• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. Does anyone here like both Edelgard AND Rhea?

User Info: MechaFlo

MechaFlo
1 month ago#11
I like Edelgard but don't agree with her methods.

I don't particularly like Rhea honestly but I don't hate her either.

User Info: rukn

rukn
1 month ago#12
Edelgard is my favourite lord but Rhea is also a fascinating figure. She went from losing her entire race to taking back power and defeating nemesis with her bare fists. I feel like Rhea is someone who is decidedly out of her time. She has a very sentimental view of the world where she really does believe that Sothis has infinite wisdom and that bringing her back as the leader of humanity will solve all problems. She is also so unbelievably lonely, and her reaction to loss is really painfully realistic in that she is trying to bring the dead back. Really in this way she shares a lot of similarities with Edelgard and Dimitri. They are all trying to deal with loss in their own ways. Rhea decides that she must bring her family back, and is maybe even hoping that Sothis restores her race, Dimitri is trying to dish out the pain he felt to the rest of the world; Edelgard is trying to give meaning to her loss by creating a world where no one has to suffer in the way she did again. And every single one of them is willing to kill for it.
In my opinion the tragedy of Rhea is that she created a religious and political system with her on top so that she could protect herself from humanity and bring her mother back, only to realise that being on top meant being isolated and her fear of humanity preventing her from making any true friendships with her followers. She does this even though humans did reach there hands out to her. The emperor of Adrestia protected her and went to war for her and gave everything to the cause of defeating nemesis. But rather than trusting humanity she creates a fake history and religion and makes herself humanity’s guide, and in doing so is forced to wear the mask you have to wear when everyone is projecting all sorts of stuff on you as the great leader.
I think that she is an amazing character she enriched the narrative and allows the writers to ask really interesting questions about the costs of leadership. I also like her personality she feels like the sort of person who is a little to sentimental and fiercely loyal and protective of folks who are close to her. I think that she is very very flawed and her flaws have enormous effects on all of Fodlan but she is one of my absolute favourite characters and people in the game.

User Info: brainrotter

brainrotter
1 month ago#13
rukn posted...
Edelgard is my favourite lord but Rhea is also a fascinating figure. She went from losing her entire race to taking back power and defeating nemesis with her bare fists. I feel like Rhea is someone who is decidedly out of her time. She has a very sentimental view of the world where she really does believe that Sothis has infinite wisdom and that bringing her back as the leader of humanity will solve all problems. She is also so unbelievably lonely, and her reaction to loss is really painfully realistic in that she is trying to bring the dead back. Really in this way she shares a lot of similarities with Edelgard and Dimitri. They are all trying to deal with loss in their own ways. Rhea decides that she must bring her family back, and is maybe even hoping that Sothis restores her race, Dimitri is trying to dish out the pain he felt to the rest of the world; Edelgard is trying to give meaning to her loss by creating a world where no one has to suffer in the way she did again. And every single one of them is willing to kill for it.
In my opinion the tragedy of Rhea is that she created a religious and political system with her on top so that she could protect herself from humanity and bring her mother back, only to realise that being on top meant being isolated and her fear of humanity preventing her from making any true friendships with her followers. She does this even though humans did reach there hands out to her. The emperor of Adrestia protected her and went to war for her and gave everything to the cause of defeating nemesis. But rather than trusting humanity she creates a fake history and religion and makes herself humanity’s guide, and in doing so is forced to wear the mask you have to wear when everyone is projecting all sorts of stuff on you as the great leader.
I think that she is an amazing character she enriched the narrative and allows the writers to ask really interesting questions about the costs of leadership. I also like her personality she feels like the sort of person who is a little to sentimental and fiercely loyal and protective of folks who are close to her. I think that she is very very flawed and her flaws have enormous effects on all of Fodlan but she is one of my absolute favourite characters and people in the game.

f***ing line breaks, how do they work?
We live as we dream-- alone. -Joseph Conrad
FEH FC: 0523262833 | +10s: Sigurd (lead), L!Hector, OG!Julia, OG!Reinhardt, SF!Nino, Ares

User Info: superxgaga

superxgaga
1 month ago#14
Threesome!
Byleth reaches for Dimitri's hand, Dimitri:"Sensei!! ", Edelgard walks up, smash his face in, "Oh Im sorry, did i break your concentration?"

User Info: rukn

rukn
1 month ago#15
brainrotter Will do next time

User Info: Adalwulfy

Adalwulfy
1 month ago#16
I like both.

And think both get too much hate.
SnK EVO was a mistake. Falcom should feel bad for letting it happen.
Done with all games in the series finally.

User Info: Captainflash

Captainflash
1 month ago#17
Rhea is one of the best examples of writing a religious leader/character I’ve seen in a video game. She’s fascinatingly complex, and her humanitarian efforts and her desire to control and manipulate make such an interesting gestalt of a character.

Edelgard’s PTSD is one of the best, most sensitive portrayals I’ve ever seen in any media. Her flaws and strengths are internally consistent, she has a clear ethical viewpoint, and every other main character is dramatically contrasted with her in interesting ways. She’s the engine of the game and the best character in the franchise.

User Info: Recon868

Recon868
1 month ago#18
rukn posted...

Rhea didnt create a false religion though. The essence of the religion is correct.

Rhea was smart not to trust humanity. That doesnt mean she hates humanity, but doesnt trust human nature

It's incredibly idiotic to the most extreme degree to trust humanity.

User Info: Dasoku

Dasoku
1 month ago#19
I do.

User Info: MechaFlo

MechaFlo
1 month ago#20
Recon868 posted...
Rhea didnt create a false religion though. The essence of the religion is correct.

Rhea was smart not to trust humanity. That doesnt mean she hates humanity, but doesnt trust human nature

It's incredibly idiotic to the most extreme degree to trust humanity.

Rhea knows full well that the goddess is dead, and is trying to resurrect her not watching over the people of Fodlan and listening to prayers or protecting anyone etc. It'd be like if the pope was actually St Peter in disguise and knew that Jesus didn't actually raise from the dead and ascend to heaven yet still established and perpetuated the faith.

I bring this up as an analogy not because I want to argue whether or not Christianity is true so let's please not go down that road here.
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. Does anyone here like both Edelgard AND Rhea?
  • Topic Archived