• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. Why do people call Edelgard selfish?

User Info: SirBob1137

SirBob1137
5 days ago#1
I honestly don’t understand this. I’ve been playing through CF again, and it strikes me just how selfless her goal is. Now, that doesn’t mean it right or wrong, but it is selfless. She is giving up her teenage years, her entire life, to bring about a world where people can rise and fall by their own merits. Her goal isn’t to benefit her. In fact, she gives her life to fulfill her goal, something Claude never does, and something Dimitri does because of his... madness. Edelgard is willing to sacrifice her soul and humanity, trying to bring about a world she believes is ideal.

Im not saying that her plan is perfect, but I don’t see why people think that it is selfish. Now, I believe that the best government is one that the people can control, while still giving people with knowledge enough power to keep everyone from doing something stupid. I get that war isn’t an ideal way to do things, but she is something of a George Washington of her time, at least in her opinion. She causes a war to bring about a better place for everyone, a worthy goal.

And I know that Dimitri claims that the world Edelgard wants to make is one where only the strong survive, but frankly, that’s how things should be in life. If you work hard and become strong, then you should be able to get a proper reward. You shouldn’t just be born rich, and entitled to a throne, despite being a Sylvain and not taking anything seriously. Of course this will favor those born with money, but now they’ll have to work to keep their funds and such, while a hard working commoner can also achieve the same status.

Overall I think that it’s a worthy goal that Edelgard fights for, and one that will not benefit her much. It would be much better for her personally to just live her life with a crest, and have her royalty set in stone. But she sacrifices her own life and time to achieve a goal that she deems worthy. While she might be overconfident that her way is the best way, that is not the same as selfish. Anyway, those are my thoughts. That’s the case I present to why she is not selfish. Anyway, have a good day y’all.

User Info: Tmaster148

Tmaster148
5 days ago#2
I'm willing to bet the people calling her selfish haven't played her route.
http://i.imgur.com/BBcZDLJ.png

User Info: HayashiTakara

HayashiTakara
5 days ago#3
she doesn't care about others opinions, her own opinion is the right opinion. Oh and she believes evil gray skinned people who killed her entire family tells her the truth.
NNID: HTakara82 - Add me if you're looking for a good time, lol
NS FC: SW-6233-5661-0820
(edited 5 days ago)

User Info: StellaLunaris

StellaLunaris
5 days ago#4
Hayas***akara posted...
Oh and she believes evil gray skinned people who killed her entire family tells her the truth.

And here I thought Terra from Kingdom Hearts was a poor judge of character for going along with Maleficent! :p
https://society6.com/redpawdesigns
I draw stuff. Buy a pillow to support your butt AND my gaming backlog collection

User Info: Heatmizer91

Heatmizer91
5 days ago#5
People don't really understand the whole story if they can't see Edelgards motivation. Spoilers below:

Edelgard knows the secrets passed down from Wilhelm I that go against the Church's version of history. She believes that the church is corrupt and that she is the only one who can overthrow the church, a necessary step in dismantling the crest system. Problem is she can't teach others that knowledge without the church crying heresy. She's also convinced that Faerghus and Liecester would side with the church in an all out war, a war that would be inevitable if she just got rid of the crest system in Adrestia. Not to mention those who might defect given an ultimatum that only Adrestia is rejecting crests (Von Aegir)

FC 0470-8412-9627

User Info: Juliansol

Juliansol
5 days ago#6
She litterally becomes a military dicator. An Caspar even calls her out for being self centered in there support.

User Info: uberking422

uberking422
5 days ago#7
I would consider her more "egocentric" and guilty of a significant degree of naive cynicism. She seems largely driven by her own personal tragedies and a desire to grant them greater meaning through accomplishing her goals by any means, while at the same time judging those who are motivated by their own past tragedies as hopelessly misguided at best and outright villainous at worst. She also seems to frequently project her own worldview onto situations she only has a narrow view of, though I think whether she genuinely believes her interpretation of every situation must be the correct one or is willfully co-opting other people's stories to push her own narrative is open to interpretation at times.

User Info: Homura_Maxwell

Homura_Maxwell
5 days ago#8
I don't think she's selfish, but I do think she's overly stubborn. She even says that Claude and her have very similar hopes for the future, but since he "hasn't suffered enough in this land," (according to her, at least) he's not ready to rule. Like, ??? What even?

Her reasons for not siding with him might as well be "because you're not white like I am"

She's giving herself rights she shouldn't have because she suffered stuff from people who shifted the blame on to the church. She's not selfish. "Stupid" is more like it.

But I'm exaggerating, "naive" is the actual word. She's too naive and self important, and that makes for a very bad combination of traits for an Emperor to have.
Favorite 3H characters: Claude, Hilda, Dorothea, Sylvain, Linhardt
It's 2020 and I still don't understand why people like Tales of Vesperia

User Info: Aurusia

Aurusia
5 days ago#9
Homura_Maxwell posted...
Her reasons for not siding with him might as well be "because you're not white like I am"

She's not entirely wrong. Culture is an important thing that seems to be missed by a lot of people. Claude didn't grow up in Fodlan and was never subject to the effects of the crest system and the abuse that the people of Fodlan have gone through under it. If you don't understand the problem, you can never hope to fix it and you will be considered detached and ultimately deposed.

----

I don't think many people will ever understand what Edelgard stands for as most of us have already grown in a society where difficult choices are made for us by our politicians on a day to day basis and I doubt anyone here has ever lived in a country where you are artificially put down by the circumstances of your birth. Edelgard is a ruler who has to weigh those issues and options herself. It's difficult and she admits she's trash for choosing to go to war, but at the end of the day she only played the cards that were already dealt for her.

User Info: HayashiTakara

HayashiTakara
5 days ago#10
Homura_Maxwell posted...
I don't think she's selfish, but I do think she's overly stubborn. She even says that Claude and her have very similar hopes for the future, but since he "hasn't suffered enough in this land," (according to her, at least) he's not ready to rule. Like, ??? What even?

She's giving herself rights she shouldn't have because she suffered stuff from people who shifted the blame on to the church. She's not selfish. "Stupid" is more like it.

But I'm exaggerating, "naive" is the actual word. She's too naive and self important, and that makes for a very bad combination of traits for an Emperor to have.

Nothing is more dangerous than someone who is wrong but thinks they're right.
NNID: HTakara82 - Add me if you're looking for a good time, lol
NS FC: SW-6233-5661-0820
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. Why do people call Edelgard selfish?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A