• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. Realistically how less of a challenge is Maddening

User Info: kanon951

kanon951
2 months ago#1
when you play on a NG+?

So, I'm fairly new to the series and I like this game a lot. I've been through my first playthrough on Hard which was a nice challenge up to a point where I managed to make some units really OP which made the game as if I was playing on Normal.

I'm currently planning on doing a new playthrough but from what I've seen and read Maddening difficulty have some really jacked up stats and you have to plan every single move in order to not get destroyed (not to mention the infamous Chapter 13). For veterans of this game, how much of a challenge would you say will be taken away if I use some of the bonuses of NG+?

Is that a fair middle ground between the standard Hard and standard Maddening difficulty?

User Info: sonicnewboy

sonicnewboy
2 months ago#2
It's a fair middle ground yes. It's not as easy as hard, so it's more enjoyable to play through. But it's also significantly easier than a new game. The reason is that your statues are not reset, so units will gain class experience much faster, mastering new skills faster which gives them more options in battle.

I think I've had my share of NG and will be doing NG+ from now forward. It's just a lot more fun having more options with what you can do with characters.
FC: 2449-4776-5871 (New Boy)

User Info: Ssa00

Ssa00
2 months ago#3
Maddening is not so hard that you have to plan every single move. Many players uploading their play (and me) goof up a lot and we manage. Just make sure to use battalions to the fullest extent of benefits they provide and don't train too many units.

Early game will be much easier with NG+. To give you an idea, I did BE at NG+ before restarting with NG after 7 chapters or so because it was too easy because of carry over battalions (I didn't use crest items, only buying prof level and support levels). The difference early on will be killing each enemy in 3 hits vs 2 hits I think. Which means that you need to pull the enemies more carefully to be able to gang up and manage the damage you can eat during counters since healing is limited early on and the benefit of additional protection from battalions is gone.

Later in the game it'll be similar, I guess, barring carry over battalions allowing you to have more fliers or some OP gambits like Dance of Goddess or retribution early.

Since you find late game Hard to be easy, I'd say do NG, but choose easier house (BL or GD).

User Info: Baddap

Baddap
2 months ago#4
hard to say. you can do anything. you can play NG+ and not make use of anything you get from it, or you can completely break the game and give everyone Quick Riposte at lv1

it's your call

User Info: SirBob1137

SirBob1137
2 months ago#5
Personally, in my experience, I think I’d find doing it with NG+ to be less fulfilling. I thought about that, the said “Me, if you’re going to spend time on the ultimate challenge, you’re going all in”.
and so, while I can’t compare difficulties, I can say that knowing you got through a level on the hardest difficulty is most rewarding when you do it without any NG+. But that just might be me.

So is recommend that you play NG+ if you find hard mode too easy, and that’s why you’re playing Maddening. But if you’re playing for an ultimate challenge, go all in.

the major difference, I’d imagine, is that NG+ leaves more battles per week Allowing you to do seminars and such early game without falling too far behind level wise, or grinding up a crap ton extra to help yourself through the game.

all in all, personal preference. This might not have been useful, but... eh, some factors to consider.

User Info: Matezoide

Matezoide
2 months ago#6
You can do some ridiculous stuff like getting A+ Professor Rank, Death/Fiendish Blow and A Authority on your previous units right from the start while abusing the absurdly broken battalions.

But the cool thing with NG+ Madenning is that you don’t have to break the game, or you can break it just a little. For example, you can use renown to get your professor rank to C at the start rather than A, get less broken abilities at the start (or just don’t use the better ones until mid game), etc. NG+ in Three Houses allows you to tailor the difficulty to a level you feel comfortable with, the only NG+ bonus you are forced to make use of are the statues.
Founding member of the Macho Man church.

User Info: Mocorongo

Mocorongo
2 months ago#7
If you never use Renown to buy skills/supports/Professor Levels, NG+ can make Maddening a bit easier with:
-Statues bonuses will mitigate the exp/tutor exp penalties
-That maxed copy of Jeralt Mercenaries can be a lifesaver on the very first Mock Battle

Buying Authority levels is imho the most broken aspect of NG+ since there are lots of great Battalions even at C (I did a meme run with NG+ Maddening, Immortal Corps did wonders)
The best bless is health and money: With health you can do almost anything - money can let you do the rest
And a good health allows you to build money - win/win

User Info: Matezoide

Matezoide
2 months ago#8
Mocorongo posted...
If you never use Renown to buy skills/supports/Professor Levels, NG+ can make Maddening a bit easier with:
-Statues bonuses will mitigate the exp/tutor exp penalties
-That maxed copy of Jeralt Mercenaries can be a lifesaver on the very first Mock Battle

Buying Authority levels is imho the most broken aspect of NG+ since there are lots of great Battalions even at C (I did a meme run with NG+ Maddening, Immortal Corps did wonders)

I feel like buying Professor ranks is more broken if you actively abuse it to it’s full extent, but you are right that the strong battalions early game are pretty ridiculous. Something like Immortal Corps Byleth is basically going to tear the early game apart.

Hell, just using NG+ Batallions severely reduces the game’s difficulty, even if you don’t buy skill levels in authority. It isn’t hard to get your chars to at least C in authority fairly early into the game, and the maxed level Jeralt Corps is pretty strong.
Founding member of the Macho Man church.

User Info: FajitaEata

FajitaEata
2 months ago#9
Maddening NG + can legit be easier than hard if you want to go to the most extreme lengths to break the game. I think it's a good mode to adjust the difficulty to your preference.

User Info: Ice_General

Ice_General
2 months ago#10
I might try a maddening NG+ soon. NG+ hard was too easy, and most of my units (even my weakest ones) were at least 3-4 levels ahead of the mission level. I have tried no NG+ maddening before, but couldn't get past the first mock battle. With NG+ it might make it easier.
It's ice to meet you =)
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. Realistically how less of a challenge is Maddening
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A