• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. C/D: Edelgard is the most controversial FE character to date

User Info: StellaLunaris

StellaLunaris
1 week ago#11
Wait until we get a short-shorts shota.

Somebody please, how do you delete units from Housamo? Every time I see Kotaro I wanna dunk my phone in bleach...
https://society6.com/redpawdesigns
I draw stuff. Buy a pillow to support your butt AND my gaming backlog collection

User Info: NeoElfboy

NeoElfboy
1 week ago#12
Metal Gear Raxis posted...
I would say yes, because unlike Micaiah she has a lot of fans, and unlike Corrin she has fans.

Micaiah has lots of fans, she literally just won the female side of the last CYL. Corrin a bit less so, of course, but does certainly have fans too.
The RPG Duelling League: www.rpgdl.com
An unparalleled source for RPG information and discussion

User Info: TalesOfDerve

TalesOfDerve
1 week ago#13
Espectrox posted...
Edelgard is a f***ing triumph in terms of writing a character that connects with the user base. It doesnt matter if its for good of bad reasons, people cant stop arguing and then, just like in wrestling, she is in the spotlight all the time. Bravo

I can't really answer the poll question since I am fairly new to the FE franchise having really only played Echoes before this one (Awakening and Birthright are on the to do pile).

I am 100% there with you on Edelbae being a good character. Even on my third playthrough, I am conflicted about Edelbae's actions. I originally described Edelbae as The Rock during The Corporate Champion phase in terms of "The Rock did what The Rock had to do to get ahead." While that is still true, Edelbae does make quite a few compromises that she doesn't particularly agree with in order to win the war. Manipulative, strategic, yet also short-sighted and vulnerable (oddly enough) Edelbae is a weird mixture. Anti-hero and anti-villain rolled together.

And not to try to devolve this into a troll session, but Edelbae's character is almost like that quote that Rian Johnson said about the type of movie he wanted to make (which was said well before he wrote and directed The Last Jedi) in terms of getting a divided reaction to have that discussion and dialogue. Edelbae has seemingly achieved that within the fandom of a game that we all seem to really enjoy (as in we aren't at each other's throats about the game, unlike The Last Jedi which had...mixed reaction to say the least from people I have talked to).

I think a lot of that deals with characterization of the other characters. Ferdie may be a self-obsessed naive noble, but his heart is generally in the right place and his support conversations (especially with Dorothea) flesh him out a lot and make him very likeable (at least for me). Lysithea is dealing with what is essentially a terminal diagnosis and tries to spend her time studying the hardest...and eating sweets. And I do like the in-universe reason given for Lysithea and Edelgard's hair color as it gives their supports quite a knowing wink and nod.

Suffice it to say, my feelings about Edelbae (or Rhea's actions for that matter) don't detract from my feelings or experience with the game. If anything, it makes it more in-depth or enriching to be annoyed with or proud of Edelbae. Anti-hero or anti-villain, a compromised complicated mess. In other words, Edelbae was human and thats why she's resonated as much as she has. That and her character design is pretty great, too and her English VA did an amazing job. In fact, all the English VA's did a good job.

I just really like this game a lot, lol.
---
Currently playing: Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Tales of Vesperia, The Princess Guide, Pokemon Sun, Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
Espectrox posted...
Edelgard is a f***ing triumph in terms of writing a character that connects with the user base. It doesnt matter if its for good of bad reasons, people cant stop arguing and then, just like in wrestling, she is in the spotlight all the time. Bravo

Yeah at this point she really is the spotlight. No other character comes even close when it comes to debates and opinions. It’s insane how she is literally the talk of the hour for almost every day.
https://m.imgur.com/fT8He8d?r
Notice me senpai!

User Info: chicksan

chicksan
1 week ago#15
Metal Gear Raxis posted...
I would say yes, because unlike Micaiah she has a lot of fans, and unlike Corrin she has fans.
Corrin and Micaiah have fans, it's just that most of them are not in Gamefaqs.

Few people played Micaiah's game, and Edelgard, unlike Corrin, is good written
Sorry for my bad english

User Info: VagrantElton

VagrantElton
1 week ago#16
She definitely is the most polarizing character to date, yeah. It's a testament to how f***ing good a character she is.

She's the most memorable thing about 3H, whether you like her or not tbh.

User Info: PurpleEchoes

PurpleEchoes
1 week ago#17
DiogoShadowJorg posted...
Goes whitout saying. The fact that it brings up so many people to show their true colors, is pretty telling.

I like how people liking a fictional character shows their "true colors"
"I don't want fear for a future, that may not even come, to stop me from acting today."

User Info: FelurFalas

FelurFalas
1 week ago#18
They should have made Edelgard a loli too, then she would have been controversial to the MAXXX.
Yorokobi No Ito Wa Canon Tsumugidasu
The Thread of Happiness is Weaved by a Canon

User Info: VagrantElton

VagrantElton
1 week ago#19
PurpleEchoes posted...
Goes whitout saying. The fact that it brings up so many people to show their true colors, is pretty telling.

Don't you know? Apparently liking a morally grey character makes you a fascist nowadays.
VagrantElton posted...
PurpleEchoes posted...

Don't you know? Apparently liking a morally grey character makes you a fascist nowadays.

If it was only liking... I'm talking about people who openly support her actions. There are plenty of people here that like her, but won't support her actions.
"Righteousness is like a good sword... just keep it pointed in the right direction."
FC: 3926-8239-0430
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. C/D: Edelgard is the most controversial FE character to date
  • Post New Message