• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. C/D: Magic Weapons are very underrated

User Info: New_Gen_Zero_2

New_Gen_Zero_2
4 weeks ago#1
Are they - Results (52 votes)
Confirm
30.77% (16 votes)
Deny
69.23% (36 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Topic.

User Info: BardWannabe

BardWannabe
4 weeks ago#2
Deny. At least on this board, Levin Swords and Magic Bows are really popular. I agree that they are good weapons, and after you unlock the Dark Merchant then the resources to repair the weapons are almost limitless.

User Info: CharizardFire

CharizardFire
4 weeks ago#3
If anything, I'd say they're overrated.

You get people saying stuff like "Annette should be a Wyvern Lord with a Bolt Axe" all the time, and if you were to do this sort of thing, you run into two problems:

1) Resources. For most of the game, you can't repair magic weapons very easily, meaning that you have to pay careful attention to how much you use them. And if you wind up running out of uses on a magic weapon on a unit that needs that weapon to do damage due to low Strength? You just crippled the unit.

2) Utility. Guess what? Using magic weapons on a physical unit means one less unit that could potentially provide backup healing.

Now, I'm not saying they're bad. They're not. But I would never want to use them as my only source of magic damage.
http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/qq303/CharizardFire6/

User Info: Toadmode

Toadmode
4 weeks ago#4
I think most people are aware. The issue is that using them sustainably requires the last merchant to buy Arcane Crystals.

Additionally besides the levin sword they are locked behind B rank weapon levels, which is prohibitive for a lot of units trying go get to S+ or qualify for anything.

Aura Knuckles, for example, would be great on Lysithea as a Gremory. Except they are locked to A rank fist and you can’t use them in a magic class iirc. Which is insane.

User Info: DA125

DA125
4 weeks ago#5
Honestly, I think that magic weapons are somewhat overrated.

One of the problems I have with them is that the vast majority of units who are proficient in those weapon types have mediocre to just plain bad magic stats, meaning that those units are typically better off using a regular 1-2 range weapon

And secondly, they're not easy to maintain. For the vast majority of the game, arcane crystals are at a premium, meaning that those weapons are absurdly difficult to repair. This means that you have to be quite careful with their use, since if a unit who is reliant on such a weapon (due to a low str stat or whatever) were to have that weapon break, that unit is crippled. This is why I consider Wyvern Lord Annette and Assassin Dorothea/Lysithea, among other things, to be meme builds. Even once you do unlock the merchant that sells arcane crystals (which doesn't happen until Chapter 15, IIRC), those are not exactly cheap, running at 500 gold per crystal.

Now, am I saying that magic weapons suck? Of course not. However, I am not exactly privy on using them as my only source of magic damage. Putting a levin sword on Lysithea as a backup weapon is one thing. But to have her being reliant on it is another.

Have a nice day.
One guy? No continues? What were they thinking?
-AVGN

User Info: Decapre

Decapre
4 weeks ago#6
Magic Bow Hanneman?
DON'T INTERFERE!
https://i.imgur.com/0CWj5nT.jpg

User Info: Metal Gear Raxis

Metal Gear Raxis
4 weeks ago#7
They get about as much love as they deserve.

DA125 posted... Even once you do unlock the merchant that sells arcane crystals (which doesn't happen until Chapter 15, IIRC), those are not exactly cheap, running at 500 gold per crystal.

1) Buy bait every new month.
2) Fish only on Fistfulls of Fish (chapter 9 and 16 in particular)
3) Wait for 3 rounds of fish each bait for a gold fish
4) Sell plat gold and silver fish for lots of money.
Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an 'unsatisfactory' mark on your official testing record followed by death. Good luck!

User Info: Tmaster148

Tmaster148
4 weeks ago#8
DA125 posted...
This is why I consider Wyvern Lord Annette and Assassin Dorothea/Lysithea, among other things, to be meme builds.

To be fair. WL Annette and Assassin Dorothea/Lysithea do at least have magic combat arts for their weapon type which makes them viable without needing a magic weapon. So they have potential as WL has canto and Assassin has stealth allowing them to perform well as player phase nukes.

There's also Frozen Lance Paladin as a viable option for Lorenz.
http://i.imgur.com/BBcZDLJ.png

User Info: Ridelwofr

Ridelwofr
4 weeks ago#9
Bolt Axe is also terribly inaccurate.

User Info: FajitaEata

FajitaEata
4 weeks ago#10
CharizardFire posted...
If anything, I'd say they're overrated.

You get people saying stuff like "Annette should be a Wyvern Lord with a Bolt Axe" all the time, and if you were to do this sort of thing, you run into two problems:

1) Resources. For most of the game, you can't repair magic weapons very easily, meaning that you have to pay careful attention to how much you use them. And if you wind up running out of uses on a magic weapon on a unit that needs that weapon to do damage due to low Strength? You just crippled the unit.

2) Utility. Guess what? Using magic weapons on a physical unit means one less unit that could potentially provide backup healing.

Now, I'm not saying they're bad. They're not. But I would never want to use them as my only source of magic damage.
I've used Annette multiple times, and Wyvern Lord is easily her best class. You don't even need a bolt axe or crusher, lightning axe is good enough.
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. C/D: Magic Weapons are very underrated
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A