You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. C/D: Byleth isn't a very good Avatar
I like him because he doesn't say much to interfere with the story. But I hope they go back to the Fire Emblem GBA protagonist where they exist but they are not a playable unit and just watch and give commands.

User Info: RedSpiderLily

RedSpiderLily
6 days ago#42
AbyssalCode0088 posted...
RedSpiderLily posted...
And look, this wouldn't be such an issue for me personally if (1.) Female byleth wasn't so ugly and (2.) gender locked classes. (Although the latter isnt related to supports, but an issie gameplay wise.)

I am stuck using the face of a character I dont want to play as (that I can't even customize to my own liking) of a gender I don't want to play as and it's so frustrating.
I'm sorry, do you want a trans Bi-Leif or are you blaming the game for you deciding to pick a male over a female all because of Hero? For a reckless master ability that someone as busted as Bi-Leif doesn't need to help them at all that will also instantly give you a game over if taken out (which makes it an even worse ability)?

I just want to be able to have decent romance options no matter which gender I pick, assuming it's predetermined non-customizable mc looks.

I loved M!Byleth and wanted to play as him first, but I wanted to romance Claude or Dimitri (or literally 99% any of the male cast) and couldn't do so without having to go with Female Byleth, who's design just irks the hell out of me.

If I could customize F!Byleth I'd be less irritated with it but I can't. And when majority of the supports/dialogue are the dead ass same for most characters with Byleth across the board, it feels dumb that there were so few bi options period.

The gender lock classes thing is mainly just that I love the gauntlet weapon and not having access to one of the main classes for it as one gender in principle irks me. It's not a deal breaker buts it's annoying.

But the gender lock classes is a beef I have with the game beyond just Byleth, but it all kind of goes in with the "not fully customizable but not really concrete/cemented either" issue. Also, I miss the books/banes system bad.

User Info: KaikaCannon

KaikaCannon
6 days ago#43
The professor is a classic RPG hero, not really an avatar. Someone you can give a name, like any old FF character, or dragon quest protags.
PSN: BLKMatagi

User Info: Menardii

Menardii
6 days ago#44
NinjaKangaroo posted...
I really wish people would stop calling byleth a "silent protagonist"

They aren't. They have voiced lines all over. For skill level ups, battle quotes etc. They are good, which bothers me to Byleth not being voiced in conversation.

He's still a silent protagonist, seeing as he has no lines in any conversation.
RedSpiderLily posted...
I just want to be able to have decent romance options no matter which gender I pick, assuming it's predetermined non-customizable mc looks.

I loved M!Byleth and wanted to play as him first, but I wanted to romance Claude or Dimitri (or literally 99% any of the male cast) and couldn't do so without having to go with Female Byleth, who's design just irks the hell out of me.
Explains what you mean then. Not into that myself, but looking at how females have like five actual lesbian options and males get one gay option (Alois and Gilbert S ranks aren't what you'd think), I can see the annoyance.

RedSpiderLily posted...
The gender lock classes thing is mainly just that I love the gauntlet weapon and not having access to one of the main classes for it as one gender in principle irks me. It's not a deal breaker buts it's annoying.

But the gender lock classes is a beef I have with the game beyond just Byleth, but it all kind of goes in with the "not fully customizable but not really concrete/cemented either" issue. Also, I miss the books/banes system bad.
Gender locked classes is seriously a stupid call, but at least fast characters, and especially Bi-Leif, can mow people down without said classes with fists. Hero is just whatever, I prefer Swordmaster over it. Axes feel like an accessory with no Axefaire, but hey, here's Swordfaire.

Menardii posted...
He's still a silent protagonist, seeing as he has no lines in any conversation.
Don't take that person seriously. Many people are trolls that fish for responses using this stuff as bait. Only a select few can be this "uninformed".

KaikaCannon posted...
The professor is a classic RPG hero, not really an avatar. Someone you can give a name, like any old FF character, or dragon quest protags.
We don't really care about your personal label. The people that made this game didn't label Bi-Leif as such.
(edited 6 days ago)

User Info: Folt

Folt
6 days ago#46
Also, to expand on the boon/bane idea for Byleth; in addition to increased growths, the boon you pick would also allow you to learn an extra CA or spell on top of the CAs/spells Byleth already learns. Like:

HP Boon: Vengeance (Lance CA, learned at Lance C+ Rank)
Strength Boon: Diamond Axe (Axe CA, learned at Axe C+ Rank)
Magic Boon: Agneas Arrow (Learned at Reason A Rank, moves Ragnarok down to Reason B Rank in terms of learning spells)
Dexterity Boon: Deadeye (Bow CA, learned at Bow C+ Rank)
Speed Boon: Point-Blank Volley (Bow CA, learned at Bow C+ Rank)
Luck Boon: Physic (Learned at Faith B Rank, in-between Recover and Aura)
Defense Boon: Glowing Ember (Lance CA, learned at Lance C+ Rank)
Resistance Boon: Lightning Axe (Axe CA, learned at Axe C+ Rank)
Charm Boon: Thoron (Learned at Reason B Rank)

For the record, I included no Sword or Brawl arts because Byleth can already learn 4 sword and brawl arts naturally.
Good avatar is an oxymoron.

User Info: ViewtifulGene

ViewtifulGene
6 days ago#48
Agreed. You can't change anything about their appearance. The game steers you hard toward the default skillset over anything else. The game even puts hard stopping points on supports you want to expedite. And the dialogue options seldom impact the conversation.
BREAKING THE ROOOOW, BREAKING THE WUUURLD
KOWASE, KIRISAKE TENDAHNISS

User Info: chughes724

chughes724
6 days ago#49
I like Byleth. Deny.
Listen to my story....this may be our last chance.
Folt posted...
Also, to expand on the boon/bane idea for Byleth; in addition to increased growths, the boon you pick would also allow you to learn an extra CA or spell on top of the CAs/spells Byleth already learns. Like:

HP Boon: Vengeance (Lance CA, learned at Lance C+ Rank)
Strength Boon: Diamond Axe (Axe CA, learned at Axe C+ Rank)
Magic Boon: Agneas Arrow (Learned at Reason A Rank, moves Ragnarok down to Reason B Rank in terms of learning spells)
Dexterity Boon: Deadeye (Bow CA, learned at Bow C+ Rank)
Speed Boon: Point-Blank Volley (Bow CA, learned at Bow C+ Rank)
Luck Boon: Physic (Learned at Faith B Rank, in-between Recover and Aura)
Defense Boon: Glowing Ember (Lance CA, learned at Lance C+ Rank)
Resistance Boon: Lightning Axe (Axe CA, learned at Axe C+ Rank)
Charm Boon: Thoron (Learned at Reason B Rank)

For the record, I included no Sword or Brawl arts because Byleth can already learn 4 sword and brawl arts naturally.
Gwt rid of that all and just havw Banes and Boons be the samw as before. That's unneccessary extra crap.

Like Hunter's Volley for speed? Who said speed and archers were a natural fit instead of speed and swords for, you know, one of the fastest classes that makes the most use out of it: Swordmaster.

Just no.
(edited 6 days ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. C/D: Byleth isn't a very good Avatar