You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. C/D: Byleth isn't a very good Avatar

User Info: EdeaCreamer

EdeaCreamer
2 days ago#71
The Persona knock-off is a bad, bad sign.

Byleth should've been a full-on protag with a fixed name, fixed gender (female, IMO), and full voice acting. They're neither a good nor a bad Avatar, because they're not an Avatar at all; it's IntSys trying to please as many people as possible, again, you can just see the waffling on this concept throughout the course of the game.
Fifth of cognac, add some triple-sec...

User Info: Binkster

Binkster
2 days ago#72
If Byleth wasn’t an avatar, he would be a great plot device, but that’s the extent of use I can get from his character.

Also, the most self inserting I ever do with avatars is the name, so I don’t really care if they are an avatar most of the time. I think most people have this opinion, but I could be wrong.
"Not to sway your opinion, but... You? Me? Golden Deer? We could be great together." Claude von Reigan (FE:Three Houses)
Official Claude of FETH Board
(edited 2 days ago)

User Info: Sir_Punsalot

Sir_Punsalot
2 days ago#73
As far as avatars are concerned...
I don’t really care for them in most games.
That’s not to say I don’t like games that allow you to create your character.

As far as Byleth is concerned, he’s a s*** avatar but he’s what we got and in all honesty I’m fine with that.
If Pokémon style male/female is how they’re gonna do the “avatar” I’m perfectly fine with that. Although I don’t understand why they decided to go for a silent protagonist. Were they that tight on budget? Or did they really try to emulate how Persona, DQ and the like handled their main characters?
"Y'all are stupid" - Guzman
PS3, ps4: gamersama (s*** user id I know). PsVita:uae_spetsnaz.
(edited 2 days ago)

User Info: A_Field_Lover

A_Field_Lover
2 days ago#74
EdeaCreamer posted...
The Persona knock-off is a bad, bad sign.

Byleth should've been a full-on protag with a fixed name, fixed gender (female, IMO), and full voice acting. They're neither a good nor a bad Avatar, because they're not an Avatar at all; it's IntSys trying to please as many people as possible, again, you can just see the waffling on this concept throughout the course of the game.

>Female

f*** no that design is trash and Edelgard draws Male Byleth no matter if you're a female.
Nerd girl who's passionate, Bandana Dee for Smash!
#1 Assist Trophy, Galeem and FE Echoes Lover! F for Geno, BWD, Steve and Isaac. Hero's in!

User Info: SwiftyDC

SwiftyDC
2 days ago#75
I don't mind the look of both Blyeth's, but the name is just stupid.
Dilated Chemist
All hail Advokaiser, our Guru Champion!
Byleth sucks.

It really is a shame they ditched the customization and the boon/bane system.

User Info: RicewarriorZ

RicewarriorZ
2 days ago#77
After reading a couple of posts, I'm a little confused on what people expect in a Avatar character.

You guys are asking for customization on the Avatar and yet complain because the Avatar doesn't have their own personality. Robin and Corrin, the only thing that's a Avatar about them is that you can change their looks to your liking, otherwise they are their own character with their own speaking lines, morals and beliefs that you the player have very little to no influence with.

I'm under the impression that a Avatar character is supposed to be a representation of you, the player. Thus a silent protagonist, and a blank slate is to be expected since the developers can't predict your actions or choice of words. Whether or not a blank slate or a silent protagonist is interesting as a character is another topic and if that should be the argument here, then the question should be changed to "Do Avatars make good main characters?"

User Info: ssjremuko

ssjremuko
2 days ago#78
Yeah I was very disappointed She wasnt customizable.
Head Recruit of the Cult of Gilgamesh!
Official Maria of the Duodecim Boards

User Info: xStarLordX

xStarLordX
2 days ago#79
JGD_83 posted...
He looks cool and never says anything stupid, completely unlike Corrin. Good enough for me.
Did you forget what TC said?

brainrotter posted...
Oh and I don't consider Corrin an Avatar to begin with so don't bring her up as a counterargument
Man...a lot of you have a huge hateboner to Corrin,even to this day.

User Info: EdeaCreamer

EdeaCreamer
2 days ago#80
Oh, no no, I've always been a proponent of 'I want an Avatar, but I don't want that Avatar to have plot significance.' I just want a fully customizable juggernaut; I really don't need them to participate in the plot in any way other than being my personal blood-drenched war god.

Mark was perfect plot-wise, but then he's not a deployable unit we can customize. Kris could've been this, but nope, he has to basically hijack the plot from Marth and constantly be the center of attention. Robin does the same thing to Chrom, only now the plot's original and is written with them in mind (which is bad). Corrin and Byleth are literal MCs and just -jank-.

What I want from an Avatar is 'Battle Mark.' Utterly irrelevant to the story, not in cutscenes or whatever, but I can make him/her however I want and smash things to bits with them. Maybe they'd just be the fully-fleshed-out MC's bad-ass retainer of few words and many very large, very gored-up sticks.
Fifth of cognac, add some triple-sec...
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. C/D: Byleth isn't a very good Avatar