• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. VW kind of wasted Claude? (Spoiler?)

User Info: PlasticFrog

PlasticFrog
5 days ago#1
In SS, Claude is the only lord that lives. He goes back to almyra as its king and he always has the option to invade Fodlan if Edelgard gets too crazy and Byleth doesn’t defeat her. In CF, he can convince Byleth and Edelgard (who’s extremely stubborn) to spare him with words. In BL, he pulls a successful pincer attack on the empire army when the empire attacks the alliance by calculating correctly when Dimitri’s army will take back the Kingdom capital and arrive to save his ass. He is a master tactician in all 3 other routes.

However, in his own route, his so-called golden scheme is just asking for reinforcements from his homeland Almyra, where he is actually the crown prince. He’s an incredibly intelligent and resourceful tactician and you’re telling me his great (and only one post timeskip in his route) scheme is just asking mom and dad for help? Tbh that feels like a wasted opportunity to show Claude’s intelligence and cleverness even though dressing up as imperial soldiers in the siege of fort merceus is a clever trick. I wish I could have dressed Claude up as a woman like Hilda suggested though.

User Info: Sentinel07

Sentinel07
5 days ago#2
As much as I like Claude, I can agree that his character does kind of fizzle out the closer you get to the end of his route, which is a shame.

User Info: BloodMoon7

BloodMoon7
5 days ago#3
Actually in SS it's not confirmed that he is alive. He is reported as missing. Perhaps that means he is alive. But it could also mean they never found his corpse. It could mean anything but nothing can be said definitely.

And his disguise plan is also pretty stupid since the DK isn't fooled. This is pointed out in BL, that the DK isn't going to fall for tricks. Of course it ended up working on the dumb Imperial troops but it could have easily have been a disaster. It's also not exclusive to him as Byleth will (somehow) come up with this exact idea, which is still very stupid.
Fire Emblem Three Mounteds
The Black Peaglesus, The Blue Stallions and the Golden Wyvern Rideers... Which mount will you choose? Fire Emblem Three Horses.

User Info: Mega_Gardevoir

Mega_Gardevoir
5 days ago#4
Yeah, he really does suffer from the copy+paste done between SS and VW. The reunion, the Fort and the VW Final Boss are basically all his unique Chapters that were complete, and we do see his smarts during those. You can tell because these all have cutscenes featuring Claude and those are not something they can just rush out last minute (like how they had to resort to mostly stills in BE).

However, every borrowed Chapter from BL and SS is basically him reciting stuff from the original paths. It's especially noticeable when even the writing quality drops massively during maps like Gronder. I just can't really blame Claude for the devs not being able to properly finish the paths though.
MG
(edited 5 days ago)

User Info: Zeveria

Zeveria
5 days ago#5
I figured his great scheme was forcing Byleth into a seat of power. Regarding Fort Merceus, however...

1) There was also the disguises and the fake battle to get them in.

2) Getting the Almyrans past Fodlan's throat.

3) Convincing the Almyrans to help him in the first place, since they hate Fodlan and they hate him too, dirty half-breed that he is. Apparently the torment he faced there was so bad he had to run away.
TP > OoT = MM > ST = SS = tWW > TFH > ALBW = PH > BOTW = MC > OoA > OoS > LA > FSA > FS > LoZ > AoL >>> aLttP
(edited 5 days ago)

User Info: CyclonSilver

CyclonSilver
5 days ago#6
I don't know about that. His plans and negotiations lead to events having the most weight. Deliberately taking advantage of Byleth's status is pretty smart. Obtaining reinforcements from Judith feels logical. His plan to lure the Gloucesters away is good and intricate. Negociating with every alliance lord to unify it once Myrddin is recaptured makes a lot of sense. The whole Merceus plan makes it feel like the thing is actually difficult to take, and making Holst and Nardel meet in person was pretty clever, as it introduces an element of surprise.

In other routes, either Judith has little reason to actually help you or Rodrigue should not have troops/funds to spare when on the losing side of a war for years, asking Claude to lure the Gloucester away was pretty dumb and then for some reason the alliance reunites anyway and in BL you fight them, like what? Then on one side Merceus is taken thanks to a plan Byleth made up while half asleep it would seem, meanwhile in BL you bum rush Fhirdiad and win, then bum rush Dierdru and win, killing Arundel in the process by complete accident how convenient, then bum rush Merceus and win. None of it feels particularly impactful or earned.

