• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. How is ng+ maddening even considered as cheating the game?

User Info: tkh1234567890

tkh1234567890
3 days ago#21
Regal_Bryant12 posted...
If it's in the game it's not cheating.

Play how you want TC, and f*** the rest of the community.
It is in the game but if you use it people still feel it is underhanded despite it being legit. If they add instakill to the game and people use it sure they can but people will comment it is breaking the game and that's what I want to ask about. Why would adding ng+ things break any difficulty maybe even the next one if they make more?
The arcana is the mean by which all is revealed

tkh1234567890
3 days ago#22
spikethedevil posted...
TC it's dangerous to go alone, take these,,,,,,,,,,,,, As well as paragraph brakes lol.
What are you talking about? You don't seem to be responding to my post here.
It's not so much cheating as it is against the spirit of the mode. Maddening is supposed to be, well... maddening. You're strapped for resources and constantly on the back-foot against superior enemy forces. Playing in NG+ gives you all the resources needed to tip the scales back in your favor, to the point where it's basically NG hard mode but slightly less forgiving of low manning.

Partly I think it's just a reaction to brag topics from around when it was first released. "Went into Maddening in NG+ after Hard, barely challenged me at all," sorts of things. Can't brag about overcoming a challenge on one hand while admitting to using tools that dramatically simplify the game on the other.
The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
(edited 3 days ago)

User Info: FFT-Fan

FFT-Fan
3 days ago#24
I just think of them as 2 separate difficulty modes and probably leads to more smooth difficulty progression for Hard Mode players. Hard ▶ Maddening NG+ ▶ Maddening fresh NG. Veteran players could skip Maddening NG+ but others who find the difficulty spike to be steep compared to Hard mode might like things better this way. It's fair to use NG+ if you want to since it exists in the game. I consider anything that exists as an actual option on the game, anything that doesn't require hacking the game like GameShark on older games, to be fair game to use if I want to though I can also gain enjoyment on future playthroughs through imposed limits. It can simply be an excuse to play Maddening 8 times rather than 4 times and calling it done.

If we get Infernal difficulty someday, it would likely be fully assuming NG+ will be used to the max by the player and with optimal builds. Even then, a hypothetical Infernal difficulty could be considered like 2 modes since skilled players like Rengor could be able to win Infernal without NG+ and I imagine it would feel a lot like 0% growths Maddening.

Although it may be unlikely they will add Infernal since I only see chances of that happening if we get a Season 2/second expansion pass for Three Houses. The developers might feel like the mode might not be fun either, since likely it'd be more stat inflation, enemies all having Quick Riposte and maybe broken skills like Vantage+(counter 1st regardless of HP %), Hawkeye(Attack accuracy always 100%), Aegis+/Pavise+(100% activation rate) etc coming back. Enemies could have combat arts like Curved Shot, Deadeye, Windsweep. Archers could have Close Counter

Another fun aspect to shake things up could be DLC classes added for enemies like even just changing some of the reinforcements to be the new classes. The difficulty would be overkill of course but I'd welcome it all the same since we could get even more time on the game.

User Info: Tombstone1988

Tombstone1988
3 days ago#25
tkh1234567890 posted...
Not significantly at least that part is true. I play ng+ and still have to think as hard on how to beat the early part of the game so it doesn't feel easier at all. How people find it easier I don't get it. Balancing it to be reasonable is not making it easier it is making it more humane which is what ng should have done but did not do. Which actually I also don't know what ng+ does to make the game easier at the early part. I find that it makes it easier so that I don't have to save scum a lot and that means more gameplay time than menu fiddling time.

With NG+, you have access to:

-All statue bonuses acquired from your previous playthrough
-Access to all previously acquired battalions
-Ability to purchase any class mastery/skill rank that unit acquired in a previous playthrough
-Ability to purchase Professor rank
-Access to unique accessories that give units crest abilities
-Access to end-game equipment at the armory immediately
-Probably a couple of other things I've forgotten about

Individually, none of these are "broken." However, by using all of these in tandem, the difficulty of the game, particularly early on, drops immensely. If you want to see what I mean, try Chapter 1 on Maddening without NG+, then try Chapter 1 on Maddening with purchasing Authority and equipping end-game battalions. The difference in difficulty is basically night-and-day. Basically, NG+ lets you manually tone down the game's difficulty depending on how many of its bonuses you apply. That's what most mean when they call it "broken."

User Info: A-Omega16

A-Omega16
3 days ago#26
I realized long ago in in the gaming community, everyone has their own definition of “cheating” now lol
"You might as well give up"
Some advice from the best girl Hilda
(edited 3 days ago)

User Info: Von23

Von23
3 days ago#27
NG+ is for having fun and breaking s*** in the game.

I completely avoided NG+ and Statues when it came to my maddening mode playthrough.
"Decorating your own meltdowns is all well and good,but a trainwreck is a trainwreck and it might be time to get a paramedic."

tkh1234567890
3 days ago#28
KariyaLollipop posted...
It's not so much cheating as it is against the spirit of the mode. Maddening is supposed to be, well... maddening. You're strapped for resources and constantly on the back-foot against superior enemy forces. Playing in NG+ gives you all the resources needed to tip the scales back in your favor, to the point where it's basically NG hard mode but slightly less forgiving of low manning.

