, so no worries there.
GraphG 1 month ago#5
Thanks!
Based on the other posts I will recruit Lindhart and Petra out of house.
Should Lindhardt end up as Holy Knight or Gremory?
I am thinking Monk > Mage > Bishop > Warlock > Holy Knight

Petra will follow a path similar to Hilda, but I doubt I will actually use Petra much.

I will plan on Marianne being the dancer.

This would by my 6th time running through the game. All previous times was on hard - My 3rd time through the game I did Maddening Black Eagles CF. I could not beat the final stage without going down to hard. I say this for a couple reasons - statues are all full/I have a bunch of renown.
For this GD maddening, the bulk of renown will go to professor level, support levels for recruitment, main team skill levels.

Any particular skill assignments I should be looking for other than Hit +20 and death blow?
I love GC especially PSO
MonadoGuy25 1 month ago#6
GraphG posted...
Thanks!
Based on the other posts I will recruit Lindhart and Petra out of house.
Should Lindhardt end up as Holy Knight or Gremory?
I am thinking Monk > Mage > Bishop > Warlock > Holy Knight
Linhardt doesn't make a good Holy Knight. HK in general is kind of a meme class, which is a shame since the concept kind of owns. Lin can't go Gremory either, but tbh Bishop works very well for him.

Petra will follow a path similar to Hilda, but I doubt I will actually use Petra much.
Yeah, Petra really only has one class path thats any good, and its just the same as Hildas. That being said, Petra is excellent and works great as an extra back-up unit.

I will plan on Marianne being the dancer.

This would by my 6th time running through the game. All previous times was on hard - My 3rd time through the game I did Maddening Black Eagles CF. I could not beat the final stage without going down to hard. I say this for a couple reasons - statues are all full/I have a bunch of renown.
For this GD maddening, the bulk of renown will go to professor level, support levels for recruitment, main team skill levels.

Any particular skill assignments I should be looking for other than Hit +20 and death blow?
Those two are the big ones for sure, (Fiendish Blow over Death Blow for magic users of course.) Darting Blow from Pegasus Knights is very very good for female units who don't already have a doubling art, Petra and Hilda are great users of this.

I didn't initially realize this was an NG+ run, early Prof level investment on renown is really good.
Shadow_FF6 1 month ago#7
Ridelwofr posted...
I think Linhardt is the best recruit for GD. He provides extra uses of Warp, unlocks a paralogue with Leonie, and making him your primary healer frees up Marianne for another role, like having her blood compel her.
FTFY

Seriously though, she is probably one of the better in-house dancer choices for Golden Deer. But I really feel her unique traits as Red Mage style unit are wasted. Having Soulblade/Frozen Lance, Thoron, Physic and Silence on one character makes her nicely versatile, and she has relatively easy access to Move+1. However you are playing with the DLC, which means no Valkyrie. Which does reduce her to a Physic bot mid-game. And without the Warp of Hapi or Lindhardt. You can go for Paladin for her 20s, but then you lose out on her spells, and she's just another unit that has canto+one-shot, without being as powerful as some of the competition. Though she does open up once you get to Dark Knight.

The bigger argument in favor of not making her a Dancer is that you're using Lorenz. Lorenz is, I feel, even weaker in NG+. Lorenz has a decent early game thanks to his modest bulk, Frozen Lance and Heal/Recover. But the guy basically caps out at C ranks, and doesn't get any better. It's less that he's a bad unit late game, and more that just about everyone else starts getting really nice stuff later on, while he just stays in place. But with NG+, you can get Leonie PBV riding a horse at level 10 no problem, which means that Lorenz gets outclassed even earlier. Lorenz ends up being about as good of a Dancer as Marianne. They share the Riding Boon, but Lorenz also has the kind of bulk that makes putting him a little out of position acceptable. He doesn't have a Sword Boon, but you can just stick him with a Levin Sword (and later, Levin Sword+) to give him some good AoE support coverage while still benefitting from Sword Avoid +20. And since he can afford to take a few hits, it's okay to rely on a more modest dodge rate, because Lorenz isn't dependent on dodging everything to survive.