I'm not saying GD is the "true" version, but I like the fact that things have much more weight there, in general anyway(the two final chapters do feel rushed). If anything, Claude's biggest problem is that his plans are super risky, which the game does acknowledge.
Satisfaction = Quality - Expectations + Tolerance
If Satisfaction > 0, Enjoyment = (Satisfaction + Expectations) / Hours spent on Gamefaqs
(edited 5 days ago)

PlasticFrog
5 days ago#7
Zeveria posted...
I figured his great scheme was forcing Byleth into a seat of power. Regarding Fort Merceus, however...

1) There was also the disguises and the fake battle to get them in.

2) Getting the Almyrans past Fodlan's throat.

3) Convincing the Almyrans to help him in the first place, since they hate Fodlan and they hate him too, dirty half-breed that he is. Apparently the torment he faced there was so bad he had to run away.

The disguises are clever, and I agree it's actually amazing that Claude manages to get the Almyrans to help, but I was just expecting more from Claude. He's the cleverest lord in 3H and he's described as a schemer, but that's just it? The chapter is called the Golden Scheme and I was expecting something more.

Besides, other than the siege of fort merceus Claude pretty much uses the same tactics edgy Dimitri and Gilbert (who's just a knight!) use in BL. I don't know, that is rather disappointing and I feel it's lazy writing. Surely Claude's schemes and tactics should be better than Dimitri, who basically just charges into everything.

Then again, getting Byleth into a seat of power willingly is pretty brilliant.

PlasticFrog
5 days ago#8
CyclonSilver posted...
I don't know about that. His plans and negotiations lead to events having the most weight. Deliberately taking advantage of Byleth's status is pretty smart. Obtaining reinforcements from Judith feels logical. His plan to lure the Gloucesters away is good and intricate. Negociating with every alliance lord to unify it once Myrddin is recaptured makes a lot of sense. The whole Merceus plan makes it feel like the thing is actually difficult to take, and making Holst and Nardel meet in person was pretty clever, as it introduces an element of surprise.

In other routes, either Judith has little reason to actually help you or Rodrigue should not have troops/funds to spare when on the losing side of a war for years, asking Claude to lure the Gloucester away was pretty dumb and then for some reason the alliance reunites anyway and in BL you fight them, like what? Then on one side Merceus is taken thanks to a plan Byleth made up while half asleep it would seem, meanwhile in BL you bum rush Fhirdiad and win, then bum rush Dierdru and win, killing Arundel in the process by complete accident how convenient, then bum rush Merceus and win. None of it feels particularly impactful or earned.

I'm not saying GD is the "true" version, but I like the fact that things have much more weight there, in general anyway(the two final chapters do feel rushed). If anything, Claude's biggest problem is that his plans are super risky, which the game does acknowledge.

Though, BL bum rushing everything is pretty accurate for Dimitri, and killing all TWSITD by accident is very hilarious lol.

Frankly, I wish VW was more heavily-focused on defeating TWSITD. Maybe take out the Ailell chapter, Myrddin one and perhaps even the gronder battle and replace them with battles against the TWSITD would make it more unique. I think IS wasted my best boy Claude's own route.

User Info: Zeveria

Zeveria
4 days ago#9
PlasticFrog posted...
Besides, other than the siege of fort merceus Claude pretty much uses the same tactics edgy Dimitri and Gilbert (who's just a knight!) use in BL. I don't know, that is rather disappointing and I feel it's lazy writing.

It is lazy re-used writing. The question is...is Claude using the same schemes as Dimitri and Gilbert? Or are they using the same schemes as him? Rather, which character seems more likely to lure enemies into Garreg Mach and then set the town on fire?
TP > OoT = MM > ST = SS = tWW > TFH > ALBW = PH > BOTW = MC > OoA > OoS > LA > FSA > FS > LoZ > AoL >>> aLttP

User Info: Misha-Heart

Misha-Heart
4 days ago#10
People make fun of Edelgard's route being incomplete, but Claude's is a literal copy of another route. His conflict is just too detached from the main game.
Yuri/Shoujo-Ai is the purest love. No questions asked.
"Life is long when you live it, but oh so short when you look back."
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. VW kind of wasted Claude? (Spoiler?)
  • Post New Message