• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. Would Wyvern Riders be balanced if they didn't have Axefaire?

User Info: Whisky

Whisky
1 week ago#21
Mjolnirboi posted...
You used the difference between Cavalier and Paladin to promote the example. The difference in the Wyvern Rider's case is that it's equivalent to Paladin, not to Cavalier.

The difference is that Cavaliers upgrade to Paladins and Wyvern Riders upgrade to Wyvern Lords. Wyvern Riders and Lords are higher tier than Cavalier and Paladin but it’s still The same idea. Wyvern Rider is the basic version and Lord is the promoted version.
ALttP is a great game.

Whisky
1 week ago#22
Pitbuller_26 posted...
I remember in Fates where you fight Hinoka, it actually had high winds hinder flying movement.

Perhaps some maps in future games can have high winds which nerfs flyer movement to help dissuade flier balls.

I haven’t played Fates but it sounds like something like that could work.
ALttP is a great game.

User Info: superxgaga

superxgaga
1 week ago#23
Whisky posted...
I’m just talking hypothetically. Not what I actually want to happen in a patch. I just like discussing game balance in general. How could this game have been balanced better? What should they do differently next time? Stuff like that.
Make everything great, or make a more broken OP balls to the wall classes: flying magic class.
El, my dear, in order to prove that you are right, you must become stronger than anyone else.
More speed-wings and energy drops, m'Lady?

Whisky
1 week ago#24
superxgaga posted...
Make everything great, or make a more broken OP balls to the wall classes: flying magic class.

I agree with the first part. I want to have a hard time deciding between classes, abilities etc, because they are all good. Rather than having some classes, abilities etc., that are clearly better than others.
ALttP is a great game.

superxgaga
1 week ago#25
Whisky posted...
I agree with the first part. I want to have a hard time deciding between classes, abilities etc, because they are all good. Rather than having some classes, abilities etc., that are clearly better than others.
Devs are less motivated in a single player game to make things more balanced, if there were competitive mode, pvp, leaderboards, rankings, elo etc. Then they are "forced" to make things more balanced to avoid backlash or even abandonment from players.
El, my dear, in order to prove that you are right, you must become stronger than anyone else.

User Info: Mjolnirboi

Mjolnirboi
1 week ago#26
Whisky posted...
The difference is that Cavaliers upgrade to Paladins and Wyvern Riders upgrade to Wyvern Lords. Wyvern Riders and Lords are higher tier than Cavalier and Paladin but it’s still The same idea. Wyvern Rider is the basic version and Lord is the promoted version.
Brigand is the basic version and Wyvern Rider is the promoted version.
Marianne is best girl. Nohrian scum is scum.
Get Zeke'd. https://i.imgur.com/QMacACU.jpg

User Info: Flash2Beasley

Flash2Beasley
1 week ago#27
superxgaga posted...
Whisky posted...
Devs are less motivated in a single player game to make things more balanced, if there were competitive mode, pvp, leaderboards, rankings, elo etc. Then they are "forced" to make things more balanced to avoid backlash or even abandonment from players.

Single player balance matters, its not as important as multiplayer but it does make a difference in how people will play your game. If a broken easy strat is simple to do and everyone does it, they will claim your game is easy/boring and lost interest fast.

That being said, it depends on the context. In a game like this, where you can usually just choose to avoid the overpowered things, I don't mind it as much. Still I think it's undeniable there isn't any real balance with respect to mounted classes, I think the only feasible thing they could have done is limit the amount you can deploy per map but people would have complained.

superxgaga
1 week ago#28
Flash2Beasley posted...
Single player balance matters, its not as important as multiplayer but it does make a difference in how people will play your game. If a broken easy strat is simple to do and everyone does it, they will claim your game is easy/boring and lost interest fast.

That being said, it depends on the context. In a game like this, where you can usually just choose to avoid the overpowered things, I don't mind it as much. Still I think it's undeniable there isn't any real balance with respect to mounted classes, I think the only feasible thing they could have done is limit the amount you can deploy per map but people would have complained.
Are wyverns so broken, the game no longer requires any strat, u can just throw them at enemies and win unscathed?

User Info: Flash2Beasley

Flash2Beasley
1 week ago#29
superxgaga posted...
Flash2Beasley posted...

Are wyverns so broken, the game no longer requires any strat, u can just throw them at enemies and win unscathed?

I'll put it this way, when I play a map with a lot of flying classes I clear it in about three times as fast as when I limit myself. Does that mean unmounted classes can't do it or mounted are instawins? Nah. But do they trivialize a lot of difficult situations and expand player options by a fairly large magnitude? Absolutely.

Theoretically if you play perfectly it doesn't matter, but mounted classes allow you to be very mediocre with your movement decisions since it's so easy to fix a bad play. Also they make a dramatic difference on certain maps with alternate objectives, especially saving friendly units.

Whisky
1 week ago#30
Flash2Beasley posted...
I'll put it this way, when I play a map with a lot of flying classes I clear it in about three times as fast as when I limit myself. Does that mean unmounted classes can't do it or mounted are instawins? Nah. But do they trivialize a lot of difficult situations and expand player options by a fairly large magnitude? Absolutely.

Theoretically if you play perfectly it doesn't matter, but mounted classes allow you to be very mediocre with your movement decisions since it's so easy to fix a bad play. Also they make a dramatic difference on certain maps with alternate objectives, especially saving friendly units.

Good explanation. I agree that balance is more important for multiplayer games, but is important for single players too. Wyvern Riders don’t completely break the game. They just partially break the game. They are noticeably superior to other classes. Using different classes isn’t just a different play style. It’s an active handicap.
ALttP is a great game.
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. Would Wyvern Riders be balanced if they didn't have Axefaire?
  • Post New Message