• Topic Closed
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. Can We Stop Acting Like this Game Presents a Morally Gray Story Yet?(spoilers)

User Info: Ad_Victoriam

Ad_Victoriam
1 week ago#31
And the coup de grâce is that an obviously evil group is behind every conflict in the game. Dimitri's insanity, Rhea manipulating the world and history, and Edelgard wanting to topple the Church and remove crests' importance from society were all caused by TWSitD in some capacity.

The lesson here is that Intelligent Systems doesn't have any good writers. At least Edelgard isn't a goo monster maniacally laughing about how she wants to destroy the continent, and she doesn't have her oldest child vehemently deny that she's an obviously evil goo monster.

Ninjaed posted...
That's the misconception right there. There is controversy but only regarding one character:

Rhea.

Every Edelgard topic will tackle how the world needed to be changed, especially stressing out the Church's role in the current mess. Or rather, Rhea's role. In short, they're not discussing Edelgard per se, but what she does in opposition to what Rhea did and does.
Then, depending on people's sensibilities, some will judge Rhea to be evil and thus Edelgard to be justified, therefore right. That's where Edelgard's "greyness" comes from.

If you disregard the Church, Edelgard allied with evil group to conquer Fodlan so she'd create a society she believes in - exactly like Walhart or Ashnard or... you get the picture. That's your usual Fire Emblem tragic villain (Ashnard isn't really tragic but hey). That's not grey by any means. It's only when the Church enters the equation that things change.

What are you even talking about? Every Edelgard topic is about how she's literally Hitler.
"Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?"
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: TheBLD

TheBLD
1 week ago#32
They really gave Rhea the Daenerys treatment lmao.

"She goes crazy because of her DRAGON BLOOD!" But remember that time earlier where she killed 2-3 people who declared open war against her? That was clearly foreshadowing that she was always BAD!

And if you dare point out that such treatment is entirely common in the setting and in no way unique to that one character - sorry, you're nitpicking and biased, I win, buhbye.
01067-72704
92980-02562

User Info: Scirel

Scirel
1 week ago#33
Jena11 posted...
Ninjaed posted...
That's the misconception right there. There is controversy but only regarding one character:

Rhea.

Every Edelgard topic will tackle how the world needed to be changed, especially stressing out the Church's role in the current mess. Or rather, Rhea's role. In short, they're not discussing Edelgard per se, but what she does in opposition to what Rhea did and does.
Then, depending on people's sensibilities, some will judge Rhea to be evil and thus Edelgard to be justified, therefore right. That's where Edelgard's "greyness" comes from.

That's the main thing. Really, if Claude's route dismantled the church like CF did, there wouldn't be NEARLY as much controversy as everyone would just unambigulously say his route was the best one for Fodlan. The incalculable amount of fraud committed by Rhea and the church all for the protection of three people, herself included, as well as wasting the time of millions of people for a thousand years with completely meaningless prayer and tricking them into thinking it actually does something, and taking people's donations, them thinking it is going to the support of the goddess which is BS, mostly ignoring and implicitly supporting the crest based nobility system which we can see from supports f***s up so many lives, IMO is just too much to ignore. She's a criminal on an incalculable scale beyond anything in reality(due to her immortality) who runs an organization that has "murder is okay if we say so" as a rule and has her own private army comparable to that of an entire nation(as said by hubert in CF) to enforce this. She also hides giant robot technology from people as well as the tech used in the holy tomb because of her bias against humans, even though she would have never been able to establish the church without the aid of Wilhelm.

As for Edelgard working with Twistd?

The Founding fathers gritted their teeth to work with states that insisted on keeping slavery because they needed their soldiers for the revolutionary war (The original declaration was forced to have a section about freeing slaves edited out for some states to join in).
America was allies with Russia during world war 2 to defeat hitler even though they did horrible things as well.

As we see from the epilogue, Edelgard made sure she got rid of them and served them justice for their crimes. In war, to defeat major enemies, sometimes you can't be picky with allies.

In the end, which world would you like your child to grow up in? One where they are judged for their blood and have little chance of recieveing an education as well as taught a religion that even its founder knows is garbage? Or one where all people are given an education, no one is judged by the contents of their blood, technology now can finally take root once more, and their position is determined by their skill?
Trainer Name: Andrea
3DS FC: 3265 5091 7202
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: simpleking

simpleking
1 week ago#34
You make a solid point, and I agree.
If Edelgard were better written, I'd call her a central shade of gray, but ultimately she did far more bad things than good, and she's literally working alongside the objective "bad guys" of the game. She's not pure black, but she's definitely a very dark gray.
I shouldn't be here, but yet here I am.

User Info: TalesOfXAndY

TalesOfXAndY
1 week ago#35
Finally there's someone else who thinks only Rhea is the "morally grey" one.
Hyped for: Persona 5: The Royal/Tales Of Arise
TalesOfXAndY posted...
She is, and it's a shame she gets sidelined through most of the game.
Yeah man I conquered this sucka! -Mac
Attitude check...Yeah, I'm really high! -Zoe

User Info: Ninjaed

Ninjaed
1 week ago#37
Scirel posted...
snip

Your rant is precisely what I was talking about. Edelgard is "right" or "justified" because the Church is bad in your eyes. You're not saying Edelgard is right or justified by herself, only because she's against the Church and Rhea (and unlike TWSITD isn't trying to destroy humanity).

Regal_Bryant12 posted...
TalesOfXAndY posted...

Seconded, and I'll just mention Sothis getting shafted also does the narration a disservice.
#BringGoldenSunBack - We love the series for a reason, give it a try :)
Trials of Mana 3D remake on switch confirmed! Go Riesz for Smash!!
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: simpleking

simpleking
1 week ago#38
Regal_Bryant12 posted...

It's a genuine shame. Rhea is easily one of the most interesting characters in the game that I feel we barely know anything about. Still salty we can have her as a unit in SS.

I shouldn't be here, but yet here I am.

User Info: Joniden

Joniden
1 week ago#39
Yea. But there are some shades of gray in the game.
How in the world does my backlog keep getting bigger?
Oh look, new game!

User Info: superxgaga

superxgaga
1 week ago#40
But Edelgard is the only one wit gray hair lmao
El, my dear, in order to prove that you are right, you must become stronger than anyone else.
More speed-wings and energy drops, m'Lady?
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. Can We Stop Acting Like this Game Presents a Morally Gray Story Yet?(spoilers)
  • Topic Closed