• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. Does anyone have a good reason for siding with Edelgard? (CF route spoilers)

Nomight posted...
not universally if only one site says this

Seriously, how old are you.
Nomight posted...
not universally if only one site says this

ya..ima derp but have you seen fe twitter?

>using twitter
"Sony's not a Japanese company anymore just America's dog."
http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/9212646.html
(edited 3 days ago)

User Info: Chr0noid

Chr0noid
3 days ago#142
They say they're still arguing about Edelgard to this very day
"In a society that has abolished adventure, the only adventure left is to abolish society."
Parisian graffito, 1968

User Info: NightCats

NightCats
3 days ago#143
Chr0noid posted...
They say they're still arguing about Edelgard to this very day
And people will think that means TH has good writing.
FC 4313 4223 4227

User Info: Nomight

Nomight
3 days ago#144
GallantChaddymn posted...
Seriously, how old are you.

>using twitter

and i know right? im a dumb dumb

User Info: Arcangel22

Arcangel22
3 days ago#145
kollie89 posted...
And most people don’t care to hear the motives behind someone breaking in and stealing their stuff.

I’m not sure why people are fixated on saying Rhea was in the wrong because she doesn’t bend over backwards and isn’t in a listening mood when Edelgard breaks into a place she considers sacred and says “we’re robbing this place, stay out of our way or die”
And yet even after Edelgard fails in every route doing just that, the result is the same. She leaves and declares war on the Church, and Rhea happily obliges.

There is literally not a single point where Rhea even considers diplomacy. Ever. She doesn't listen to any heretic, and while some are worth ignoring, others aren't. She could've directly stopped an entire war by just swallowing her pride, owning up to her mistakes, and opening talks with Edelgard. Then so many truths could've been laid bare, and every single leader would come to better understandings with each other because of it. Then they could've focused on weeding out TWSitD instead, the real(?) Threat.

But that is not how humans (or dragon people, whatever) usually work, and that's why this works as a story. It's easier to lash out in anger than take a step back and be willing to admit when we're wrong.

The conflict in this game is just as much Rhea's fault as it is Edelgard's. It would be an entirely different debate if Rhea offered a chance for peace talks, and Edelgard refused or killed her in response. Then this would be an entirely different discussion.

Claude even agrees on Edelgard's ideal and wants the Seiros ideal on Crests abolished. Nobody says he's in the wrong either, despite sharing the exact same ideal. Real quick, but saying Rhea doesn't care about Crests and their dominance in society don't seem to understand much of the Seiros faith (which is her, btw, so hard to argue her own belief there).

But mm, I really don't see how people don't understand that the key to this story is that there's not one completely right answer, and that's why it works.
The Internet: 90% of it sucks, but every now and then...you find that 10% that's even worse. You're here just like me? Welcome to the 10%.

User Info: Skandrae

Skandrae
3 days ago#146
Arcangel22 posted...
The conflict in this game is just as much Rhea's fault as it is Edelgard's. It would be an entirely different debate if Rhea offered a chance for peace talks, and Edelgard refused or killed her in response. Then this would be an entirely different discussion.

The person being declared war on is not just as responsible as the warmonger for the war. That's insane.

Edelgards group took a number of vicious, unprovoked actions, against Rhea and the church, including theft, attempted murder, and ACTUAL murder.

. Real quick, but saying Rhea doesn't care about Crests and their dominance in society don't seem to understand much of the Seiros faith (which is her, btw, so hard to argue her own belief there).

The Seiros faith doesn't preach dominance of people with crests at all. It preaches that crests are gifts from the goddess, and people used that to establish a class society.

Notice that the other nations around Fodlan have the exact same problems (racism, classism, a system of nobles ruling commoners).

The Church teachings on crests are meant to protect people with crests from persecution. That's it. Everything else is just humans being human.

But mm, I really don't see how people don't understand that the key to this story is that there's not one completely right answer, and that's why it works.

Nah, the problem is that they tried to make a gray story but didn't go all the way.

If TWSIS didn't exist, make Rhea have actually been responsible for some of their shady actions, made Dimitri less sympathetic, and made Edelgard act the same on all routes, it would have worked.

