You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. Sylvain Solo Playlog (Maddening Difficulty)

User Info: McLahey

McLahey
5 days ago#11
Prologue: Nothing to report. Byleth set up camp in the forests and solo'd the map (with a little bit of help from daddy).

Ch. 1, Rivalry of the Houses: Sylvain is here, and with him, the actual run! Before we begin, we'll need to pawn off some items in the Marketplace to stock up on Concoctions. A handful of those, a Training Lance, and an Iron Bow is all he needs for this chapter (and his handy dandy Tempest Lance, of course).

Basic strategy is as follows: stay on the edge of one (1) enemy's range (equipping the appropriate weapon to counterattack), run away from them while healing whenever necessary, and then finish them off with Tempest Lance once their health is low enough from your counterattacks. Use forest tiles when you can, and keep Byls and Demi away from the baddy-bads.

On turn 1, Sylvain starts by waiting on the edge of Dorothea's range with a bow. She has a 9% Crit chance, but if your name is Lahey, the game mistakes it for 90%, making you start the map over like five times. She chases us to the southeast corner for three rounds of combat while Chad and Iggy lag behind. After she's dead, we go west, staying one square outside of Iggy's range but doing the chip dance with Chad. Chad chases us all the way to the southwest corner until it's time to Tempest Lance him. Next we take care of Iggy, who's not much of a threat by himself.

Then we head north and wait at the edge of Hilda's range for two turns (the first turn you enter her range she does nothing, because she's lazy (at least that's my headcanon)) which forces her to attack from 2-range with her Hand Axe, then finish her off when we're ready. For Claude, if you got lucky with your procs, you can simply Tempest Lance him twice, otherwise use the same strategy as all the others. Now we head northwest, hide in a bush, and hope Hanneman doesn't crit us with his 6% Crit chance. He of course does, so we do this all over again. On our way to do this all over again, Dorothea crits us a couple more times. F. Once we've successfully avoided the crits, we Tempest Lance him.

The next part's a little tricky—if Hubert and Ferdinand's attack ranges overlap, you get f***ed. The easiest way to avoid this is to head west, and then let Hubert attack you through the fence (or maybe it was a rock?), since Ferdinand will have go around and Hubert's probably dead or almost dead by then. Once you've killed goth bf, just dance around Ferdinand and Edelgard until they're dead, nothing special you need to do besides maybe position yourself to have the bush advantage. After them, all that's left is Manuela, who's easy (no pun intended). And it only took us 40 turns!

https://i.imgtc.ws/rmewcN1.jpg
Clear skies. Today, I weeded the fields. Work went well.
(edited 5 days ago)
Fudanshi posted...
It's random isn't it?

And I've had an adjacent set on Byleth for like, 10 battles and not once has he done anything lol

Maybe It's just tok unreliable.
It's tied to supports. At A level support I've seen the attack adjutant happen quite often. Yet to see defend or heal actions, though.
nd9k: everything i post is terrible
How many level up did you get ? If you’re playing solo, I’m guessing somewhere around 3-4 ?

McLahey
5 days ago#14
saphirthereaper posted...
How many level up did you get ? If you’re playing solo, I’m guessing somewhere around 3-4 ?

On NG, he hit Lv 4. But because this is NG+, he managed to hit Lv 5 due to the EXP bonuses. Pretty handy, because if you don't hit Lv 5 by the time the forced practice battle rolls around, you can't master Fighter for Str +2 during it, which makes Ch. 2 a bit harder. (You might be able to hit Lv 5 on NG by spending more turns camped in the forests, but I'm avoiding abuse as much as I can.)
(edited 5 days ago)

McLahey
5 days ago#15
Interlude: For Lots of Large Fish day, we managed to fish up three Two-t****** Pikes for those sweet +Def meals, plus a Golden Fish! (If gold wasn't so ridiculously abundant, this might be exciting.) Sylvain attended choir and weeded with Felix, becau— What? N-no, I don't ship them, don't be silly! Anyway, Byleth instructed Sylvain in the way of the sword, and we set his goals to Sword and Axe—Sword because we learn Vantage from Merc, and Axe so we can pass the Armored Kn. cert ASAP for the Def boost (and later we'll be going Brigand for Death Blow, and possibly wyvern down the line). No one else will be instructed in anything, so thankfully I don't have to make lesson plans and micromanage motivation this run ''

Auxiliary Battle, Whatever It's Called: This is the forced practice battle against the Knights of Seiros. Sylvain doubles and 3-shots with an Iron Lance here, so just park him in the northernmost tile of the nearby forest and let the knights gangbang him from all sides. This time it only took 9 turns—much more reasonable! Oh, and it was our first real solo battle, since there's no forced deploys. We also managed to master Fighter for Str +2.

https://i.imgtc.ws/5OMRzce.jpg

Interlude: No motivation, so no instruction :( We attended Byleth's seminar, and then passed the Myrm cert. Oh, and Sylvain and Felix reached C-support. K-kawaii...

https://i.imgtc.ws/1L0oqwa.jpg

Chapter 2, Red Canyon Dominance: Sylvain averages 11 Str by this point (Lv 6). Add in Str +2 from Fighter and Phys Atk +1 from a battalion, and that puts us at 14 Atk. Next we need 11 Spd, which he also averages, and we can start quadkilling b****es.

