• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. Have you successfully completed a non NG+ Maddening run?

User Info: FelurFalas

FelurFalas
4 weeks ago#21
A-Omega16 posted...
I couldve put it but didnt think on it lol

I mean the poll is talking about people who did a fresh run
I prefer just NG+ing all the time, even without statues, so I can build up renown and P2W when I feel like it. I like that the benefits are unlockables, so you can still get the NG experience without resetting the NG+ options. For the options that are not, like Battalions, you can just not use them.
Yorokobi No Ito Wa Canon Tsumugidasu
The Thread of Happiness is Weaved by a Canon
(message deleted)

User Info: Tombstone1988

Tombstone1988
4 weeks ago#23
Just finished my Crimson Flower run this morning.

-Petra was without question my MVP. She was the only character that avoided the double in the early game, she was the only character that could double in the mid-game, and she was still really good in the late-game. The game would've been a much bigger slog without her.

-Byleth was my 2nd-best unit; I got really unfortunate with her Speed and Defense growths early on, so she struggled a bit more than she perhaps should have. By mid-game she reached the point where she was being a consistent performer alongside Petra.

-Edelgard's early-game is much worse on Maddening than on lower difficulties. She's just too slow and slightly too frail to stand up to the enemies. She improves quite a bit by mid-game; once I got her on a Wyvern, her combat prowess jumped up significantly.

-I'm pretty sure I got really unlucky with my Ferdinand; he got several 2-stat levels and he wasn't getting Speed at all (I even took him Brigand instead of Cavalier). I had to drop him eventually because he just wasn't performing well enough.

-Dorothea was a surprise success; her 11 base Magic and good spell list, coupled with Songstress and Physic, made her an excellent early-to-mid game unit. Her lower Magic growth does eventually catch up with her though; by Chapter 14, I don't think she could kill a single enemy by herself.

-Hubert was all over the place. Early on, his damage and early 3 range was quite useful, but his accuracy in the first few chapters is awful. Once I got him some levels and an Accuracy Ring, his hit problems were resolved; however, when I hit Warlock, Dorothea was actually out-performing him. It wasn't until Level 30 with Dark Knight that he made a triumphant comeback. His high Magic growth, coupled with Dark Tomefaire and high Movement, really put in some work at the end.

-Linhardt was better than I thought early on. His damage and accuracy are actually decent during the first few chapters. He's also a Warp user, and Warp still has quite a bit of use on Maddening. That said, I did mostly replace him with Mercedes, since she does a lot of what he does but with better healing. I did sub him in for a couple of battles where I wanted Warp.

-Bernadetta is both better and worse than I initially thought. She's better due to the high value of Bows and Vengeance being a really good Combat Art. However, setting her up proved to be troublesome a lot of the time.

-I had zero luck with Caspar. He was the first character I dropped.

-Shamir is so good on Maddening, especially for Black Eagles. I mastered Sniper on her early for Hunter's Volley, and I am glad I did. She came in clutch more times than I can count. Definitely recommended for anyone who hasn't tried her on Maddening.

-I grabbed Ingrid and Felix as cross-recruits to replace Ferdinand and Caspar. Both of them performed exceptionally well, as one might expect. Cross-recruits on Maddening are pretty much always going to be useful.

The hardest story chapters were probably Chapter 2 (just required going so slowly) and Chapter 14 (you really have to think about how to tackle the mission). The hardest chapters overall I found to be Felix's Paralogue (this one was a nightmare) and Edelgard's Paralogue (honestly probably not even worth doing).

User Info: A-Omega16

A-Omega16
4 weeks ago#24
Tombstone1988 posted...
Just finished my Crimson Flower run this morning.

-Petra was without question my MVP. She was the only character that avoided the double in the early game, she was the only character that could double in the mid-game, and she was still really good in the late-game. The game would've been a much bigger slog without her.

-Byleth was my 2nd-best unit; I got really unfortunate with her Speed and Defense growths early on, so she struggled a bit more than she perhaps should have. By mid-game she reached the point where she was being a consistent performer alongside Petra.

-Edelgard's early-game is much worse on Maddening than on lower difficulties. She's just too slow and slightly too frail to stand up to the enemies. She improves quite a bit by mid-game; once I got her on a Wyvern, her combat prowess jumped up significantly.

-I'm pretty sure I got really unlucky with my Ferdinand; he got several 2-stat levels and he wasn't getting Speed at all (I even took him Brigand instead of Cavalier). I had to drop him eventually because he just wasn't performing well enough.

-Dorothea was a surprise success; her 11 base Magic and good spell list, coupled with Songstress and Physic, made her an excellent early-to-mid game unit. Her lower Magic growth does eventually catch up with her though; by Chapter 14, I don't think she could kill a single enemy by herself.

-Hubert was all over the place. Early on, his damage and early 3 range was quite useful, but his accuracy in the first few chapters is awful. Once I got him some levels and an Accuracy Ring, his hit problems were resolved; however, when I hit Warlock, Dorothea was actually out-performing him. It wasn't until Level 30 with Dark Knight that he made a triumphant comeback. His high Magic growth, coupled with Dark Tomefaire and high Movement, really put in some work at the end.