As it is, theres a whole lot more white and black than gray.
Witty game-related comment.

User Info: shamfuru

shamfuru
2 days ago#147
darkmoon6789 posted...
That is one of the things I have been trying to say all along, if Rhea actually gave Edelgard a chance for forgiveness and actually tried to understand why she did what she did, this might have prevented this entire conflict. Forgiveness and understanding are powerful things and such a response would give Edelgard pause and made her understand that Rhea might not be a complete monster. This conflict actually mostly exists because both sides believe the other to be irredeemably evil. If Rhea would be more open to Edelgard's suggestions of reforming the crest and nobility system, Rhea should also know it is corrupt in its current form, is no reason for Edelgard to declare war. (Other than pressure from those who slither in the dark, who is a common enemy between Edelgard and Rhea)

Nice to see a Christian support Edelgard. I used to be a Christian once upon a time, the reason I left was personal, but a major factor was the church leadership being unable to live up to the standards I expected of them. I value the ability to forgive quite highly and always annoys me when supposed holy people show zero empathy for other people. Cold judgement without mercy doesn't make anyone good
I cannot imagine why someone who knows and reasons so little is so loud and so absolute, yet here you are every day @darkmoon6789

First you need Contrition, then there is Repentance, then there is Penance, THEN there is Forgiveness. Like I told you and you went dissociative over: Mercy can only happen once Justice has completely neutralized a threat and prevented it from ever happening again. Mercy without Justice is the absolute worst evil imaginable.

Contrition requires you to have already stopped the thing and promised to never do it again.

Repentance means to literally go beyond your mind and reach a higher state of existence as your old one is too weak to handle your corruption.

Penance means to pay the price of what you have done.

Forgiveness looks a lot like Crime and Punishment by Fydor Dostoyevsky, anything less is more demonic than even the devil is.

you want "forgiveness," which you think is an ok to continue on sinning so you can do worse. I know your kind, and it is almost always sexual sin of some sort that sets off this miserable chain of events for you, either that or murder.

as for @Arcangel22 that is not shocking, the protestant heresy is the progenitor of freemasonry, atheism, marxism, and satanism. it's not hard to find all four even among the most ardent evangelical types.

Simply stated, "arc" serves two masters (in this case going by his posts liberal politics and the government, while pretending to give lip-service to God). As usual, he worships one master and comes to hate the other.

Also, this is for you (trigger warning; the talk contains cold, hard reality):
https://youtu.be/Sog1oZtt-Q4
"Any truth that a man fears will be good for his soul." - G. K. Chesterton
(edited 2 days ago)

User Info: miro13

miro13
2 days ago#148
Let’s see the Church was running the country like Nazi Germany. Killing of ethnic groups, surprising speech and alternating the truth to for their agenda. Random slaughtering of people who disagree
noct likes cats
(edited 2 days ago)

User Info: Jawaun

Jawaun
2 days ago#149
miro13 posted...
Let’s see the Church was running the country like Nazi Germany. Killing of ethnic groups, surprising speech and alternating the truth to for their agenda. Random slaughtering of people who disagree
First of all that's bull crap and you know it
The church didn't run the country I seriously don't understand how people think that
Second when the hate that the church kill ethnic groups that was the kingdom who attacked dusk
Third The church has never been shown to kill anyone who disagrees with them only people who attack them
And fourth why is this argument still going seriously why are y'all people treating this like it's real life
And last but not least the only thing close to Nazis is the empire and those who slither in the dark

(edited 2 days ago)

User Info: shamfuru

shamfuru
2 days ago#150
miro13 posted...
@miro13 you mean you are (as it seems all edelweis... I mean- edelgard fans do) accusing your enemies of what you are alone guilty of?

ironically, it was goebbels (nazi propaganda minister) and karl marx that came up with the idea to make their followers "accuse your enemies of what you are alone guilty of."
"Any truth that a man fears will be good for his soul." - G. K. Chesterton
(edited 2 days ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. Does anyone have a good reason for siding with Edelgard? (CF route spoilers)
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A