• Topic Closed
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. Can We Stop Acting Like this Game Presents a Morally Gray Story Yet?(spoilers)

User Info: superxgaga

superxgaga
4 days ago#201
Ninjaed posted...
... Okay, it seems there is no point in any further discussion. Let's just declare that Nergal, Ashnard, Zephiel, Arvis and so many others were perfectly justified in their actions and be done with it, shall we? Since that appears to be the consensus those who defend Edelgard want to reach.
Right, let people think/feel/do whatever and however they want, u couldnt change their opinions 3 months ago, why did u think u could now?
El, my dear, in order to prove that you are right, you must become stronger than anyone else.
More speed-wings and energy drops, m'Lady?

User Info: FaroresWinds

FaroresWinds
4 days ago#202
superxgaga posted...
Ninjaed posted...
... Okay, it seems there is no point in any further discussion. Let's just declare that Nergal, Ashnard, Zephiel, Arvis and so many others were perfectly justified in their actions and be done with it, shall we? Since that appears to be the consensus those who defend Edelgard want to reach.
Right, let people think/feel/do whatever and however they want, u couldnt change their opinions 3 months ago, why did u think u could now?

User Info: Chefcook90

Chefcook90
4 days ago#203
Ninjaed posted...

Except that Nergal was totally nuts and Ashnard was damn close to it?

Zephiel and Arvis I get - they actually had motivations behind their actions beyond wanting to conquer / destroy everything for the evuls.
However, that doesn't really make their actions "perfectly justified" - after all, as antagonists the player needs to have justification for fighting against them. If their actions were PERFECTLY justified, no such counter-justification could exist.
FE Fates Castle: 16268-39691-00496-50003
"Now I am become /rant, the destroyer of threads." - a user laments his giant walls of text

User Info: Ninjaed

Ninjaed
4 days ago#204
Chefcook90 posted...

Except that Nergal was totally nuts and Ashnard was damn close to it?

Zephiel and Arvis I get - they actually had motivations behind their actions beyond wanting to conquer / destroy everything for the evuls.
However, that doesn't really make their actions "perfectly justified" - after all, as antagonists the player needs to have justification for fighting against them. If their actions were PERFECTLY justified, no such counter-justification could exist.

Which proves Edelgard isn't "perfectly justified", thank you.
#BringGoldenSunBack - We love the series for a reason, give it a try :)
Trials of Mana 3D remake on switch confirmed! Go Riesz for Smash!!

User Info: SC6

SC6
4 days ago#205
no one said Edelgard is "perfectly justified"
they just disagree that she's "completely unjustified"
kind of like what you're insinuating with this topic

anything in between the above s gray...
PSN - NovaSol6(PS3/VITA), GreenTea_Sama(PS4)
3DS FC: 0533-5134-4439

User Info: votris11

votris11
4 days ago#206
SC6 posted...

This is why I find Edelgard haters so annoying. They don't ask why she's doing bad things. They just see Edelgard is doing a bad thing, therefore she's evil.

User Info: Ninjaed

Ninjaed
4 days ago#207
votris11 posted...
SC6 posted...

This is why I find Edelgard haters so annoying. They don't ask why she's doing bad things. They just see Edelgard is doing a bad thing, therefore she's evil.

Not evil, but a villain. Many villains have good intentions, like the ones I cited - except Nergal. And like you said, they do have some justification, just like how even good guys aren't perfectly justified. No one is.

But pretending she's not a villain because suddenly you discover even villains have reasons for acting the way they do? Sorry but that doesn't work like that. She's a tragic villain, like it or not. Doesn't make her pure evil, but it does make her a villain. After all, not even the Joker is pure evil.
#BringGoldenSunBack - We love the series for a reason, give it a try :)
Trials of Mana 3D remake on switch confirmed! Go Riesz for Smash!!

User Info: votris11

votris11
4 days ago#208
Ninjaed posted...
Not evil, but a villain. Many villains have good intentions, like the ones I cited - except Nergal. And like you said, they do have some justification, just like how even good guys aren't perfectly justified. No one is.

But pretending she's not a villain because suddenly you discover even villains have reasons for acting the way they do? Sorry but that doesn't work like that. She's a tragic villain, like it or not. Doesn't make her pure evil, but it does make her a villain. After all, not even the Joker is pure evil.

So we are both on the same page on what we think Edelgard is. Good. Then I'll stop the argument here. I just add this, being a villain doesn't mean you have to be black. Just having good intentions make you gray even if you're still on a blacker side of the spectrum, and I personally think she's whiter than the previous villains of the series.

Also good decision and no hard feelings mate.
(edited 4 days ago)

User Info: Simcambi

Simcambi
4 days ago#209
tldr; just because an antagonist has motivations doesn't make them "grey"
Seeing someone actually learn from an argument on the internet fills you with DETERMINATION
0189-8231-0190

User Info: Chefcook90

Chefcook90
4 days ago#210
Simcambi posted...
tldr; just because an antagonist has motivations doesn't make them "grey"

Edelgard doesn't have motivations - she has IDEALS.

She's fighting a war to end all wars!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l0RMGid6vo

"Making the mother of all omelettes here, Dimitri! Can't do it without breaking a few eggs! I'm using crests as a business, to END crests as a business!"
FE Fates Castle: 16268-39691-00496-50003
"Now I am become /rant, the destroyer of threads." - a user laments his giant walls of text
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. Can We Stop Acting Like this Game Presents a Morally Gray Story Yet?(spoilers)
  • Topic Closed