• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. Edelgard's motivation - Azure Moon

User Info: Tuvalu

Tuvalu
1 week ago#1
I've just finished Azure Moon and it feels like a massive oversight was that they haven't actually explained what the f*** Edelgard was thinking.
So she wants a society without the influence of the church or class systems. Cool, you do that.
So why did she decide that she needed to conquer the whole of Fodlan to do this? She's already the monarch of her own country. Why didn't she just reinstate these reforms inside her own country?
What was with her obsession with forcing everybody else to follow her beliefs? At times she seemed downright ignorant and racist and refused to consider the situation of others.
Crests may just be a status symbol in the Empire, but if she actually looked into the culture of the Kingdom or Alliance then she'd know that they needed the power of crests to ward off invasions because they weren't as strong of a superpower.

It feels like she looked at her own flawed country and then decided that everywhere else was the same and they must do what she commands as well. Which route should I play next to actually understand why she decided to conquer everybody instead of just excommunicating the church and fixing her own country?

User Info: Juliansol

Juliansol
1 week ago#2
ahahaha don’t expect a real explanation

User Info: Wolferrum

Wolferrum
1 week ago#3
I would say Crimson Flower next, but if you plan to do all four then Silver Snow and Verdant Wind will be back-to-back and you really don't want them back-to-back.

So I'll say try SS > CF > VW or the reverse order. You can save before the path split between SS and CF if you don't want to go through WC an extra time, though make sure you raise Edelgard and Hubert and don't make Flayn your Dancer if you do so.
FE Fates Castle Code: 11256-06930-03502-45315
Switch: 4258-1217-0517

Juliansol
1 week ago#4
Fun fact the empire kicked the church out over 100 years ago. But am is actually her at her most likable

User Info: DoctorPiranha3

DoctorPiranha3
1 week ago#5
Because she's on the same level as Hitler and Stalin and thinks that the ends justifies the means. Think about it, she thinks siding with a group of evil terrorists literally worse than ISIS is okay so long as it helps her achieve her goals.

I hate caste systems as much as the next guy, but Edelgard is a radicalist and completely insane.
The 30th post in this topic

User Info: StellaLunaris

StellaLunaris
1 week ago#6
The game has a big problem with telling and not showing.

To this day I still don't understand her logic of "I weighed all the options and this war will have less casualties" like... WHAT options? What was your inner thought process for that? Because the only thing I got from CF is her whining about people not surrendering. Did she really think people would roll over instantly? 'Cause that's just...painfully naive.

Shoulda brought back the Memory Prisms from Echoes.
https://society6.com/redpawdesigns
I draw stuff. Buy a pillow to support your butt AND my gaming backlog collection

Juliansol
1 week ago#7
StellaLunaris posted...
The game has a big problem with telling and not showing.

To this day I still don't understand her logic of "I weighed all the options and this war will have less casualties" like... WHAT options? What was your inner thought process for that? Because the only thing I got from CF is her whining about people not surrendering. Did she really think people would roll over instantly? 'Cause that's just...painfully naive.

Shoulda brought back the Memory Prisms from Echoes.
She wants the whole continent. The elite tribes are a different ethnicity. Why would they ever give up there country.

User Info: ljyii98

ljyii98
1 week ago#8
She thinks the kingdom and the alliance belong to the empire and it’s not completely unreasonable for her to think so considering the story that’s passed down from emperor to emperor.

User Info: Edgelord1997

Edgelord1997
1 week ago#9
Wolferrum posted...
So I'll say try SS > CF > VW or the reverse order. You can save before the path split between SS and CF if you don't want to go through WC an extra time, though make sure you raise Edelgard and Hubert and don't make Flayn your Dancer if you do so.
This, though I recommend doing in reverse order as he said.

You'll see the reason in VW why the war started.
The Reaper comes for your soul.... If Edward Falcon is not in Infinite.

User Info: Tuvalu

Tuvalu
1 week ago#10
ljyii98 posted...
She thinks the kingdom and the alliance belong to the empire and it’s not completely unreasonable for her to think so considering the story that’s passed down from emperor to emperor.
that's just stupid to me though and not really an excuse because she IS conquering these places for her own gain to force them to follow her ideals too
I don't want to be the guy who brings up hitler but that's the exact same justification other dictators have used
"welll uhhmmmm actually it's rightfully OUR clay"
when somebody else has been living there for 400 years and developed their own society and culture I'm pretty sure that land doesn't belong to you anymore
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. Edelgard's motivation - Azure Moon
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A