• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. How many characters should I realistically be using on NG Maddening?

User Info: dotsdfe

dotsdfe
1 month ago#1
So, I started up another run recently after finishing CS, and I've quickly hit a quandary: I'd like to use everyone in my house (Blue Lions this time, my first time on the route), but I also really want to slot in some of the DLC characters.

On Hard, I was able to pretty easily keep rotating through around 13 (Byleth and the 8 GDers + Seteth, Linhardt, Felix, and Cyril) without much trouble. With the lower EXP gains in Maddening, though, I feel like trying to use 13 here (By + Blue Lions + all four Ashen Wolves) would be a death trap, and even cutting Hapi, who I found to be kind of dead weight in CS, would leave me with a dicey 12.

What's a reasonable number for the amount of units I should try to keep trained up? I just finished the Zanado/Red Canyon chapter against the thieves, so I'm still pretty early on in Maddening, but I'm trying to plan things out a bit, and I feel like I really need to train the AWs up early on if I'm going to use them.
Winner of the Third Hacked User Contest.
World's #1 Phoenix Wright fan.

User Info: AC1

AC1
1 month ago#2
Low manning is a trap in maddening.

Ideal army size: 15 units to 20 units

Easiest army size: 15 units

Obtaining enough skill experience for A+ level armour/ A+ level riding/ A+ level weight will be a challenge.

User Info: Fresita

Fresita
1 month ago#3
Honestly, your current class + maybe 3 or 4 recruited units. I say this out of my reunion chapter trauma, like, really, if you decide to bench 2 or 3 students from your class to deploy another class' student, the forced deploy will be kinda heavy in that chapter plus the unavailable recruited units' absence will feel real bad there too. So maybe focus completely in your own class and wait for the church units to be available since they are the easiest to recruit. If you have NG+ just get whoever you want
Sorry for bad english , I try my best

dotsdfe
1 month ago#4
AC1 posted...
Low manning is a trap in maddening.

Ideal army size: 15 units to 20 units

Easiest army size: 15 units

Obtaining enough skill experience for A+ level armour/ A+ level riding/ A+ level weight will be a challenge.

I feel like 13ish is about as high as I'd want to go for active fighters, unless there's a strong argument otherwise, honestly. The EXP gains seem low enough that I'd rather try to budget it a little bit.

Fresita posted...
Honestly, your current class + maybe 3 or 4 recruited units. I say this out of my reunion chapter trauma, like, really, if you decide to bench 2 or 3 students from your class to deploy another class' student, the forced deploy will be kinda heavy in that chapter plus the unavailable recruited units' absence will feel real bad there too. So maybe focus completely in your own class and wait for the church units to be available since they are the easiest to recruit. If you have NG+ just get whoever you want

Yeah, that's more or less what I was thinking.

I'd honestly be down to just use my class + Yuri/Balthus/Constance. Hapi was really weak for me in CS, so I'm hesitant to use her again aside from maybe as an adjutant for support reasons or something.

I love Seteth, but if I can't find a slot for him, I can live without doubling down on using him, I guess.

Also, yeah, the reunion chapter is definitely on my mind. I struggled a tiny bit on that on Hard because my Ignatz and Leonie were both severely RNG screwed and kind of underleveled at that point, so just not getting them killed early on in that chapter was a bit tough. I'd like to keep my class leveled properly if I can, so it's just a matter of who else I can use in addition to them.

User Info: HermelinHero

HermelinHero
1 month ago#5
Yeah it might be a good idea not use Hapi for BL, I used her and Yuri but man she was a liability in that final chapter...

dotsdfe
1 month ago#6
Bump in case anyone has any additional thoughts. From both here and additional research, the general consensus seems to be 12, which would give me my entire class + Yuri/Balthus/Constance, and I could slot Hapi in as an adjutant or something.

User Info: Ridelwofr

Ridelwofr
1 month ago#7
10-11

User Info: Chefcook90

Chefcook90
1 month ago#8
12 is a good number, but you gotta make sure you know how to properly build those 12 to capitalize on their strengths.

You'll definitely want to work with your core class, since you have the most flexibility when tutoring them.
I actually like Rhea - It's her fanboys who I can't stand.
"Now I am become /rant, the destroyer of threads." - a user laments his giant walls of text

User Info: AC1

AC1
1 month ago#9
You forget the fact Byleth can tutor 7 units per week (once professor level is A+).

User Info: aimingdevice

aimingdevice
1 month ago#10
You should use your starting house + anywhere from 2-5 extra recruited units (it varies because you have the option of going the SS route which makes you lose 2 units from your starting house). In the end, you want to maybe have at least 12 units including Byleth.

You can also not use them for combat but you can have up to 3 units for the sole purpose as serving as adjutants. Aim for defensive adjutants for foot locked units or the rare combo adjutants that greatly boost a pair like Byleth+Flayn, Ingrid+Sylvain, etc., when attacking.
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. -Sun Tzu
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. How many characters should I realistically be using on NG Maddening?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A