• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. Do you believe Claude is being genuine through most of the story? *Spoilers*

User Info: Urodos

Urodos
4 days ago#41
Thrasher7170 posted...
Urodos posted...
Thrasher7170 posted...
Urodos posted...
Thrasher7170 posted...
Chefcook90 posted...
Thrasher7170 posted...
I’m glad everyone else is coming around on Claude actually being a terrible person.

Uh... I think you missed the point of Claude entirely if you think people like him for being a "purity sue."

People love him for being a magnificent bastard.
Also memes.

Think of it this way:

Dimitri = Thor
Edelgard = Hel
Claude = Loki

Painting him as a meme lord or repeating that he’s a “Master Tactician” are both incorrect. He’s just an a******.

Except he is a meme lord and has been called the Master Tactician in-game several times.

His “tactics” usually boil down to him saying “I’m f***ed, here’s a last ditch effort” and it magically working out. He admits as much in the BL route after you save his ass in Deirdru.

He already knew how to win the battle to save Derdriu. The issue was he didn't have the resources or man-power to achieve it. Which is why he asks for help because he knew Dimitri would come since he's studied and understood his character well enough. It should also be mentioned that he was planning this much more ahead of time. (i.e. before you take back the Kingdom Capital, and the Roundtable Conference for the Alliance rejoining with the Kingdom) And yes, it all happened to work out, however, there was a lot of advanced planning involved for it to work. Now this is just one situation, and also he never says anything like "All my tactics are just miracles. I'm f***ed. Here's a last ditch effort." what he admits is that he sometimes takes risks. Risk-taking is not an uncommon thing in strategy; there's plenty of irl examples of that.

There’s a big difference between taking a risk and literally hinging the fate of your nation on the hope that one person could snap a homicidal maniac out of his funk in time to retake a capital city at the exact perfect time to get your messenger to show up and help. Because that’s what he did.

In other words, he took a risk. A bigger one than usual as he says himself, but a risk all the same.
FE Heroes Friend Code: 0995423310, Discord: Urodos

User Info: Namyks

Namyks
4 days ago#42
At the beginning of the game, absolutely not. He uses people for his own ambition, usually disregarding their personal boundaries to get whatever he wants. For example, his supports with Marianne and Ignatz have him just bulldoze right through their defenses to talk about things that make them uncomfortable, for no reason other than his own curiosity.

However, it should be very clear that post-timeskip he is very much genuine in his beliefs and ideals. He no longer uses his friends as tools, and instead sees them as people. This is true regardless of what route you're on. In fact it's much easier to see when you're fighting him, as his reactions to most of his comrades deaths feel much more genuine than Dimitri or Edelgard's reactions.

User Info: Captainflash

Captainflash
4 days ago#43
Celica posted...
Dimitri isn’t the only person who wants people to recognize each other as equals with or without crests. Seteth does too. It’s a little naive but it’s nothing less grand than wanting to erase racism and reform an entire system, and there are ways to devalue crests such as Hanneman’s technology and Sylvain somehow making it to where crests and relics weren’t deemed necessary. It’s like having a person with two natural arms and then giving a guy with one less arm a prosthetic to try to put them on similar grounds.
I’ll give you that “pushing your ideals” line but I feel like it might’ve just been worded terribly because it felt more like he was just saying that her ends didn’t justify her means. That she didn’t have a right to force her change on everyone else just because she thinks it’ll make everything better. I think he even goes on to say that what she’s doing isn’t worth it.
Overall I think the growth they wanted to focus on for Dimitri was letting go of his darkness. He’s definitely still naive throughout the route but at least he went ahead and killed Edelgard.
I think your points are fair- My frustration is that Claude and Edelgard’s plans are specific and proactive- Claude feels that opening the borders between cultures will naturally cause Fodlan to reject some of its more backward components, and Edelgard’s plans involve things like her discussion with Ferdinand about insuring equal educational access. Dimitri isn’t actively pursuing fixing the system the way the other two are.

To use your example of the prosthetic, I can tell you from experience that the individual with the prosthetic/disability is always going to be regarded as lesser than a person with two functioning arms, just like a person with a inborn crests is going to be considered “better” than a person with an artificial crest. This is why we have anti-discrimination laws- to allow everyone equal rights. Dimitri just seems to believe that since he treats everyone equally, everyone else will too.

