You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. C/D: Byleth isn't a very good Avatar
Tbh FE should just drop the avatars altogether, either that or make them 2nd fiddle like Robin in the good first half of awakening, not only do you appease those who feel the need to have their OC in the game but you dont interrupt the plot as much either.
Smash ultimate wishlist: Sora, funky kong echo. Smash dreams come true: Joker, Banjo&Kazooie, Shulk
Nonwanted characters: Geno, Lloyd(alone),Solaire(alone)

User Info: A_Field_Lover

A_Field_Lover
6 days ago#22
CrazyDiamondSP posted...
Tbh FE should just drop the avatars altogether, either that or make them 2nd fiddle like Robin in the good first half of awakening, not only do you appease those who feel the need to have their OC in the game but you dont interrupt the plot as much either.

Gotta agree with this. They pretty much took everything from the avatar system except choosing a gender.

Just make the main characters their own character already.

Echoes is so refreshing man.
Nerd girl who's passionate, Bandana Dee for Smash!
#1 Assist Trophy, Galeem and FE Echoes Lover! F for Geno, BWD, Steve and Isaac. Hero's in!
I wouldn’t hold set personality against Byleth as Robin had one as well. The other stuff doesn’t bother me too much, though picking strengths would be nice.
Okay
A_Field_Lover posted...
I spoil tagged it, you can stop the whining jesus. I said "but alright" and I edited my post.
No one's whining. You can quit acting like you can read people through text.

User Info: Uzuki_Jin

Uzuki_Jin
6 days ago#25
CrazyDiamondSP posted...

This will never happen again sadly, at least it isn't bad as Persona where only the MC is allowed to have romance and meaningful character interactions with the cast.

User Info: BehemothK_18

BehemothK_18
6 days ago#26
In the persona series it infuriates me that you can name the MC.

In 3H it infuriates me that you can rename Byleth.

Physical looks and voices cannot be customized. So why do that with the name? It messes up natural dialogue flow when they have to use words that substitute your character’s chosen name, or straight up don’t say it.

My Byleth is Byleth. I don’t see any reason to name her anything else.

Bad avatar, good predefined character is my personal verdict.
No step on snek

User Info: katella

katella
6 days ago#27
Deny, the closer we get to a real character and further from a convoluted self-insert that requires strong headcannon to fill in the plotholes, the better. Byleth has flaws just like any protagonist, but at least it is not another Corrin or Kris. Robin was acceptable but the writing of Awakening undermined their performance greatly and the supports overall did nothing to make things better either.

FE self-inserts are not even authentically tailored. You can’t customize your upbringing, personality, or beliefs to be further expressed through supports. Instead, we have hybrid self-insert characters that force unwanted backstories with poor excuses for the way that they came to be upon the player. That is not a self-insert, that is a frankensteined character with an unimmersive presence.

Forced personalities lead to further lack of self-insert motives. There are often times where one will not agree with the character’s decisions in the script, leading to more detachment from the supposed self-insert characters.

These are characteristics to be seen in all FE “self-insert” characters that don’t seem to really fit at all in their respective stories. The reason why Byleth succeeds more at where most hybrid self-insert characters fail is precisely because the character is less customizable and is more predefined with their role.

Time and again, IS has proven to only be able to succeed with main characters more with real main characters or in other words, lords, due to the sheer simplicity that comes with navigating such characters through a story.

IS is not ready to handle a true self-insert character, so they should continue toward the direction where the MC is predefined so they can layer said character with a better personality like we’ve seen with the lords of TH.
Official Wife to the Anti-Existence of Video Game Fanservice ~<3

User Info: Sir_Awesome

Sir_Awesome
6 days ago#28
Yeah they were pretty weak as an avatar.

They handled it way better with Robin. I don't really see them as being a sort of character that you're supposed to completely invent a personality for, moreso you're meant to identify with them. Male Robin, at least, has down-to-earth personality with an interest in tactics. Considering that this is an SRPG, that's way easier to identify with than literally an emotionless husk. Even further, in the original JP version, there was an option to replace all of their dialogue with "..."

Characters dumping exposition was handled way better with Robin as well. While amnesia is pretty cliche, it sure beats how Byleth is somehow completely uninformed despite having 20 something years worth of memories.

Robin only really went bad in the last third of the game when they outright stole the spotlight and started concocting huge plans off screen that the audience should have known about.
(edited 6 days ago)
BehemothK_18 posted...
In the persona series it infuriates me that you can name the MC.

In 3H it infuriates me that you can rename Byleth.

Physical looks and voices cannot be customized. So why do that with the name? It messes up natural dialogue flow when they have to use words that substitute your character’s chosen name, or straight up don’t say it.

My Byleth is Byleth. I don’t see any reason to name her anything else.

Exactly how I see it. I name Persona MC's after whatever "canon" name they have (the less girly one for 3 and the manga aka only good one that's not ripped from God Eater for 5). Pointless to let us change their names when their appearances are set. Represent the player? I'm Japanese now? I have light skin? I have blue/gray (5 excluded for a reason) hair? Ok devs.

Then this game came along and copied Persona (specifically 3), literally. You get your gender, name (I went with Robin and Corrin for their games, but for the hell of it this time, I went with another name for my first route and sure won't for the remaining three), and meaningless birthday that just gives you a garbage "gift" (pretty accurate tbh) that you won't even use. Ever. Unless you really plan to make me wrong.

It honestly pisses me off. I've gone on several rants on this board and every single one was just because of this. The game itself is great so far, but there's this one detail that many find unimportant that's pissing me off because it is. Give me an actual character not some half-assed "avatar" that doesn't speak "because they're an avatar" when the past "avatars" had appearances you could change AND SPOKE. I'm unreasonably annoyed right now.

BehemothK_18 posted...
Not without their own lines outside of combat will I ever see them as such.

Bad avatar, bad predefine character. A terrible mix of both. This isn't Ys or Persona, I'm not accepting the MC being silent because that has always been the case for the series. No, this is a series that had "avatars" you could change that also had their own lines (Corrin was awful outside of the end of BR and Robin was perfect).
(edited 6 days ago)

User Info: chaincat22

chaincat22
6 days ago#30
Byleth is a plot device. Which is fine. But it does mean he's a weak protagonist and avatar.
[The World]! Toki Yo Tomare!
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. C/D: Byleth isn't a very good Avatar