• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. C/D: Byleth isn't a very good Avatar

User Info: brainrotter

brainrotter
1 month ago#81
EdeaCreamer posted...
Oh, no no, I've always been a proponent of 'I want an Avatar, but I don't want that Avatar to have plot significance.' I just want a fully customizable juggernaut; I really don't need them to participate in the plot in any way other than being my personal blood-drenched war god.

Mark was perfect plot-wise, but then he's not a deployable unit we can customize. Kris could've been this, but nope, he has to basically hijack the plot from Marth and constantly be the center of attention. Robin does the same thing to Chrom, only now the plot's original and is written with them in mind (which is bad). Corrin and Byleth are literal MCs and just -jank-.

What I want from an Avatar is 'Battle Mark.' Utterly irrelevant to the story, not in cutscenes or whatever, but I can make him/her however I want and smash things to bits with them. Maybe they'd just be the fully-fleshed-out MC's bad-ass retainer of few words and many very large, very gored-up sticks.

^This... I like this
We live as we dream-- alone. -Joseph Conrad
FEH FC: 0523262833 | +10s: L!Hector, Julia, OG!Reinhardt, SF!Nino, Ares

User Info: Tanookichris

Tanookichris
1 month ago#82
Alright... well this is gonna be more or less long or short for me...

According to the votes; half of the ones that voted yes may have some valid points and fair criticism on Byleth while the other half are just trolls and haters (mostly Corrin fanboys, Robin fanboys and Kris fanboys) that are just trying to s*** on Byleth just for being a silent protagonist complaining that he/she has no personality when in reality he/she does and there protagonists (like Steve from Minecraft) has zero personality. The rest of the votes that voted deny (myself included), actually have valid points on why Byleth is a good avatar while being aware of his/her flaws.

For me, I find Byleth a really interesting character than Robin (who is highly overpowered and extremely overrated), Corrin (we all know this) and Kris (stealing Marth’s spotlight and other bs). He/she is a really smart protagonist too due to their experience as a mercenary working with his/her dad. I also believe that his/her silent protagonist personality fits him/her really well and I kinda enjoy comparing them to the other silent protagonists (ie: Mario and Link). He/she does have its flaws in some of the support convos and does have a lame story promo & I’m not fond of the promotional outfit (thankfully it is fixed since you can reclass them into their other classes, Swordmaster for example). Unit wise, Byleth is one of my best units along with Leonie, Felix, Ashe, Shamir, Dimitri, Catherine, etc. and I really enjoy using them.

Another thing i like about the avatar, are the cutscenes where they don’t hide their faces and appear in first person all the time unlike Robin and Corrin. And I like their dad Jeralt, he’s a chill dude (really wish he was playable tho..)

To put this in my honest side unlike most Byleth fans, I’m one of the few fans that don’t mind f. Byleth’s base design, I think it fits her well and in a sexy way and prefer her a bit more than m. Byleth (tho I like both a bit equally).

Overall, Byleth isn’t for everyone when it comes for an avatar like protagonist so I can understand why those that voted yes. For the others that are looking for a customized avatar and are bashing on the current one, then this game isn’t for you and I rather you guys go play either New Mystery of the Emblem, Awakening, or Fates. For me and the others, Byleth’s a real OG for a silent protagonist and he/she’s here to stay!

User Info: Gladiant

Gladiant
1 month ago#83
I want a talking MC instead. Corrin maybe weird in the plot but her support is on point. Or do the best of the both world like Rune Factory game, make MC both talking and give an option for what he said.
Pokemon Moon - FC: 0190-2774-1631

User Info: xStarLordX

xStarLordX
1 month ago#84
Tanookichris posted...
Alright... well this is gonna be more or less long or short for me...

According to the votes; half of the ones that voted yes may have some valid points and fair criticism on Byleth while the other half are just trolls and haters (mostly Corrin fanboys, Robin fanboys and Kris fanboys) that are just trying to s*** on Byleth just for being a silent protagonist complaining that he/she has no personality when in reality he/she does and there protagonists (like Steve from Minecraft) has zero personality. The rest of the votes that voted deny (myself included), actually have valid points on why Byleth is a good avatar while being aware of his/her flaws.

