• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. Why is Holy Knight considered such a bad class? (BL party building!)

User Info: igor140

igor140
1 week ago#1
My guess is two reasons:

1) the lack of Lancefaire
2) the overall low offensive use of white magic as compared to black magic... when almost every character who could qualify for HK could also qualify for DK

So if it can't magic better than a DK, can't poke better than a GK, can't heal better than a bishop, and can't "general magic" better than a gremory... what's the point?

Sooo... how screwed would I be if I made Ingrid a Holy Knight? Her Str and Mag are pretty close to equal. Neither is impressive-- 19 and 15 respectively at lvl 20 (and that's after +3 from passing the Paladin exam)-- but they're close enough that I might as well. I am also reasonably sure that she'll hit S+ spears before the time jump, even if she spends time as a Priest/ Bishop.

When I look at the BL roster, the obvious theme is "knighthood"... and what says that better than a whole team of mounted behemoths? Here are my thoughts (in order of priority):

Bylass: Great Knight using axes with Death Blow, Lifetaker, and Quick Riposte (carried over from a previous playthrough)
Dimitri: not sure... thinking Paladin, Great Lord, Great Knight, in that order. Thematically I think he should be mounted...
Felix: Mortal Savant. "Assassin!" Yeah... but I like MS for him. I'm think it was designed for him, visually. (Black Magic only)
Sylvain: Dark Knight with a heavy focus in spears. I can get him all the way to S+. (Black Magic only)
Ingrid: Holy Knight. Potentially Falcon Knight, depending on what I do with Constance.
Constance: Leaning towards Valkyrie for all the crazy artillery. Maybe a Dark Flyer and Ingrid a FK... but they'll be together.
Dorothea: Dancer leveled throughout as a Mage/ Warlock/ MS. She will also pass the Armored Knight exam for the Def boost
Mercedes: War Cleric, Holy Knight, or Valkyrie, in that order (White Magic only); lances would be tough to build : /
Petra: I was originally going to have her do the standard Assassin thing... but now I'm thinking Bow Knight. With a sword.
Hilda: Great Knight. Possibly WL if I make Ingrid and Constance flyers.
----- That is 10 -----
Marianne: Holy Knight
Ashe: Bow Knight, if I bother to build him all the way
Lysithea: May or may not make the team. I'll make her... whatever. Doesn't really matter; she'll blow **** up either way.
Dedue: Great Knight, if I bother to build him all the way... but probably punching things, because I think that's funny.
Annette: Dark Flyer? I'm not enthralled with her. She's low on the priority list.

So, obviously I'm going for thematic build rather than truly optimized ones. In both of my previous playthroughs, I ended the game with TONS of unused stat items and money, so I'm not real concerned with that. I'm also playing on Hard, which isn't too hard to prevent something like this.

Anyway, thoughts? Suggestions of others to try out?
FFBE: 229.361.850; 2000 hyoh, 1200/1350 malphasie, 1600 TT (SoT)

User Info: Tmaster148

Tmaster148
1 week ago#2
White Tomefaire is largely useless.
Terrain Resistance is basically useless as well.
So the only class skill it has going for it is Canto.

It's not so much it's a bad class, but you would just get so much more going Dark Knight over it since Dark Knight provides more useful skills outside Canto.
http://i.imgur.com/BBcZDLJ.png

User Info: Yellow_King

Yellow_King
1 week ago#3
If it were good then Rodrigue would still be with us...

User Info: igor140

igor140
1 week ago#4
Thinking through this again, I think I'm going to change up:

Petra: FK
Ingrid: FK
Constance: Dark Flyer
Which would give me a fully sustainable flying attack squad.

Also, I just realized Mercedes CAN'T be a valkyrie without Black Magic >_<. So I guess she's either WC or HK... kind of thinking I should stick with my theme, and have Dorothea and Felix as my only ground units...

EDIT: I rethought my rethinking! Back to all horse-mounted units. I like the idea of Ingrid as a HK, even if it's not ideal. That does make Mercedes a bit of a liability, though: almost no offense and limited healing spells : / Back to WC she goes. She'll join Felix and Dorothea.
FFBE: 229.361.850; 2000 hyoh, 1200/1350 malphasie, 1600 TT (SoT)

User Info: DoomWarrior

DoomWarrior
1 week ago#5
It’s completely outclassed by Dark Knight and Valkyrie in terms of Mage Knight classes

User Info: EdeaCreamer

EdeaCreamer
1 week ago#6
I'm not 100% certain White Tomefaire needs removing in spite of it being...of questionable worth, but the Terrain Resistance passive on the class was a huge mistake.

All the class needs is for that to be replaced with one of White Magic Uses x2, OR White Magic Heal +5/+10. Not both, as that's too much over a Bishop. I'm thinking the White Magic Heal +5, honestly, as that simulates a -faire for Healing spells and isn't stronger than the Bishop's +10.
Fifth of cognac, add some triple-sec...

User Info: DarkRPGMaster

DarkRPGMaster
1 week ago#7
White Tomefaire doesn't really need to exist due to how few attack spells anybody can get in Faith, and Terrain Resistance only effects negative terrain (which there are very few maps it can work with). White Magic Uses x2 and White Magic Heal +5 would do far better for it.
PSN RyuDragnier, Pawn Kyna, Ranger lvl 200

User Info: Tmaster148

Tmaster148
1 week ago#8
DarkRPGMaster posted...
White Tomefaire doesn't really need to exist due to how few attack spells anybody can get in Faith, and Terrain Resistance only effects negative terrain (which there are very few maps it can work with). White Magic Uses x2 and White Magic Heal +5 would do far better for it.

Tbf. Lyisthea can actually make decent use out of White Tomefaire due to having 3 offensive faith spells. The problem is, she is the only unit with that situation and she would still be better off as a Dark Knight.

http://i.imgur.com/BBcZDLJ.png

User Info: EdeaCreamer

EdeaCreamer
1 week ago#9
Maybe Lancefaire and White Magic Heal +10?

I find myself now feeling wary about doubling charges on any mounted mage.
Fifth of cognac, add some triple-sec...

User Info: EpicJourney

EpicJourney
1 week ago#10
Ways they can make HK viable:
  1. Change the effect of White Tomefaire so that it also boosts healing.
  2. Change the effect of Terrain Resistance so that it ignores terrain hazards and restrictions (just like fliers; minus going over walls, buildings, water, etc.).
If you don't want none, don't start none.
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. Why is Holy Knight considered such a bad class? (BL party building!)
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A