You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. C/D: Byleth isn't a very good Avatar

User Info: RedSpiderLily

RedSpiderLily
6 days ago#31
Honestly, i just wish they'd actually commit to one thing or another. I don't mind self-inserts/avatars, but they have to actually BE avatars. Give me actual dialogue choices and let me make solid decisions that define what kind of character Im making.

This linear half-in-half avatar/protagonist s*** is soooooo annoying. And the lack of spoken dialogue was a bad move IMO. In a game where the writing and VA was actually really good this time, it feels like a huge loss.

There were so few differences between f/m byleth in the story and the supports. And despite that, I'm heavily gated to who I want to romance for arbitrary reasons. Majority of the supports are dead ass the same and just needed a few tweaks in the CG and maybe a few pronoun/term shifting to make it appropriate for both. Byleth doesn't even talk so the costs really aren't an issue.

Like for some characters like Sylvain, obviously this wouldn't work. And Im not asking for the whole damn cast. But it feels soooo dumb to be locked by the gender s*** for NO reason, support wise.

And look, this wouldn't be such an issue for me personally if (1.) Female byleth wasn't so ugly and (2.) gender locked classes. (Although the latter isnt related to supports, but an issie gameplay wise.)

I am stuck using the face of a character I dont want to play as (that I can't even customize to my own liking) of a gender I don't want to play as and it's so frustrating.

But if Byleth ACTUALLY was a unique character, I couldve given a good chunk of that as a pass, but theyre as bland as it gets, but not enough where its an actual self-insert. But this s***ty wishy washy midway.

I know people didnt like Corrin and s*** but the writing was actually better this time around. Can we actually have MCs who are characters again?

User Info: SilverClock

SilverClock
6 days ago#32
Lol yea...the dialogue options are pretty pointless...I remember when Dorothea was talking about looking for a man to take care of her. Options were A. OK and B. I don't think so.
And she took B the same way. Saying don't tell me you were actually considering it??
-.- Among the many other times our choices don't matter. Why even give us a choice?? It feels like a slight insult to our intelligence tbh. Not a big deal but like..?? Kinda lame.
Especially annoying when we get two choices (that are basically the same) that you know are going to piss that character off but you can't choose anything else because that's all you have.
3DS FC: 5327-2159-0942
SW FC: 3494-3931-9019
RedSpiderLily posted...
And look, this wouldn't be such an issue for me personally if (1.) Female byleth wasn't so ugly and (2.) gender locked classes. (Although the latter isnt related to supports, but an issie gameplay wise.)

I am stuck using the face of a character I dont want to play as (that I can't even customize to my own liking) of a gender I don't want to play as and it's so frustrating.
I'm sorry, do you want a trans Bi-Leif or are you blaming the game for you deciding to pick a male over a female all because of Hero? For a reckless master ability that someone as busted as Bi-Leif doesn't need to help them at all that will also instantly give you a game over if taken out (which makes it an even worse ability)?
(edited 6 days ago)

User Info: Comyx

Comyx
6 days ago#34
Deny. The background and story elements are defined enough to be the protagonist, even though I am bothered about not talking during supports. I really wonder why they did that considering they bothered voicing him for level up/combat lines.
PC/Switch/PS4/3DS

User Info: BadDecisions

BadDecisions
6 days ago#35
Byleth is a major character that they just didn't bother wiring dialogue for, not a player insert.
He bad.
(edited 6 days ago)

User Info: Fayt23

Fayt23
6 days ago#36
You don't consider Corrin an avatar? That was pretty much the reason why Byleth wasn't even a lord to begin with. They knew it was hard to even relate to him and pretty much why the MC is the only one who can S rank. But oh well...

I pick Deny. I found Byleth more enjoyable then Robin and Corrin. Robin may have customization and even some extent Corrin. That isn't why I was drawn to them. Don't Robin and Corrin have set-in-stone personal history? Spoilers of course but yeah I could have sworn they did.

Classes not being customization I agree with but hard to blame this on Byleth when IS went out of their way to make classes gender specific and other messes.

Making specific choices honestly I played a lot of silent protags in RPGs and the majority of them always have choices where you have to pick the one the game wants you to do. Not sure if that was the case in past FE games but I consider it the norm.
My backlog: http://backloggery.com/divinetrinity
Lick, Lick, Lick: http://i.imgur.com/OpO5T38.gif
Comyx posted...
Deny. The background and story elements are defined enough to be the protagonist
The poll isn't "Byleth isn't a protagonist".

Comyx posted...
even though I am bothered about not talking during supports. I really wonder why they did that considering they bothered voicing him for level up/combat lines.
Yeah, you obviously don't know how avatars work.
(edited 6 days ago)

User Info: Folt

Folt
6 days ago#38
Boon/Bane to affect growth rates. Customizable Spell List for NG+. Then Byleth would be fine.
(message deleted)

User Info: QuasiSeal

QuasiSeal
6 days ago#40
Personally my favorite Avatar. Of course I don’t like self-inserts. That is never how I play games, nor will I ever see myself as anyone in a game. I’ll always be a viewer, watching a story.
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. C/D: Byleth isn't a very good Avatar