For me, I find Byleth a really interesting character than Robin (who is highly overpowered and extremely overrated), Corrin (we all know this) and Kris (stealing Marth’s spotlight and other bs). He/she is a really smart protagonist too due to their experience as a mercenary working with his/her dad. I also believe that his/her silent protagonist personality fits him/her really well and I kinda enjoy comparing them to the other silent protagonists (ie: Mario and Link). He/she does have its flaws in some of the support convos and does have a lame story promo & I’m not fond of the promotional outfit (thankfully it is fixed since you can reclass them into their other classes, Swordmaster for example). Unit wise, Byleth is one of my best units along with Leonie, Felix, Ashe, Shamir, Dimitri, Catherine, etc. and I really enjoy using them.

Another thing i like about the avatar, are the cutscenes where they don’t hide their faces and appear in first person all the time unlike Robin and Corrin. And I like their dad Jeralt, he’s a chill dude (really wish he was playable tho..)

To put this in my honest side unlike most Byleth fans, I’m one of the few fans that don’t mind f. Byleth’s base design, I think it fits her well and in a sexy way and prefer her a bit more than m. Byleth (tho I like both a bit equally).

Overall, Byleth isn’t for everyone when it comes for an avatar like protagonist so I can understand why those that voted yes. For the others that are looking for a customized avatar and are bashing on the current one, then this game isn’t for you and I rather you guys go play either New Mystery of the Emblem, Awakening, or Fates. For me and the others, Byleth’s a real OG for a silent protagonist and he/she’s here to stay!
This is your first FE game,right?

User Info: Chaosmark101

Chaosmark101
1 month ago#85
Deny. Byleth is a good avatar, not great but good.

While I admit silent avatars are the least sexy for lack of a better word type of avatar lol. Byleth is definitely a better avatar compared to the last one. Thanks to the dialogue options, interactions possible at the monastery and sorta role playing a professor and teaching your class in this game.

Corrin the last avatar was great gameplay wise with great growths and a customizable appearance and class option etc but besides the 1 pick a side choice in the begining of Fates there just wasn't a lot of room to role play. Lets not even mention his disappointing character which takes you out of the story of fates.

In Awakening, Robin was a pretty generic jack of all trades master of none. But was also very customizable in appearance, classes etc and had a good stake in the plot with their entertaining chemistry and back and forths with Chrome and the Shepherds. Awakening also had some pick and choose moments even though none of them affected anything really.

Three Houses so far feels more similar to that for me. Byleth also feels alot like the silent protagonist Cross from Xenoblade X. Which Cross was just a means to allow player choice as in that game. You're starting a new life on an alien planet and can choose a role of work to do for the human race and are in a specific team that has a leader named Elma for most of the story missions.

Byleth seems to be the way he/she is due to plot circumstances anyways but I ain't done with the game yet so these are just my thoughts from circa chapter 12 on BL path currently.
"Why the hell can't I get that girl out of my mind!?" ~ "Heat", Digital Devil Saga

User Info: VeraMagna

VeraMagna
1 month ago#86
Byleth will be a good avatar when they have dialogue options beyond Dimitri, Edelgard, Claude, yes, and definitely.

Robin and Corrin were a BAD avatar, but at least they don't pretend to be one. They have personality (a bit janky mary sue with no personal motive, but still) even though they're not YOUR personality. Robin and Corrin was never the player. If Byleth were supposed to be us then they should've allowed us to say what WE want.

User Info: Silvorzya

Silvorzya
1 month ago#87
Honestly they're just kind of boring. I like what little emotion, design and character they show more than Corrin...but that's not saying much.

Joker from Persona 5 is a recent example of how you do a silent protagonist right.
General reaction to Bandai Namco's decisions with Zestiria: http://youtu.be/OGp9P6QvMjY

User Info: SmashSSL

SmashSSL
1 month ago#88
brainrotter posted...

Tl;dr they're too defined to be a good self-insert but not defined enough to be a proper protagonist

This. 100%
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. C/D: Byleth isn't a very good Avatar
  • Topic Archived