Overall, both are fine dancer choices, but I think Marianne is just a much more interesting unit than Lorenz. Lorenz is just kind of worse than her in every way except for bulk, so unless you intend on using that bulk (and I've thought about a weird Holy Knight Lorenz build where he uses Thyrsus to Nosferatank at range 4 without Retribution), he's just not that special. Frozen Lance + Recover is about as fancy as he gets.

EDIT: I'll add that Holy Knight isn't a total meme for Lindhardt, especially on NG+. Once Lindhardt reaches A Faith, he's done for the entire game. He could happily just stay a Bishop the whole time. But he does get free training sessions regardless. So why not use them? Just teach him Lances and Riding so he can qualify for Holy Knight. Then, when you're on a map where you'd like Lindhardt to not be left behind by the whole team, you can make him a Holy Knight. Now you might say "Who cares if he gets left behind? He can just Physic the rest of the map!" That is true most of the time. But there are maps when you don't want to leave him alone. And what's more, there's been maps where I can't cast a second Warp, because my Warper just gets left behind at the start. So Holy Knight Lindhardt with a utility Battalion (even just the basic Serios Holy Monks for Stride) can cast 1 warp, and some utility gambits, while still keeping up with the party to use Restore. It's not always going to be the best option, but it doesn't hurt at all to go for it.

Of course, since you're on NG+, getting to Dark Knight might be reasonable instead. In which case, at A Reason he learns Excalibur, which is pretty darn good for one-shotting fliers. I think Dark Knight is much more acceptable for him, if you can spare the Reknown, and have trained him high enough in Reason in prior playthroughs. You might not have trained him in Lances and Riding, but if you can buy him up to A Reason and Faith early enough, you'll have plenty of time to get the ranks by level 30.

This all being said, he is perfectly happy just being a Bishop. But it never hurts to have options.

Oh, and something else to note that nobody else has said. Every skill rank is worth the same amount of Renown. 500, IIRC gets you from E to E+, or from S to S+. As such, if your Renown supply is in question, trying letting units train up their skills to D or D+ before buying the rest with Renown. Given that their core skills start at D+, you can much more reasonably rush those to A and never have to worry about spending training time on them again, so that leaves you with plenty of time to let off skills gain a few ranks naturally.
`/\ |\ | | \ `-|- `|_| |-_|) |-_`|` `|` |)
/--\ | \| | / ` | `|` | |_ |\ |_` |__| ` |\
asm335 1 month ago#8
If you're sticking with all 8 Golden Deer students, I think the easiest/most effective way to go is to just add Catherine, Cyril, and Seteth to make up your 12 unit squad. If you're adamant about having a dedicated physic user (assuming that you're making Marianne the dancer or a dedicated Frozen Lance user), Linhardt is the obvious choice to replace one of the 3 faculty units I suggested.
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/204445-fire-emblem-three-houses/79804331 - My 2nd Crimson Flower Maddening Run
GraphG 1 month ago#9
What do you think are the most important paralogues for the team I am running? Like in BL the Marianne/Caspar paralogue is tough if you don't level Caspar. Are there any paralogues I should be looking to do with benched characters where the benched character actually needs to not have no levels so I can prepare properly?
I love GC especially PSO
asm335 1 month ago#10
GraphG posted...
What do you think are the most important paralogues for the team I am running? Like in BL the Marianne/Caspar paralogue is tough if you don't level Caspar. Are there any paralogues I should be looking to do with benched characters where the benched character actually needs to not have no levels so I can prepare properly?

The only one that’s a must in my opinion that you also need to recruit out of house for is the Catherine/Ashe (you only need one of them to get it so make it Catherine) paralogue for Shoes of the Wind. Close behind that would be Sylvain’s for the Lance of Ruin, Gautier Knights battalion, the stat booster items, and the easiest class grinding spot in the game.

Totally optional ones that may help depending on what your plans are would be Felix’s for Fraldarius Soldiers battalion, Lindhardt to activate the Leonie/Linhardt part 2 paralogue if you wanted a 2nd battalion with Blessing, and Ferdinand for the Ferdie/Lysithea paralogue and the couple of possibly useful battalions it provides.
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/204445-fire-emblem-three-houses/79804331 - My 2nd Crimson Flower Maddening Run
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. Golden Deer Maddening NG+ no DLC recommendations
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A