• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. Does anyone have a good reason for siding with Edelgard? (CF route spoilers)

User Info: HayashiTakara

HayashiTakara
4 days ago#11
chughes724 posted...
Rhea orders you to kill her, no exception. No trial, no questioning, nothing. Just kill her. Even if I believed Edelgard was wrong, I wouldn’t just execute her without a second thought.

why do you need a trial when everyone is there to witness the crime?

Let's use an example, assuming you love your parents, you were just chilling with your parents, someone comes out of nowhere and stabbed your mom in the throat, you going to tell me you're not going to do anything and wait for a trial?
NNID: HTakara82 - Add me if you're looking for a good time, lol
NS FC: SW-6233-5661-0820

User Info: AirRoar

AirRoar
4 days ago#12
Hayas***akara posted...

I believe the reason why he's asking is because during black eagles part 1, you're never let in on Edelgard's plans, you just have to blindly protect her, and hope you made the right choice. In part 2, its just up to you the player to agree with her plans and methods, you make the choice without knowing whats what, other than "must protect albino waifu"

This sums up my confusion. The transition is a bit jarring when Ed barges in the Holy Tomb, threatening everyone who resists with death, and then...... sure sign me up!

Hayas***akara posted...
no, they never gave a good reason. Byleth's response of "I chose to" is all you get. The route exists purely to S rank Edelgard.

(-_-;) This saddens me with all the missed story potential
EpicJourney posted...

And Hubert and Jeritza. Can't forget about them.

I can't even count Hubert as having a good reason. All I get from him is "Muzt obeeeyyy EdElgaRd.....". The way the story portrays his narrow minded devotion makes Hubert come across as an incredibly flat character. I initially thought he had the potential to have a lot of depth to his backstory.
2020 Hype lineup: Mega Man Zero/ZX Legacy Collection, Langrisser 1 & 2, Trials of Mana, Ys: Memories of Celceta Remaster, Brigandine: The Legend of Runersia
(edited 4 days ago)

User Info: rasendori85

rasendori85
4 days ago#13
chughes724 posted...
You’re getting reasons, you just don’t like them, so you don’t consider them good.

Indeed. Rhea's zealot nature gets put on display a few times before then. There's an active mystery that she did something to you as a baby, and a handful of hints that the history the church tells and other accounts don't match up. The Flame Emperor approaches you to say, "Yo, look, I know it looks like I'm rolling with these evil folks, and yeah, kinda, but not really, but yeah they crazy. Too crazy. And look, I wanna work with you, but I think you ain't really feeling me right now, and that's fair. Just now that s*** ain't me, a'ight?" Then later Edelgard's all "That dashing Flame Emperor's probably not working with those really evil guys that killed your dad? They must have their own, probably totally righteous reasons. I'm coming up with this idea all on my own cuz I wasn't there for your conversation with that handsome Flame Emperor or anything, haha. By the way the church and the system of Foldan's kinda messed up isn't it? It would be nice if someone took on the even the gods to change it. Wanna come see how this whole crest thing messed up dad with me? Then maybe I can paint you. Never mind, you didn't hear that last part."

You're given enough information to know that something's wrong with Rhea/The Church of Seiros, to question if there's good in the Flame Emperor’s motives, you where not so subtlety told that the Flame Emperor and TWSitD don't share the same goals, and you've established a trust for Eldegard at the point while losing trust in Rhea.

User Info: chughes724

chughes724
4 days ago#14
Hayas***akara posted...
why do you need a trial when everyone is there to witness the crime?

Let's use an example, assuming you love your parents, you were just chilling with your parents, someone comes out of nowhere and stabbed your mom in the throat, you going to tell me you're not going to do anything and wait for a trial?
That is such a different case, I’m not even going to bother answering that. Look at the situation:

You’re Byleth. You’ve been leading the Black Eagles for a year, and you’ve gotten close to all of the students, Edelgard included. Meanwhile, some of the Church’s practices are clearly shady. All of a sudden, Edelgard orders for the theft of the crest stones. Reveals herself as the Flame Emperor. Specifically says she doesn’t want to fight her classmates.

You know Edelgard. You know her morals and ideals. You know she’s not evil.

Are you really going to just kill her, no questions asked?
Listen to my story....this may be our last chance.
Hayas***akara posted...
except that it wasn't unquestionable? she literally tried to kill you, rhea and the rest of the class
Except she didn't? Saying she tried to means it was her goal and she failed. The only thing she was trying to do was get the crest stones and only ordered to eliminate anyone getting in her way. She explicitly said do not get involved and stay out of her way.
chughes724 posted...
Rhea orders you to kill her, no exception. No trial, no questioning, nothing. Just kill her. Even if I believed Edelgard was wrong, I wouldn’t just execute her without a second thought.

