• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. Byleth... Why do you bore me so much?

User Info: _Saint_Boot_

_Saint_Boot_
1 week ago#1
I'm not even sure how to describe it, but this character is so.damn.dry. Lack of emotions aside from one or two scenes, and maybe some head tilting whenever she is confused. The S rank scenes are good, but it's still just the other character doing all the talking and they might as well be talking to a wall hanging or corner plant.

I kinda wish we could alter the appearance other than just clothing, but that would just be putting a bandaid on a gunshot wound.

I know people did not like Corrin and the one before her whose name I can't remember at the moment (because I always change it) but even they were better than this statue of a "character".

In post skip it's worse because SPOILERS No Sothis

Imagine replacing this character with Tofu from Resident Evil, and I feel nothing would change.
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest: The only game where TREES put you in Full Nelsons! Mutton, Fresh Mutton!

User Info: Mjolnirboi

Mjolnirboi
1 week ago#2
Because they're another half-baked attempt at a not-really-self-insert, just like Kris, Robin and Corrin before them, except the parts that suck have just been shifted around again.
Peony squad for life. Nohrian scum is scum.
Get Zeke'd. https://i.imgur.com/QMacACU.jpg
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: AlexGamer

AlexGamer
1 week ago#3
_Saint_Boot_ posted...
I'm not even sure how to describe it, but this character is so.damn.dry. Lack of emotions aside from one or two scenes, and maybe some head tilting whenever she is confused. The S rank scenes are good, but it's still just the other character doing all the talking and they might as well be talking to a wall hanging or corner plant.

I kinda wish we could alter the appearance other than just clothing, but that would just be putting a bandaid on a gunshot wound.

I know people did not like Corrin and the one before her whose name I can't remember at the moment (because I always change it) but even they were better than this statue of a "character".

In post skip it's worse because SPOILERS No Sothis

Imagine replacing this character with Tofu from Resident Evil, and I feel nothing would change.
How dare you compare Tofu san to Byleth, that tofu displayed more emotions when it died than Byleth will in his entire life.
"Evil will always triumph because good is dumb"

User Info: StellaLunaris

StellaLunaris
1 week ago#4
There's a reason that I named them "Plank-chan" in every playthough after my first.
https://society6.com/redpawdesigns
I draw stuff. Buy a pillow to support your butt AND my gaming backlog collection

User Info: HayashiTakara

HayashiTakara
1 week ago#5
you're suppose to insert yourself into Byleth, Byleth completely depends on your ability to do so.
NNID: HTakara82 - Add me if you're looking for a good time, lol
NS FC: SW-6233-5661-0820

_Saint_Boot_
1 week ago#6
AlexGamer posted...

How dare you compare Tofu san to Byleth, that tofu displayed more emotions when it died than Byleth will in his entire life.

My apologies. I now deserved to be flogged.
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest: The only game where TREES put you in Full Nelsons! Mutton, Fresh Mutton!

_Saint_Boot_
1 week ago#7
Hayas***akara posted...
you're suppose to insert yourself into Byleth, Byleth completely depends on your ability to do so.

Nothing ruins my immersion (spelling?) more than a blank slate insert character that tries to be both blank and a character. Some games can do it right like Dragon Age Origins, and Metroid games, but most I have played do not.

User Info: HayashiTakara

HayashiTakara
1 week ago#8
_Saint_Boot_ posted...
Nothing ruins my immersion (spelling?) more than a blank slate insert character that tries to be both blank and a character. Some games can do it right like Dragon Age Origins, and Metroid games, but most I have played do not.

it's how Japan does avatar characters.... not sure why you bring up Samus, it's not an RPG, nor is it character and narrative driven.

DAO is a plank too, it wasn't till DA2 and later that they started having the avatars voiced when you choose a dialogue option, at that point, it's more like a customizable character than an avatar. But if you play CRPGs like Pathfinder and Dungeons and Dragons, it's all plank avatars. btw, you should totally play the Baldur's Gate series (also now on the switch) greatest RPG of all time.
NNID: HTakara82 - Add me if you're looking for a good time, lol
NS FC: SW-6233-5661-0820

User Info: Mjolnirboi

Mjolnirboi
1 week ago#9
Hayas***akara posted...
it's more like a customizable character than an avatar.
This is exactly what all the FE avatars are though, minus Mark.
Peony squad for life. Nohrian scum is scum.
Get Zeke'd. https://i.imgur.com/QMacACU.jpg

User Info: BloodMoon7

BloodMoon7
1 week ago#10
Corrin though? I'd rather be bland toast than soggy toast tbh.
Fire Emblem Three Mounteds
The Black Peaglesus, The Blue Stallions and the Golden Wyvern Rideers... Which mount will you choose? Fire Emblem Three Horses.
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. Byleth... Why do you bore me so much?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A