User Info: ghosta2

ghosta2
4 days ago#44
He's the roguish type so being deceitful is in his nature.
"What is better. To be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort." - Paarthurnax
Gt: Ghosta2

User Info: Chefcook90

Chefcook90
4 days ago#45
Captainflash posted...
To use your example of the prosthetic, I can tell you from experience that the individual with the prosthetic/disability is always going to be regarded as lesser than a person with two functioning arms, just like a person with a inborn crests is going to be considered “better” than a person with an artificial crest. This is why we have anti-discrimination laws- to allow everyone equal rights. Dimitri just seems to believe that since he treats everyone equally, everyone else will too.

Well, he IS the King.

It's not as though his opinion doesn't carry weight - that's kind of how kingdoms work on principle.

He doesn't even need to make a formal decree - simply knowing that the most powerful man on the continent shares their opinion will cause like-minded people to rally and stand up for equality.
FE Fates Castle: 16268-39691-00496-50003
"Now I am become /rant, the destroyer of threads." - a user laments his giant walls of text

User Info: chaoz_king

chaoz_king
3 days ago#46
He wanted equality even though a failing system of nobility and hereditary titles still existed. He agreed with Edelgard's goal but thought her methods were too bloody, and yet wages war against her in his route. Edelgard's meme of "no, you" against Dimitri is more apt against Claude.
In those five years, he could have scraped out a proper treaty, like the abolition of nobility or something in exchange for independence. But, no, no mention of efforts other than feigning neutrality. I'm more frustrated at the Alliance, now that I think about it.

User Info: Celica

Celica
3 days ago#47
Captainflash posted...
Celica posted...
Dimitri isn’t the only person who wants people to recognize each other as equals with or without crests. Seteth does too. It’s a little naive but it’s nothing less grand than wanting to erase racism and reform an entire system, and there are ways to devalue crests such as Hanneman’s technology and Sylvain somehow making it to where crests and relics weren’t deemed necessary. It’s like having a person with two natural arms and then giving a guy with one less arm a prosthetic to try to put them on similar grounds.
I’ll give you that “pushing your ideals” line but I feel like it might’ve just been worded terribly because it felt more like he was just saying that her ends didn’t justify her means. That she didn’t have a right to force her change on everyone else just because she thinks it’ll make everything better. I think he even goes on to say that what she’s doing isn’t worth it.
Overall I think the growth they wanted to focus on for Dimitri was letting go of his darkness. He’s definitely still naive throughout the route but at least he went ahead and killed Edelgard.
I think your points are fair- My frustration is that Claude and Edelgard’s plans are specific and proactive- Claude feels that opening the borders between cultures will naturally cause Fodlan to reject some of its more backward components, and Edelgard’s plans involve things like her discussion with Ferdinand about insuring equal educational access. Dimitri isn’t actively pursuing fixing the system the way the other two are.

I think we don’t see him actively fixing the system because, well, he has to actively fix himself first. His route is really just more or less his personal story.
It doesn’t help that the endings for every route feel kind of... abrupt.

User Info: goodJT

goodJT
3 days ago#48
chaoz_king posted...
and yet wages war against her in his route.

That's thanks to Byleth helping him grow a pair
AKA Tykronos/Ryltex, The Glass Wraith Of Gamefaqs.
Hoping to be a therapist/Counsellor for the Three Houses Cast, 'Cause they really need one.

User Info: ColdOne666

ColdOne666
3 days ago#49
Anyone voting yes either didn't play the game or is delusional. Claude is lieing and sneaking around 90% of the game.

Hes almost a sociopath.
FFX is the best game of all time. Comics are for kids. https://i.imgur.com/LJ3WSyB.gif . Germany and Great Britain should have been on the same side in WW2.

User Info: Tenzen12

Tenzen12
3 days ago#50
Claude pretending to be disingenuous is only disingenuous thing he is disingenuous about. It's just mask protect his honest to fault softie core.
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. Do you believe Claude is being genuine through most of the story? *Spoilers*
  • Post New Message