• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. Maddening NG+ has a better difficulty curve than Maddening fresh, C/D?

User Info: Flash2Beasley

Flash2Beasley
3 weeks ago#1
Maddening NG+ has a better difficulty curve than Maddening fresh, C/D? - Results (138 votes)
Confirm
62.32% (86 votes)
Deny
37.68% (52 votes)
This poll is now closed.
So just some general thoughts on the Maddening Difficulty, as I've gotten mixed reviews from several posts here.

I originally started a Maddening NG+ file, and kept the things I utilized to the minimum (basically just statues, the Enlightened One mastery for the MC and Professor Level). I didn't allow myself to use overpowered batallions like the lord ones though I did use ones I couldn't normally have yet. Basically, I didn't realize it but I made the early game much easier even though I could have done more than that.

I restarted fresh Maddening, and wow it was a lot tougher. At first I was really enjoying this level of difficulty. But after the first couple of chapters it was wearing thin. By the time I got to around chapter 7 I realized the difficulty more or less began to even out anyways, that is, the NG+ advantages start to fade.

Anyways point being, I now find the difficulty curve to be a lot more satisfying with NG+. On a fresh NG, it starts terribly difficult, then gets kind of average for a while, ramps up randomly for a chapter here or there, then gets hard again near the very end. With NG+, the early game is about the same as the midgame, and it doesn't really get hard until the end, which is how it should be imo.

Long story short, I think doing a single file on Maddening might be worth it for personal bragging rights, but I think Maddening NG+ is the superior experience both in terms of difficulty curve and helping to speed up the early game which gets very repetitive.

User Info: superxgaga

superxgaga
3 weeks ago#2
Maddening ng+ is pretty much faceroll mode, just like hard cept you level slower.
El, give me your blessing! Kingdom, Alliance, Church? I'll kill em all! When I do, you are no longer Kotei-sama, You will be known as Edelgard Megami-Sama!!

User Info: Dekadense

Dekadense
3 weeks ago#3
Obligatory NG+ elitist hatepost.

But seriously, NG+ makes everything a joke. Pretty dumb unless they are planning an Apotheosis style DLC map.

User Info: darkknight39

darkknight39
3 weeks ago#4
the lords battalions and some other good low rank ones would break the early game by themselves.
"you cannot let yourself be held back by common sense " -Sanae Kochiya

User Info: TheBLD

TheBLD
3 weeks ago#5
Confirm easily. Yes you faceroll NG+ Maddeningz but it actually gets slightly harder over time that way. That's how a difficulty curve works, children.

Regular NG Maddening is hard for 2 or 3 maps before falling off a difficulty cliff.
01067-72704
92980-02562

Flash2Beasley
3 weeks ago#6
superxgaga posted...
Maddening ng+ is pretty much faceroll mode, just like hard cept you level slower.

I've played both now and I don't see this at all. You have the option to make it easier (except statues, those are forced), but the game is much different, enemies carry abilities much more often, the AI is more aggressive, it actually uses combat arts now, maps are more enemy dense, etc.

I can choose not to make it faceroll if I do NG+. I can't choose to add all those nice features if I play hard mode.

darkknight39 posted...
the lords battalions and some other good low rank ones would break the early game by themselves.

Agreed, and I guess I didn't clarify in my post but I didn't use those. I don't allow myself to use the lords battalions at all actually since it doesn't seem fitting story wise.

I guess I can reword, the difficulty curve can be satisfying in Maddening NG+ if you limit yourself a bit. It is never satisfying in a fresh Maddening, and Hard can never offer the challenge of Maddening.

User Info: CyclonSilver

CyclonSilver
3 weeks ago#7
I mean, arguably that's technically true but, if you don't play maddening for the difficulty, why do you play it? NG+ trivializes a lot of stuff and gives you tools you just wouldn't have had on a normal save, even in the lategame.
Satisfaction = Quality - Expectations + Tolerance
If Satisfaction > 0, Enjoyment = (Satisfaction + Expectations) / Hours spent on Gamefaqs

User Info: VioletGekko

VioletGekko
3 weeks ago#8
CyclonSilver posted...
I mean, arguably that's technically true but, if you don't play maddening for the difficulty, why do you play it? NG+ trivializes a lot of stuff and gives you tools you just wouldn't have had on a normal save, even in the lategame.

Actually trivialise not much. The exp bonus is quite pathetic, which having it or not is barely noticeable. The access to battalion is better but early on unless you repeat same route only byleth can use rank A battalion with unlock. Heck even with rank A+ level you don't really do anything much but eating meal to see support since you only have like 15 top units that you can keep at good level compare to enemies.

I didn't buy any skill level except A authority and sword for byleth, ofc which at 2/3 of the game I managed to get it to S+ no grinding.

Flash2Beasley
3 weeks ago#9
CyclonSilver posted...

The amount NG+ trivializes the lategame is entirely dependent on how much you abuse it. If you only use it to make the early game easier, the lategame can still maintain the majority of its difficulty. At most you might be a few levels higher than you otherwise normally would, which can be anywhere from a minor to a huge advantage depending on how optimized your play is already. Adding crests you couldn't normally obtain or master skills like quick riposte, that's a gamechanger, but again, optional.

On the other hand, you can't get things like more aggressive AI, more enemy units, or enemies carrying better abilities, on hard mode.

And like I said, I still think a single maddening fresh run is worth it for the experience. But after having done it myself, I can now say the difficulty curve kind of sucks for replays, it looks like a big U. A satisfying difficulty curve should look like a staircase or something similar.

Flash2Beasley
3 weeks ago#10
Also, not that I condone this style of play, but you can still master a ton of skills and classes on Maddening with the same stand in a forest with rusted weapon trick, so you're always going to have to limit yourself to a certain degree to find challenge.
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. Maddening NG+ has a better difficulty curve than Maddening fresh, C/D?
  • Topic Archived