You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. As much as I love Edelgard, I have to admit it: she's wrong.
lowell666 posted...
Hmmm, I don’t know. Might have to do with all the people that end up dying as a result of said war. Possibly
And the people who die or live greatly diminished lives to maintain the hierarchial systems? And the people who die at the hands of the church for the blasphemy of going against their religion? People are going to die regardless, it's better to attack the moral and ethical justifications of the war or the war crimes she commits during the war.

User Info: BardofDorAr

BardofDorAr
2 days ago#22
lowell666 posted...
SerenityOfGames posted...
I dunno why everyone has a problem with her declaring war. Declaring war and leveraging military power is a legitimate political and diplomatic tool. If the war was unjust she'd experience backlash and diminished support from her citizens and country. Did you miss when Rhea had the Western Church purged and executed for being manipulated by TWSITD? They go through great lengths in the early game to paint her as unforgiving and overzealous with how she handles transgressions against the church and how she demands complete obedience of the church's dogmas.

The biggest problem with Edelgard is her cooperation with TWSITD which is completely unnecessary and unjustified.

Hmmm, I don’t know. Might have to do with all the people that end up dying as a result of said war. Possibly

He said if the war wasn't just the people would give backlash. That right there is a sign he's never heard of political maneuvering and manipulation.

Which is funny because he draws on it to point out the early attempts to villify the Church.

Which was done to falsely make the Church look worse than it was. Which in turn leads the average person to believe the lies of the Empire that justify war.

Which proves the War Unjust because they have to trick everyone to go with it vs being honest.

User Info: StellaLunaris

StellaLunaris
2 days ago#23
Props to you for being able to like a character while admitting what they were doing was wrong.

*Whispers* ...Stay away from Tumblr's Star Wars fandom if you think Kylo Ren is a fascinating character. They will eat you alive.
https://society6.com/redpawdesigns
I draw stuff. Buy a pillow to support your butt AND my gaming backlog collection

User Info: Rethalwolf

Rethalwolf
2 days ago#24
I dunno why everyone has a problem with her declaring war. Declaring war and leveraging military power is a legitimate political and diplomatic tool. If the war was unjust she'd experience backlash and diminished support from her citizens and country. Did you miss when Rhea had the Western Church purged and executed for being manipulated by TWSITD? They go through great lengths in the early game to paint her as unforgiving and overzealous with how she handles transgressions against the church and how she demands complete obedience of the church's dogmas.

The biggest problem with Edelgard is her cooperation with TWSITD which is completely unnecessary and unjustified.

This. And Edelgard doesn't even want to cooperate with TWSITD, it's only at Hubert's insistence. Plus, she's been manipulated her whole life - the Empire itself has been manipulated for generations.

Edelgard correctly believed that the war was necessary. Everyone likes to say that Claude accomplished the same thing without starting a war, but those things he does are literally only possible because of the war - and, were Edelgard to rise against the church unprepared, her insurrection would be culled just like the Western Church or the Emperor that rose against Rhea all those years ago. The Church has the Kingdom wrapped around its finger, so any "sitdown" is an impossibility.
"The point of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the enemy die for his."
(edited 2 days ago)

User Info: suburbshulk

suburbshulk
2 days ago#25
lowell666 posted...
And the people who die or live greatly diminished lives to maintain the hierarchial systems? And the people who die at the hands of the church for the blasphemy of going against their religion? People are going to die regardless, it's better to attack the moral and ethical justifications of the war or the war crimes she commits during the war.

Greatly diminished lives even though most people don't care? There was only a handful of people even truly affected like Lysithea and Edelgard. That doesn't mean you go on a continent spanning war and kill way more people than you ever saved.

User Info: Sandslashed

Sandslashed
2 days ago#26
TC you played Church route right? Did you play Edelgard’s route?
3DS Friend Code: 2595 - 0912 - 2733

User Info: EmrelGuy

EmrelGuy
2 days ago#27
suburbshulk posted...
lowell666 posted...

Greatly diminished lives even though most people don't care? There was only a handful of people even truly affected like Lysithea and Edelgard. That doesn't mean you go on a continent spanning war and kill way more people than you ever saved.

“If the oppressed don’t know they’re oppressed are they oppressed”

User Info: suburbshulk

suburbshulk
2 days ago#28
Rethalwolf posted...

This. And Edelgard doesn't even want to cooperate with TWSITD, it's only at Hubert's insistence. Plus, she's been manipulated her whole life - the Empire itself has been manipulated for generations.

Edelgard correctly believed that the war was necessary. Everyone likes to say that Claude accomplished the same thing without starting a war, but those things he does are literally only possible because of the war - and, were Edelgard to rise against the church unprepared, her insurrection would be culled just like the Western Church or the Emperor that rose against Rhea all those years ago. The Church has the Kingdom wrapped around its finger.

Claude's war had far less bloodshed and accomplished more than Edelgard's. It is even mentioned in GD by Edelgard that Claude had a superior plan and that they should have joined forces rather than fight each other.

User Info: Rethalwolf

Rethalwolf
2 days ago#29
suburbshulk posted...
Rethalwolf posted...

Edelgard correctly believed that the war was necessary. Everyone likes to say that Claude accomplished the same thing without starting a war, but those things he does are literally only possible because of the war - and, were Edelgard to rise against the church unprepared, her insurrection would be culled just like the Western Church or the Emperor that rose against Rhea all those years ago. The Church has the Kingdom wrapped around its finger.

Claude's war had far less bloodshed and accomplished more than Edelgard's. It is even mentioned in GD by Edelgard that Claude had a superior plan and that they should have joined forces rather than fight each other.

And his war never would or could have happened without hers.
"The point of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the enemy die for his."

User Info: Esper69

Esper69
2 days ago#30
These edelgard fanatics will do anything to make her look like a saint by adding more (untrue) flames about the church and justify starting a war.
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. As much as I love Edelgard, I have to admit it: she's wrong.