We draw out the Archer, then quad him from inside the bush, and tank the...Fighters, I think they are. Switch to Training Lance and heal up. Finish them off on EP, then advance to meet the next wave halfway and heal up again. Next we quad the Archer, miss 3/4 of our hits with a hitrate of over 80 because f*** me, I guess, and then finish him off on the next turn. Heal and switch to our lance to finish off Mr. Archer's thief friends. Hide in the bush and let the next wave chip at you. Say f*** out loud because your battalion retreats and you forgot that was a thing that happens (should've brought Jeralt's Mercenaries...). Witness the glorious return of Tempest Lance. Punch the Priest to death in an act of sacrilege. Thank Anna that the next wave is those b****-ass 7 AS mooks that we can quad again. Creep into the bushes and take on three Fighters at once because we fear no man. Oh f*** oh f*** one of them has a battal— And of course the Gambit hits.

Next we go for the chest and wonder why our hit rate against that Brigand is so low, and then we realize it's because he has Lancebreaker+, because I guess that's a skill that exists now. Back to our dangerously-close-to-breaking gauntlets. Go up the west side, ???, profit. Break your gauntlets and cry. Go kill Kostas as your resources run panic-inducingly low and that one Archer in the northeast starts beelining toward Byls and Demi who've been in the starting corner this whole time. Finish off boss before said Archer reaches them and pat yourself on the back for upholding the principles of a solo. And we did it one (1) whole turn faster than Ch. 1!

https://i.imgtc.ws/lbb3ZCD.jpg

By the way, did I mention that all Archers on Maddening have Poison Strike? Because they do.

User Info: darkknight39

darkknight39
5 days ago#16
also all thieves have pass on maddening.
"you cannot let yourself be held back by common sense " -Sanae Kochiya

User Info: Fudanshi

Fudanshi
5 days ago#17
Wow, Lancebreaker+ that early?
That's great and honestly more than I was expecting.
I would love for more standard enemies to get Breaker skills.
I do sorta miss the Weapon Triangle

Posion Strike on all Archers and Pass on all Assassins here is great too.
Poison Strike especially, as it means even the weakest attack can be damaging to those with super high DEF.

🌹
"Papa, I have to say one more thing before we leave. ...Rrrgh rawrggh rrh! That's dragon for "I love you!"
- The Most Precious Thing in existence

McLahey
5 days ago#18
darkknight39 posted...
also all thieves have pass on maddening.

Forgot about that, mostly because it's not really relevant on a solo, but that's gonna be fun for proper runs >>

Fudanshi posted...
Wow, Lancebreaker+ that early?
That's great and honestly more than I was expecting.
I would love for more standard enemies to get Breaker skills.
I do sorta miss the Weapon Triangle

Posion Strike on all Archers and Pass on all Assassins here is great too.
Poison Strike especially, as it means even the weakest attack can be damaging to those with super high DEF.

🌹

Yeah, threw me for a bit of a loop.

Don't forget Armored Blow on almost all the knights I've seen, too~

And yeah, Poison Strike is a big reason that it's difficult to survive while keeping the lords out of danger in Ch. 2 without Concoctions. You just can't kill and tank them all fast enough, at least if you're not able to quad them with gauntlets.

User Info: The_Juice_

The_Juice_
5 days ago#19
Digging the new skills, excited just to hear what else is different.

Would training for wyvern just be for the stat boost? I can't imagine you can stay in that class once siege arrows start popping up since obviously no one else can take them. Arrows in general seem like they'd be a nightmare to manage solo.
Difference in men & women: http://i.imgur.com/kHCwK2p.jpg
Broncos l Raptors l Dodgers l Maple Leafs l UCLA

McLahey
5 days ago#20
The_Juice_ posted...
Would training for wyvern just be for the stat boost? I can't imagine you can stay in that class once siege arrows start popping up since obviously no one else can take them. Arrows in general seem like they'd be a nightmare to manage solo.

Two main reasons I'm eyeing wyvern:

- I'm planning a Vantage + Wrath + Defiant Crit Dark Knight build if that's possible (not sure if there's any conflicts with classes or stacking there), so I'll need to master Wyvern Lord for DC
- Any maps where the above build isn't effective, maps where flight/LTC'ing it is beneficial, or maybe beast-heavy maps where I'll be wanting to utilize hit and run tactics

It's not that out of the way, since Sylvain's already at C Lance, C+ Axe, and I think D flying. Just need to raise flying to C+ and Axe to B+ or A-ish. Might also raise flying to A+ anyway for Alert Stance+ as part of a dodgetank build?

Not too worried about arrows, b/c Dismount and Aurora Shield (my restrictions mean I can't get the Rafail Gem, since I'd have to recruit Caspar)
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. Sylvain Solo Playlog (Maddening Difficulty)