• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. Claude is honestly kinda irrelevant overall

User Info: FelurFalas

FelurFalas
4 weeks ago#21
THEBEYONDMAN posted...
The reason why Claude is perceived as irrelevant, in my opinion, is because he doesn't have any past dealings with TWSITD.

Since they weren't there to ruin his childhood, he doesn't have any outward angst like Edelgard and Dimitri.

I'm grateful for that though, he represents the voice of reason out of the three. The main conflict is just a mishmash of misplaced anger and an inability to solve any actual problems. Which I feel Claude's route avoids the most.
Exactly. Not crazy enough to be controversial.
Yorokobi No Ito Wa Canon Tsumugidasu
The Thread of Happiness is Weaved by a Canon

User Info: Walshin

Walshin
4 weeks ago#22
TalesOfXAndY posted...
It annoys me how the game keeps reminding you of how much a schemer he is (BE Chapter 14 is really bad about this)

That chapter pissed me off real bad. " He's the Master Tactician, be careful, he always has unexpected schemes up his sleeve ! "

What's his master plan actually ? A freaking typical pincer attack. Oh no. Such mastery. Much scheme. Wow.

User Info: THEBEYONDMAN

THEBEYONDMAN
4 weeks ago#23
FelurFalas posted...
THEBEYONDMAN posted...
The reason why Claude is perceived as irrelevant, in my opinion, is because he doesn't have any past dealings with TWSITD.

Since they weren't there to ruin his childhood, he doesn't have any outward angst like Edelgard and Dimitri.

I'm grateful for that though, he represents the voice of reason out of the three. The main conflict is just a mishmash of misplaced anger and an inability to solve any actual problems. Which I feel Claude's route avoids the most.
Exactly. Not crazy enough to be controversial.

I think if they had Claude done more badass things in the story, like crazy battle strategies and or being able to get through to Dimitri and Edelgard with some 4D chess or sonething he definitely would have been more relevant without necessarily being controversial.

I just think he would probably overshadow everyone else though, as he should.
"I'll bear this pain until the day I die, but I refuse to wallow in it." -Felix Fraldarius, Fire Emblem: Three Houses

User Info: kollie89

kollie89
4 weeks ago#24
Walshin posted...
What's his master plan actually ? A freaking typical pincer attack. Oh no. Such mastery. Much scheme. Wow.

I mean yeah...but It’s a pincer attack led by an Almyran legend. He basically pulls another nations army outta his pocket, and it’s not a subservient nation like if Edlegard just whipped out a brigad army, this was an enemy nation that Claudes unique position allowed him to ally with.
https://m.imgur.com/a/kF9tE
https://m.imgur.com/a/VmlFu

User Info: FelurFalas

FelurFalas
4 weeks ago#25
The problem is that Claude's supposed strategies and schemes are all off screen and barely gets mentioned, negating any impact they may have had on his character's intrigue.

If you think about it, it does take some political maneuvering to get a whole army from an enemy nation in as your backup without massive backlash from the local leaders, but none of this is shown. It was literally just, "surprise, mf!" Furthermore, he has no tragic background or crazy ambitions like his peers to speak of, and even if he did, it was literally not spoken of.

Overall, the problem is not that Claude is truly irrelevant. It is that he comes across as too plain. I blame IS/KT, though. It is not like they are known for writing good characters. It is easier to make a controversial character like Edelgard or a tragic character like Dimitir than it is to make a more intricate character like Claude--or at least how he was supposed to be.
Yorokobi No Ito Wa Canon Tsumugidasu
The Thread of Happiness is Weaved by a Canon

User Info: Dirak

Dirak
4 weeks ago#26
His whole faction never made sense to me from the beginning.
You have the old empire, the holy kingdom, and... a group of independent nobles who still seem to have a leader.
They are an unneeded third wheel in the story.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjrQEsqcvpM
Some music goes with everything.

User Info: rukn

rukn
4 weeks ago#27
Firstly you need Claude to snark at Edelgard and Dimitri otherwise the dialogue gets stuffy. You also need him as someone who contrasts with Edelgard and Dimitri. He is the only ruler who actually cares to limit bloodshed. He is smarter than Dimitri but isnt ruthless like Edelgard.

He is the most committed to finding the truth whereas Dimitri is delusional and Edelgard is willing to act in spite of the uncertainty surrounding Fodlan’s past. He actually acts the most like a modern politician cobbling together all sorts of people with different motives behind a single cause. He has a genuine plan and vision for Fodlan which contrasts well with Dimitri , but is willing to hold out till he gets a chance to make his reforms. Also you need at least one lord who isn’t so caught up in Fodlan’s traumatic history.

He isn’t as Machiavellian as I thought he would be, but again we have Edelgard for that. He is also perfect for people who aren’t comfortable with the other two lords.

kollie89
4 weeks ago#28
FelurFalas posted...
Furthermore, he has no tragic background or crazy ambitions like his peers to speak of, and even if he did, it was literally not spoken of.

He has a tragic backstory it’s talked about in a lot of his supports, he basically was treated as an outsider in both his homelands because of his mixed blood, it’s just nowhere near as crazy as the other two lords backstories lol. Also unlike the other two lords he didn’t let the pain of his past utterly consume his life, if anything it seems to have made him a more understanding and overall better person.

He also wants to open up the throat and unify Almayra and fodlan, while also unifying fodlan to some degree, the problem is beating El while basically help both those things come to pass easier so instead of him being about those two goals it’s more about stopping the crazy tyrant on the other side of the war

User Info: Milla_Maxwell

Milla_Maxwell
4 weeks ago#29
I wish they had played up his schemer side more. Instead of just making him stay static across the whole thing.

I feel like he'd maybe have been more interesting if they'd shown this off instead of being tell, not show.
Gamers this generation only work in hyperbole. Something is either god's gift to gaming or a cancerous blight that needs to die in a fire. There's no in between

kollie89
4 weeks ago#30
Milla_Maxwell posted...
I wish they had played up his schemer side more. Instead of just making him stay static across the whole thing.

I feel like he'd maybe have been more interesting.

That or just have everyone stop talking about schemes with him...it’s so weird, it’s like he gave himself a nickname and somehow got everyone on board with it

Maybe the real schemes were the friends we made along the way....
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. Claude is honestly kinda irrelevant overall
  • Topic Archived