The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. C/D: Byleth isn't a very good Avatar

User Info: brainrotter

brainrotter
1 month ago#1
Why couldn't they be more like Robin? - Results (499 votes)
Confirm
46.49% (232 votes)
Deny
53.51% (267 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Let's see:

-Uncustomizable appearance
-Uncustomizable voice
-Set personality
-Set-in-stone personal history
-Base stats and growths tailored to physical classes; Mag cap of 55 means they'll never be as good a magic user as any of the natural mages
-Despite the pretense of having dialogue options, most of the time you'll only get one "option" anyway because the devs want Byleth to say something specific

Tl;dr they're too defined to be a good self-insert but not defined enough to be a proper protagonist

Oh and I don't consider Corrin an Avatar to begin with so don't bring her up as a counterargument
We live as we dream-- alone. -Joseph Conrad
FEH FC: 0523262833 | +10s: L!Hector, Julia, OG!Reinhardt, SF!Nino, Ares

User Info: imthestuntman

imthestuntman
1 month ago#2
Yup, literally the worst parts of defined protagonist, silent protagonist, and an avatar all together. Quite possibly the biggest misstep of the entire game.

I don't really care for female byleth, but I can't stand male byleth. After my first playthrough I gained so much contempt for the character that I can't play them anymore. For new game+ I chose the female option and have skipped so much dialogue in the first half that my opinion hasn't started to sour as much especially since she isn't nearly as offensively generic.
These minor spelling errors were brought to you by an ipad having no real feedback to enable me to know when i mistype and my own laziness.

User Info: Enaikei

Enaikei
1 month ago#3
Of course I would've welcomed more customization options but I still very much like the female version. Just not a big fan of her choice of clothes.

User Info: Hawelo92

Hawelo92
1 month ago#4
I agree. I dunno how important stat caps are for this argument, though, but I do wish you could choose a boon and bane, at least. Either way you're not going to level beyond 50 unless you're soloing with Byleth.

User Info: imthestuntman

imthestuntman
1 month ago#5
Enaikei posted...
Of course I would've welcomed more customization options but I still very much like the female version. Just not a big fan of her choice of clothes.

Agreed but her face doesn't anger me the way light haired male byleths does.
These minor spelling errors were brought to you by an ipad having no real feedback to enable me to know when i mistype and my own laziness.

User Info: Reversal

Reversal
1 month ago#6
I agree. The avatar should be the most customizable unit, and the only things you can change about Byleth is their gender, name, and birthday (and the last one is pretty irrelevant). I mean, they actually removed the boon and bane system, so now he's basically just like any other unit.

brainrotter
1 month ago#7
Why the f*** is Deny catching up

How are people self-inserting into a predefined, untweakable character with a concrete personality and backstory

User Info: Metal Gear Raxis

Metal Gear Raxis
1 month ago#8
Byleth really is one of the worst things about this game, they're such an incredible over-correction from Corrin, yet I suspect Byleth will end up the most forgotten of the three modern era avatars.

And how'd they screw it up so badly when they already got it right with Robin? Seriously, Robin's every desire and talent stem from the player's desire and talent.

Robin cares for their comrades and wants to help Chrom to succeed because the player does: if they don't, they can just stop playing or let the people they don't care about get killed.

Robin's a tactical genius because the player's capable of stringing together a chain of unbroken victories. Robin's two major decisions throughout the story (to help Chrom and the others to win and whether or not to kill Grima) are choices presented to the player, either through more oblique methods (whether or not you continue playing) or more direct ones (a clear dialogue box to decide who kills Grima).
Friend Raynor, I can help no longer. Ima head back to the Void Holiday Inn and get a good night's sleep and hook up with you tomorrow for the next mission.

User Info: superxgaga

superxgaga
1 month ago#9
Also any support with byleth is not a conversation, it's like hearing a 1 sided rant with literally every character in game.

Robin and corrin both has interesting things to say, and byleth is just "........"
psn/steam : Hlpimp

brainrotter
1 month ago#10
...so are any of the Deny voters going to explain themselves?

I probably should've IP-locked the poll, seems like it's being brigaded
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. C/D: Byleth isn't a very good Avatar
  • Topic Archived