You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. If you can't look at each route in a vacuum, you have no business discussing FEH

User Info: Rethalwolf

Rethalwolf
2 days ago#71
PouringLight posted...
What lives did she save with that stunt TC? She almost killed herself in the process.

Yeah, it failed because Claude ran - but she couldn't have known that beforehand, being that she's not an omniscient time-traveling god like us.

GreenMage7 posted...
Rethalwolf posted...
Killing one to save the lives of many is considered one of the most noble acts out there. Just think about how when we finally got Bin Laden. Sure, that was a terrorist, but the concept is the same - war means deaths, assassination means political takeover without war, therefore assassination means basically no deaths. You're weighing the lives of Claude and Dimitri against the lives of everyone that goes to battle. Still good guy status.

But again, you are killing them with no evidence of how they will act. For all you know, Claude's removal could throw the Alliance into chaos and infighting that costs far more life.

Evidence is really important.

Another reason to watch The Boys. Please, please tell me you will at least look into watching it. It's only 8 episodes. =D

Infighting in the Alliance only serves to weaken them and make a political takeover easier for her. You also can't have evidence for how your actions will affect something in the future, unless you're a time traveler or omniscient time traveling god. All actions committed, ever, come with no evidence of how they will change the future.

KaiserChad posted...
Rethalwolf posted...
True, to omniscient gods like us, she had no foundation. But, like I keep saying, you have to understand each route in a vacuum to be of any worth to any discussion about any part of the plot.

I disagree. Putting Edelgard's route in vacuum isn't indicative of the game's plot. The information given is wrong.

Then you're wrong, because that's the point. The information given is the only information she had. It's the only information you can use to judge her or her route. Using outside information is only possible because we're omniscient time traveling gods, which is an inherently flawed approach to understanding any aspect of the story.
"The point of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the enemy die for his."

User Info: SC6

SC6
2 days ago#72
PouringLight posted...
TC your arguments are reaching a new level of idiotic and your false equivalencies with the CIA shows how much your grasping. Edelgard is in a position of unquestioned power as the future emperor. She shouldn't be THAT oblivious.

By this line of logic. Dimitri should know His stepmom worked with TWSITD to assassinate him and the king but failed, and should do all he can to distance Edelgard (his childhood crush and step sister) from them
PSN - NovaSol6(PS3/VITA), GreenTea_Sama(PS4)
3DS FC: 0533-5134-4439

User Info: Binkster

Binkster
2 days ago#73
SC6 posted...
PouringLight posted...
TC your arguments are reaching a new level of idiotic and your false equivalencies with the CIA shows how much your grasping. Edelgard is in a position of unquestioned power as the future emperor. She shouldn't be THAT oblivious.

By this line of logic. Dimitri should know His stepmom worked with TWSITD to assassinate him and the king but failed, and should do all he can to distance Edelgard (his childhood crush and step sister) from them

But he wasn’t the king... he was an exile and he found out literally as soon as he took back the kingdom.
"Not to sway your opinion, but... You? Me? Golden Deer? We could be great together." Claude von Reigan (FE:Three Houses)
Official Claude of FETH Board

User Info: PouringLight

PouringLight
2 days ago#74
SC6 posted...
PouringLight posted...

What does Dimitri have to do with this? No one said he was smart.
no one needs that piece of dung s*** character. overrated and annoying, name one character who isn't like this - Ajnin on Yoshi

Rethalwolf
2 days ago#75
MrPerson01 posted...
Rethalwolf posted...

1. She doesn't condone the deaths of innocents, except Dimitri and Claude

Uhh, pretty sure it wasn't only Dimitri, Claude, and Edelgard who set up camp out there. There were other nobles there (guessing the other students, since Dimitri calls them companions), along with the village, and the bandit leader was told to kill as many as possible. That's a lot of innocents, not just two.

Rethalwolf posted...

Killing one to save the lives of many is considered one of the most noble acts out there.

Sure, as long as the one is not innocent.

If that's true, then that makes even more sense - kill all of the nobles and the crest lines are broken immediately. Consolidating into a single nation is easy at that point, and the Church could be blamed for its failure to protect them. An entire war avoided for just a few deaths. Pretty good plan tbh.

As far as your final comment: so you wouldn't kill Hitler as a baby? /s
"The point of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the enemy die for his."

User Info: MrPerson01

MrPerson01
2 days ago#76
Rethalwolf posted...
but she couldn't have known that beforehand

This is probably one of the dumbest reasons I have ever seen to try to defend Edelgard. "I didn't know he could die if he was hit at 15 mph" doesn't excuse you of manslaughter. Seeing that their companions were at the camp with them, Edelgard was willing to have many innocents killed.

Rethalwolf posted...

If that's true, then that makes even more sense - kill all of the nobles and the crest lines are broken immediately.

Except, a good amount of the companions do not have crests? You are truly jumping through hoops.
(edited 2 days ago)

Rethalwolf
2 days ago#77
Binkster posted...
SC6 posted...
PouringLight posted...

But he wasn’t the king... he was an exile and he found out literally as soon as he took back the kingdom.

And Edelgard wasn't the Emperor when TWSITD was committing all those atrocities. And, as I said before, tmk the only thing she uses them for in her route is her axe - otherwise, it's just Hubert researching them.

User Info: GreenMage7

GreenMage7
2 days ago#78
Rethalwolf posted...
Infighting in the Alliance only serves to weaken them and make a political takeover easier for her. You also can't have evidence for how your actions will affect something in the future, unless you're a time traveler or omniscient time traveling god. All actions committed, ever, come with no evidence of how they will change the future.

See, I'm confused now.

First you were arguing that she was trying to prevent loss of life.

Now you are arguing that possible loss of life would put her in a better position to take them over.

Which is it?

I was arguing against the idea that she was killing them to prevent loss of life because she has no evidence that is the case. Which, I agree with you, she couldn't.

Which is exactly the problem.

And why I don't agree with her methods.

She is killing an innocent person, deciding for them that their loss of life is for the greater good, all to strengthen her own position regardless of the aftermath.

This is exactly why I don't approve of her methods.

Rethalwolf
2 days ago#79
MrPerson01 posted...
Rethalwolf posted...
but she couldn't have known that beforehand

This is probably one of the dumbest reasons I have ever seen to try to defend Edelgard. "I didn't know he could die if he was hit at 15 mph" doesn't excuse you of manslaughter. Seeing that their companions were at the camp with them, Edelgard was willing to have many innocents killed.

I meant she couldn't have known Claude would be able to escape. The plan, strategically, was sound.

Rethalwolf posted...

If that's true, then that makes even more sense - kill all of the nobles and the crest lines are broken immediately.

Except, a good amount of the companions do not have crests? You are truly jumping through hoops.

So what? A couple deaths here prevents a bloody continental war. Easy choice.
TC's upset not everyone loves his waifu
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. If you can't look at each route in a vacuum, you have no business discussing FEH