-Linhardt was better than I thought early on. His damage and accuracy are actually decent during the first few chapters. He's also a Warp user, and Warp still has quite a bit of use on Maddening. That said, I did mostly replace him with Mercedes, since she does a lot of what he does but with better healing. I did sub him in for a couple of battles where I wanted Warp.

-Bernadetta is both better and worse than I initially thought. She's better due to the high value of Bows and Vengeance being a really good Combat Art. However, setting her up proved to be troublesome a lot of the time.

-I had zero luck with Caspar. He was the first character I dropped.

-Shamir is so good on Maddening, especially for Black Eagles. I mastered Sniper on her early for Hunter's Volley, and I am glad I did. She came in clutch more times than I can count. Definitely recommended for anyone who hasn't tried her on Maddening.

-I grabbed Ingrid and Felix as cross-recruits to replace Ferdinand and Caspar. Both of them performed exceptionally well, as one might expect. Cross-recruits on Maddening are pretty much always going to be useful.

The hardest story chapters were probably Chapter 2 (just required going so slowly) and Chapter 14 (you really have to think about how to tackle the mission). The hardest chapters overall I found to be Felix's Paralogue (this one was a nightmare) and Edelgard's Paralogue (honestly probably not even worth doing).

Would like to comment on Shamir ^. She is an absolutely fantastic unit for Maddening mode. She has a high hit rate, great damage output and all her stats are good. Speed could be a bit better but its all good. Snipers come in so clutch on this mode.

I just finished the Alois/Shamir paralouge and that was also difficult for what its worth. Impregnable Wall (and Stride) really clutched that one up for me tbh. I rarely used gambits in hard mode but now they are essential for making things work in my favor

Also been seeing more Divine Pulse use as well lol
"Hinokami Kagura! Dance!"

User Info: Ryacchi

Ryacchi
4 weeks ago#25
Tombstone1988 posted...
The hardest chapters overall I found to be Felix's Paralogue (this one was a nightmare) and Edelgard's Paralogue (honestly probably not even worth doing).

The only time I warpskipped was Edelgard's paralogue. I think I could have handled it normally, but it was going to take a full mission restart and I wasn't feeling it.

User Info: Walshin

Walshin
4 weeks ago#26
I just finished my BL run.

I actually went Male Byleth, because I wanted him as a War Master ( and no need to recruit Sylvain ). He was one half of my dedicated delete squad. Was able to OHKO virtually anything. Killer Gauntlets, it's finger breaking good.
Lysithea, no surprises here, was the other half of the delete squad. You all know her.

Felix and Dimitri were my Snipers/Bow knight ( I reclass them depending on what I need on the map ). Very good either for safe poking or just killing. No explanation required.

Sylvain, Ingrid, Hilda and Ashe as the flyers squad
Sylvain got ridiculously spd blessed and had, like, 1 or 2 less spd than Ingrid at similar levels for the whole game, until she went Falco. Suffice to say those two were gods. They probably contributed more to the run than all of my other units combined.
Ashe got str screwed as usual and was relegated to poking/shoving duties. Still useful cuz a Wyvern Lord with Deadeye has a stupid, stupid range and I love it.

Stride bot healer Mercedes, Dark Knight/Rallywoman Annette and Dancer Flayn were my healer/utility crew. I also used Great Knight Dedue as both physical wall and secondary Stride bot.
The way Mercedes and Flayn overleveled the rest of the crew is kinda funny. Healing/dancing XP is powerful, yo.

My filler units were Assassin Catherine and War Master Caspar. Yes I trained him only for the Paralogue. He sucked, but was a War Master so still effective as long as he has a pair of Killer Gauntlets. Punching DK to death was a nice change from all the Dark Spikes.
Catherine was good tho. Rapier+ and Wo Dao + are stupid weapons and I love them.

User Info: SteelWingKnight

SteelWingKnight
4 weeks ago#27
Im tempted to do Maddening for my first playthrough of the game...
#1 Flora Fan (Fire Emblem Fates) / #1 Tamamo-no-Mae Fan (Fate Grand Order)
My art & sprite edits: https://steelwingknight.tumblr.com/

User Info: A-Omega16

A-Omega16
4 weeks ago#28
SteelWingKnight posted...
Im tempted to do Maddening for my first playthrough of the game...

Do it. Should be more of a challenge, especially considering you haven't played through the game yet and don't know whats to come
"Hinokami Kagura! Dance!"

User Info: mariogamer

mariogamer
4 weeks ago#29
Finished maddening gd not so long ago. Breaking this game in half is still as easy as it was on normal, especially late game.
Lysithea best mage.

User Info: stolz17

stolz17
4 weeks ago#30
Nope still working on it. I made some pretty poor decisions that I wish I hadn’t but I’m on chapter 17 so there’s no going back now.
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. Have you successfully completed a non NG+ Maddening run?
  • Topic Archived