• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. Why do people care what number each FE game is in the series?

User Info: Whisky

Whisky
1 month ago#1
I’ve noticed that people like to refer to FE games by their number in the series. This sometimes confuses me and have to think of a number that I know and count from there just to figure out what game they are talking about. The games have actual titles, it’s not like the numbers are the titles as is the case in some series like Final Fantasy. So why refer to them by a number instead of their actual title? Nobody ever refers to a Mario or Zelda game by their number. (Except for the Mario games that are titled by a number).
This is my sig. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

User Info: AvantgardeAClue

AvantgardeAClue
1 month ago#2
It's easier to abbreviate and it's way easier to say "FE12" than "Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem: Heroes of Light and Shadow".
Sometimes I say things and I'm not voice acting.

Whisky
1 month ago#3
You could just call it New Mystery. Pretty sure there aren’t any other games to confuse that with. Or even NM for short like POR instead of Path of Radiance. Or BotW instead of Breath of the Wild. I have no idea what number BotW is. Why do I need to know what number POR and New Mystery are?
(message deleted)

Whisky
1 month ago#5
Ad_Victoriam posted...
Because Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War is the fourth game in the series and it's quicker to type out FE4 than Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War. It's not our fault if you don't know the numbers.

People don’t do this for most other series. Anything can be shortened. I have seen that game referred to as just Genealogy.

User Info: Srheeropercent

Srheeropercent
1 month ago#6
People do this for pokemon and it's fine.

Gen 1, r b y / red blue yellow
Gen 2, g s c / Gold Silver Crystal

etc etc
---------------------------------------------------------
Switch Friend Code - SW-7173-9981-4996

User Info: GenericAccount

GenericAccount
1 month ago#7
It was supposedly useful back when the only localized game was Blazing Sword and fan translations didn't have consistent titles. At this point, calling the games by number is just a habit in the community. At least the numbering system is pretty unambiguous now.

User Info: AvantgardeAClue

AvantgardeAClue
1 month ago#8
Plus for Genealogy/Thracia and Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn it's easier to just number the specific game you're talking about especially when there's multiple characters shared between both games
Sometimes I say things and I'm not voice acting.

User Info: Recon868

Recon868
1 month ago#9
I'm fine with the numbers however no doubt the number method will be jarring and confusing to new FE players, given how many games there are and the fact some never came west

Whisky
1 month ago#10
Srheeropercent posted...
People do this for pokemon and it's fine.

Gen 1, r b y / red blue yellow
Gen 2, g s c / Gold Silver Crystal

etc etc

It’s not quite the same thing for Pokémon. Gen 3 includes Ruby & Sapphire, Fire Red & Leaf Green, and Colosseum. If you say Gen 3, you will need to specify more of what game you are actually talking about, unless you are talking about that generation as a whole.

1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. Why do people care what number each FE game is in the series?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A