• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. Byleth... Why do you bore me so much?

User Info: xenosaga123

xenosaga123
5 days ago#31
if you think an avatar is boring, you are not realizing your mind is the avatar's mind. so an avatar is only boring personality-wise if you have a boring mind.

silent protagonists are silent so players express their own mind through the protagonist. the protagonist is a vessel and you are the soul of that vessel. so just fill the gap with your own imagination how you would express yourself. its better than an automated personality overall.

remember Corrin? yea, most prefer silent protagonist to create their own personal personality.
xenosaga123 posted...
if you think an avatar is boring, you are not realizing your mind is the avatar's mind. so an avatar is only boring personality-wise if you have a boring mind.

silent protagonists are silent so players express their own mind through the protagonist. the protagonist is a vessel and you are the soul of that vessel. so just fill the gap with your own imagination how you would express yourself. its better than an automated personality overall.

remember Corrin? yea, most prefer silent protagonist to create their own personal personality.

The problem with that line of thinking is that the game doesn't take your interpretation of the Avatar into account. Personally I would be quite angry if someone yelled at me for never loving my recently murdered dad. I can imagine Byleth would be really angry about that, but the game has no ability to register this and change the cutscene accordingly. The scene always plays out the same. No support or cutscene changes significantly by how I would imprint my personality on Byleth.

And that's the same with just about every other silent protagonist. It doesn't matter how you think the silent protagonist would act because all the npc are already programmed to respond to the avatar as if he responded really neutrally. With how npc word things there is always an implication how the silent protagonist actually reacted. Sometimes the game even refuses the notion of the player's personality imprinting itself on the Avatar. Byleth is always extremely stoic and everyone comments on it. Meanwhile in Zelda Toon Link is the most hyperactive spaz imaginable no matter the temperament of the player.
..Gwaar... Haaaarr... Haaaaaa... Shoulda brought... more priests... Or some... babies... Dang...
(edited 5 days ago)

User Info: BloodMoon7

BloodMoon7
5 days ago#33
Yeah whenever someone calls me kind, I would ask wtf they were smoking as I imagined their deaths. But yeah sure, I'm kind sensei, whatever helps you sleep at night.
Fire Emblem Three Mounteds
The Black Peaglesus, The Blue Stallions and the Golden Wyvern Rideers... Which mount will you choose? Fire Emblem Three Horses.

User Info: StellaLunaris

StellaLunaris
5 days ago#34
BloodMoon7 posted...
Yeah whenever someone calls me kind, I would ask wtf they were smoking as I imagined their deaths. But yeah sure, I'm kind sensei, whatever helps you sleep at night.

Usually when people call me kind, it's followed by "of an idiot, aren't you?"
https://society6.com/redpawdesigns
I draw stuff. Buy a pillow to support your butt AND my gaming backlog collection

BloodMoon7
5 days ago#35
StellaLunaris posted...
Usually when people call me kind, it's followed by "of an idiot, aren't you?"
You say so many genuis things that I hard that find to believe!
The Black Peaglesus, The Blue Stallions and the Golden Wyvern Rideers... Which mount will you choose? Fire Emblem Three Horses.

User Info: StellaLunaris

StellaLunaris
5 days ago#36
BloodMoon7 posted...
You say so many genuis things that I hard that find to believe!

Look, five minutes ago I had a pack of 100 paper bags, and surmised that if I used one every second day, I'd need more in 50 days.
https://society6.com/redpawdesigns
I draw stuff. Buy a pillow to support your butt AND my gaming backlog collection
Blank slate avatars only truly work in a typical rpg setting when they have enough dialogue options. Compare Persona 3-5 to 3 houses both use the sane type of avatar approach however Persona gives you both more opportunities to speak and react to things as well as more choices per opportunity. 3 houses most of the time gives you only 2 options on average while Persona gives you 3 and generally are better for expressing personality

Byleth doesn't really get that chance as most dialogue options are similar and when they are not they is a right and wrong one.

This is why every Persona MC is so successful while Byleth is lukewarm.
In the end the most important things are the basics.
(message deleted)
Yes yes, we all watched Mekkah's video TC, you aren't special for parroting a youtuber.
"Sony's not a Japanese company anymore just America's dog."
http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/9212646.html

BloodMoon7
5 days ago#40
StellaLunaris posted...
Look, five minutes ago I had a pack of 100 paper bags, and surmised that if I used one every second day, I'd need more in 50 days.
That sounds like something I'd do. I actually saw nothing wrong here until I realized they'd actually last you 200 days. I think.
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. Byleth... Why do you bore me so much?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A