You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. C/D: Byleth isn't a very good Avatar

User Info: Lakhesis

Lakhesis
6 days ago#51
Avatar- no. Character - depends on tastes I guess. If you're going to call it an Avatar, at least let me customize beyond gender and name. Heck, just give me a few outfit options (and hair color choice) and I would have been happy. I don't expect heavy duty customization. Even the bare minimum would work. But that didn't happen here. I'll be fine with it, just like I'm fine with Persona. But it's not what I prefer

User Info: Fresita

Fresita
6 days ago#52
I voted deny because I didnt comprehend the question at first

But I can confirm he is not a good MU, gameplay wise, I think we already have enough physical-versatile units like Petra, Hilda, Sylvain, Félix, in that case, Byleth was not exactly needed but he shouldnt be wasted now that he is here.

Story wise, I think he was a plot device that can be removed and replaced by many other plot mechanics, I don't really enjoy the fact that he is constantly silent and that his answers are always generic agreeance to whatever the person you're talking to is saying, and by just doing that, he is considered the anchor of the main characters, and I don't see why they should need an anchor in the same place, specially Edelgard, her codepedency to Byleth is creepy and cringeworthy, uncharacterstic of her, having her friends talk about how she was nobody for 5years untill Byleth come back is is perhaps the most cringy and questionable aspect of her character, I wouldve liked better playing each route through the main lord and choosing their plans instead of through Byleth, but we needed someone capable of wielding the sword of the creator I guess
Sorry for bad english , I try my best
(edited 6 days ago)

User Info: _Sanaki_

_Sanaki_
6 days ago#53
Mostly annoyed by the gameplay aspects, character-wise I’m not sure I see much issue. But I’m not very fussed over the avatar’s personality either way.

I do have other Byleth issues, but those are just aesthetic (the bright green doesn’t work well with the dark color scheme, lack of outfit change) mostly.
I kept silent, blaming these antics on your ignorance, but I can no longer tolerate your manners!

User Info: JGD_83

JGD_83
6 days ago#54
He looks cool and never says anything stupid, completely unlike Corrin. Good enough for me.

User Info: HentaiSenpai

HentaiSenpai
5 days ago#55
Japan's approach to self inserts are different from the west.

In japanese games, self inserts are mainly just a vehicle for the player.
Real girls grow old and bitter. Waifus stay beautiful forever.
2D>3D

User Info: ZechtAurion

ZechtAurion
5 days ago#56
D

Because you fail to realize how intricate the dialogue system already is.
PSN: AlujaZeromus | WiiU: Aluja

User Info: Nakedbacon

Nakedbacon
5 days ago#57
Why do we need a customizable appearance again? Every Corrin who wasn’t default Corrin looked ridiculous.
If I can change my name I would. You can find me everywhere else as OrcaWolf.

User Info: Zelrig

Zelrig
5 days ago#58
I picked Deny on the basis that I don't consider Byleth as an avatar, nor do I consiser Corrin or Robin as avatars either. Byleth is just another character whose gender can be chosen and whose decisions can be influenced to some extent but whose choices are limited and have a commonality to reflect said personality. Not unlike Joker from Persona 5, just able to be either gender, or even Rean, whose even more talkative but whose choices you can still influence.

I consider self-made characters like in mmos or likr elder scrolls to be avatar type characters because they have no distinctive personalities and their dialouge choices are more diverse.

User Info: orig4mi

orig4mi
5 days ago#59
I can't believe people deny this.

He is a mute, which doesn't fit for an FE game (You can bring up FE7 but that "main character" is so unimportant that you can even choose to TURN HIM OFF IN THE GAME) His actions aren't his own and he just does what he is told minus choosing the route. He is barely a character in that sense.

Robin is a real, fleshed out character who has an arc, even. His design is better too because he doesn't look like a Bootleg Marth.

Really enjoy Three Houses but the Avatar is barely an Avatar.
Gen V Defense Squad ~ ~ http://i.imgur.com/FjBjwcs.gif
(edited 5 days ago)

User Info: Zelrig

Zelrig
4 days ago#60
orig4mi posted...
I can't believe people deny this.

He is a mute, which doesn't fit for an FE game (You can bring up FE7 but that "main character" is so unimportant that you can even choose to TURN HIM OFF IN THE GAME) His actions aren't his own and he just does what he is told minus choosing the route. He is barely a character in that sense.

Robin is a real, fleshed out character who has an arc, even. His design is better too because he doesn't look like a Bootleg Marth.

Really enjoy Three Houses but the Avatar is barely an Avatar.

The way you describe Robin is what makes them an actual character and not an avatar in my eyes.

A true avatar type character in a video game has no personality except for what the player gives them, that or chose what personality they have (I guess like Mass Effect but even that feels like its pushing the line on being an avatar imo), whose choices are all different from each other do the player can develoo the avatar's personality.

And Byleth for being mostly silent still has a distinct personality via the few vouced lines he has and the way his option "choices" work a lot of the time. Whether his personality has any depth or is any good is a different debate but he doesn't fall into the avatar category in the slightest for me and neither does Robin or Corrin.

If you want to see a real avatar character go play an mmo, Torment Tides of Numemera, Divinity Original Sin, or even Diablo. Hell play freaking DnD lmao.

Das why I pressed deny amd just my take pn things though.
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. C/D: Byleth isn't a very good Avatar