• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. It feels like Maddening is shaping up to be Awakening Lunatic 2.0

User Info: Pewpewblaster97

Pewpewblaster97
6 days ago#1
I'm only 6 Chapters into Maddening, but I think I'm be able to say with confidence that Maddening is repeating a lot of the same mistakes Awakening Lunatic.

To help prove my point, here is a comparison between enemies in Chapter 1 compared to Maddening: https://imgur.com/a/by11dCA

As you can see, the enemies on Maddening are significantly stronger, gaining 5 levels over there hard counterparts.

This huge increase in enemy quality really makes the majority of the cast to really suffer as a result. Enemies theives that were once fine to be attacked with Iron Swords now double even Petra with a Training Sword equipped. A unit like Casper would just flat out be incapable of avoiding being doubled while wielding any kind of weapon.

That brings up another massive factor about Maddening Mode: All EXP in Maddening is cut in half. Even with the increased enemy levels, units are never going to grow more than 1 or 2 levels at most per map. Auxiliary battles also cut even further, making units gain a only 5 or 6 EXP when they need over a hundred to level up.

Both of these factors combined make me really feel like Turtling and Low manning is the only real way to survive on this difficulty. Units just simple don't have the stats to aggressively go up against the amount of enemies the game throws at you without a massive amount of investment.

Anyone else share the same concerns?
"How!? How do you polish Rust!?"
- Codsworth

User Info: HayashiTakara

HayashiTakara
6 days ago#2
if you were the designer, how would you make it harder?
NNID: HTakara82 - Add me if you're looking for a good time, lol
NS FC: SW-6233-5661-0820

User Info: Dekadense

Dekadense
6 days ago#3
Welcome to real difficulty in FE in which only the best units can thrive.

User Info: Fudanshi

Fudanshi
6 days ago#4
You don't gotta low manning or turtle.
On my current run, I'm on Ch.11 and all of my students are LV17-20.
And I use a full team for every battle.

Some enemies AS is too high in my opinion, but that's the only thing I dislike about this mode.

Well, and it's too easy but I'll save that for another day.
"Papa, I have to say one more thing before we leave. ...Rrrgh rawrggh rrh! That's dragon for "I love you!"
- The Most Precious Thing in existence

User Info: Ryosagi

Ryosagi
6 days ago#5
I wonder about the NG+ bonuses. Will that help even it up.
I like to use exclamation points!! My favorite punctuation and it just shows emotion!!

User Info: Chefcook90

Chefcook90
6 days ago#6
@Fudanshi posted...
You don't gotta low manning or turtle.
On my current run, I'm on Ch.11 and all of my students are LV17-20.
And I use a full team for every battle.

Some enemies AS is too high in my opinion, but that's the only thing I dislike about this mode.

Well, and it's too easy but I'll save that for another day.

Out of curiousity, which house are you currently playing as and which out-of-house units have you recruited?

Oh, and is it a New Game, or a NG+?

Having full statue bonuses would definitely fix the exp problem.
FE Fates Castle: 16268-39691-00496-50003
"Now I am become /rant, the destroyer of threads." - a user laments his giant walls of text

User Info: Goatanic

Goatanic
6 days ago#7
This is what happens when hype up a f***ing difficulty setting.
will smith's kids

User Info: Pewpewblaster97

Pewpewblaster97
6 days ago#8
Hayas***akara posted...
if you were the designer, how would you make it harder?

Make the enemies more offensively threating while still have them be defensively weak. Change the objectives of maps so that they're not easily done in one turn. Put an emphasis on skill combinations like giving a thief that wields a Levin Sword have Fiendish Blow.

I'd most certainly not just dump a couple of levels and skills on enemies and just call it a day.
"How!? How do you polish Rust!?"
- Codsworth

User Info: Airship_Canon

Airship_Canon
6 days ago#9
Pewpewblaster97 posted...
All EXP in Maddening is cut in half.
It's not a direct halving. It's 62.5%
Exactly enough to line up to the statues, such that if you have the statues it's now neutralized.
http://i.imgur.com/0GZFPf1.gif

User Info: MisterNobody

MisterNobody
6 days ago#10
Nice. We've evolved from people whining about the game being too easy to people whining about the game being too hard.
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. It feels like Maddening is shaping up to be Awakening Lunatic 2.0
  • Topic Archived