Partly I think it's just a reaction to brag topics from around when it was first released. "Went into Maddening in NG+ after Hard, barely challenged me at all," sorts of things. Can't brag about overcoming a challenge on one hand while admitting to using tools that dramatically simplify the game on the other.
But except what are you actually given to even the odds? In ng I would just save scum if I get rotten luck and it is pretty much the same thing at the end which I don't have to do in ng+ and I can instead just play the game over the menu.
tkh1234567890 posted...
But except what are you actually given to even the odds? In ng I would just save scum if I get rotten luck and it is pretty much the same thing at the end which I don't have to do in ng+ and I can instead just play the game over the menu.
You are given (and this is likely an incomplete list since it has been a minute since I've done a NG+ run):
All statue bonuses from previous runs
A significant chunk of renown to fill out remaining bonuses
^ Increased class, weapon, and unit exp by consequence, effectively removing the major challenge of being comparatively underpowered through most of the game
^ Increased resources (gold, action points, etc) since you do not have to invest as much into staying competitive early game
Renown skill/professor level purchases, which are frankly so broken that I put them alongside MyCastle in the list of things that all but invalidate difficulty in any mode

None of this is cheating. What it is, I'd argue, is defeating the purpose. If you're playing maddening then you are doing so, given the absence of any tangible reward, for the challenge. And all of the above significantly cuts the challenge. Another poster noted NG+ Maddening is like its own difficulty and I think that's a fair thing to say; it's certainly harder than NG Hard but it's a cakewalk relative to NG Maddening. If a player wants to use NG+ bonuses or save scumming or boss abuse then that's all fine, play as you'd like. But anyone looking to get the most challenge out of the game will not get that in NG+.
The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

User Info: FFT-Fan

FFT-Fan
2 days ago#30
KariyaLollipop posted...
You are given (and this is likely an incomplete list since it has been a minute since I've done a NG+ run):
All statue bonuses from previous runs
A significant chunk of renown to fill out remaining bonuses
^ Increased class, weapon, and unit exp by consequence, effectively removing the major challenge of being comparatively underpowered through most of the game
^ Increased resources (gold, action points, etc) since you do not have to invest as much into staying competitive early game
Renown skill/professor level purchases, which are frankly so broken that I put them alongside MyCastle in the list of things that all but invalidate difficulty in any mode

None of this is cheating. What it is, I'd argue, is defeating the purpose. If you're playing maddening then you are doing so, given the absence of any tangible reward, for the challenge. And all of the above significantly cuts the challenge. Another poster noted NG+ Maddening is like its own difficulty and I think that's a fair thing to say; it's certainly harder than NG Hard but it's a cakewalk relative to NG Maddening. If a player wants to use NG+ bonuses or save scumming or boss abuse then that's all fine, play as you'd like. But anyone looking to get the most challenge out of the game will not get that in NG+.
I agree with this. Though personally I'm just going to have it both ways by beating Maddening NG+ first then trying NG. I understand why just going to Maddening NG appeals to people but I choose to do it this way to stretch out my time with the game even further by doing both, and later I could do even more by doing meme runs using NG+. Even without NG+ stuff: Strategy & planning can even the odds, plus Divine pulse.

The AI is not bad but it doesn't use strategy the same way like a player would, other than being set up so things would go a certain way. It'll attack even if damage is 0 or hit rate is 0, it doesn't wait it out if I do something like have dodge tanks with Retribution. We can manipulate their attack targets using the predictive lines and shuffling equipment while backing out of the menu to just change things up before taking any turns then seeing if it changed. If Battalion Wrath + Battalion Vantage Dimitri is on the map with battalion endurance already low enough for them to trigger, like a late game AM map, beating him would require evaluating options and forming a plan.

If the AI had machine learning it would learn that to beat him it would need to deal chip damage until his battalion retreats via Gambits(Battalion abilities stop activating if endurance hits 0) and using attackers who can dodge or monsters who can't be crit while barrier is up or can attack from out of counter range if Retribution isn't up. Otherwise sending regular melee fodder to attack him just gets them critted. But they could move the fodder units to block Dimitri, yet not attack since Dimitri would take damage if he initiated combat & wouldn't have Alert Stance+ up(unless there's also a Dancer and he first waited then attacked on 2nd turn to attack with AS+ up) or have extra crit from Battalion Wrath or guaranteed double from Quick Riposte since they only work on enemy phase. They could just go after supporting units like healers & Retribution user/other support gambit users. Bolting mages & archers could just wait it out if Retribution is up then just attack when it's gone. On early maps the enemies zerg rushing the player would make things a lot harder although on late game maps with lots of reinforcements, regrouping most units to stay near the commander and turtling could make things harder(Turn 1 warp cheese aside).

But the AI doesn't have machine learning, we can count on the AI to make mistakes like sending everybody to attack Dimitri while he has wrath + vantage + retribution up, and they generally act predictably. They don't really adapt to what we do.
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. How is ng+ maddening even considered as cheating the game?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A