"Can I Uncanny Dodge the question?" -The rouge when asked about his Job
Games Playing: Fire Emblem Three Houses, Divinity Original Sin 2, Total War 3K

User Info: Mjolnirboi

Mjolnirboi
4 days ago#16
chughes724 posted...
Rhea orders you to kill her, no exception.
Edelgard's ultimatum of "I'll kill you if you oppose me" is directly parallel to Rhea's.

Anyway, on-topic; outside of the generic "I believe in the professor";
Leonie and Alois have to decide what Jeralt would have wanted. This could easily fall in Byleth's favor, and they have a good personal reason to join their side.
Hanneman and Manuela default to the Empire on Azure Moon, so count them in.
Lysithea and Marianne are pretty self-explanatory. Lorenz' family sides with the Empire on all routes, and he only actively separates from that on Verdant Wind.
Ashe has been through all the f***ery with Christophe and Lonato. Mercedes' backstory ties into the story perfectly, as well as her connection to Jeritza.

Are these perfectly valid, 100% satisfactory reasons?
Eh. Decide for yourself.
But these characters at least have a pretty good case. The others are all harder to sell, especially the Blue Lions.
Peony squad for life. Nohrian scum is scum.
Get Zeke'd. https://i.imgur.com/QMacACU.jpg
(edited 4 days ago)

User Info: EpicJourney

EpicJourney
4 days ago#17
chughes724 posted...
That is such a different case, I’m not even going to bother answering that. Look at the situation:

You’re Byleth. You’ve been leading the Black Eagles for a year, and you’ve gotten close to all of the students, Edelgard included. Meanwhile, some of the Church’s practices are clearly shady. All of a sudden, Edelgard orders for the theft of the crest stones. Reveals herself as the Flame Emperor. Specifically says she doesn’t want to fight her classmates.

Considering she has no problem giving Metodey and the others permission to kill her friends if they try to prevent them from defiling this place they've called home for the last year, I think I'm going to choose the safety of six of my students over the safety of one.
If you don't want none, don't start none.
Mjolnirboi posted...
Edelgard's ultimatum of "I'll kill you if you oppose me" is directly parallel to Rhea's.

Anyway, on-topic; outside of the generic "I believe in the professor";
Leonie and Alois have to decide what Jeralt would have wanted. This could easily fall in Byleth's favor, and they have a good personal reason to join their side.
Hanneman and Manuela default to the Empire on Azure Moon, so count them in.
Lysithea and Marianne are pretty self-explanatory. Lorenz' family sides with the Empire on all routes, and he only actively separates from that on Verdant Wind.
Ashe has been through all the f***ery with Christophe and Lonato. Mercedes' backstory ties into the story perfectly, as well as her connection to Jeritza.

Are these perfectly valid, 100% satisfactory reasons?
Eh. Decide for yourself.
But these characters at least have a pretty good case. The others are all harder to sell, especially the Blue Lions.
Felix is easily Arguable, He hates the monster Dimitri is becoming/ Becomes when you don't side with him. And He dislikes His Father's viewpoint.
"Can I Uncanny Dodge the question?" -The rouge when asked about his Job
Games Playing: Fire Emblem Three Houses, Divinity Original Sin 2, Total War 3K

User Info: Mjolnirboi

Mjolnirboi
4 days ago#19
AnimatedJester posted...
Felix is easily Arguable,
Felix is the worst fitting recruit on CF in the entire game.
He does not hate Dimitri. He does not hate his father.
Anyone who argues this does not understand Felix's character.
Peony squad for life. Nohrian scum is scum.
Get Zeke'd. https://i.imgur.com/QMacACU.jpg
(edited 4 days ago)

User Info: HayashiTakara

HayashiTakara
4 days ago#20
chughes724 posted...

How is it not the same thing? both are instances of witnessing attempted murder. you don't want to answer it, because it makes too much sense.

how much can you know a person in a year? especially when that year is more of a professional environment than a personal one.

Edelgard was faking it throughout the year too, she wasn't there to make friends and be a student, she was there to infiltrate and kill Rhea. Everything was a front, even Hubert said "it's time to stop pretending",

You don't know her morals, you know next to nothing about her. She outright betrayed you. This is literally a case of seeing someone you thought you knew, and then seeing them on the news arrested for murder or some other high crimes and you get interviewed and you go on to say: "I knew him/her for a little bit, thought he/she was a nice person"
NNID: HTakara82 - Add me if you're looking for a good time, lol
NS FC: SW-6233-5661-0820
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. Does anyone have a good reason for siding with Edelgard? (CF route spoilers)
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A