• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. Switch has 50/50 male/female player ratio. FE Three Houses needs Female MC

User Info: rrobin

rrobin
1 week ago#11
God I hope the f*** not. Giving Corrin and Robin separate genders were some of the worst decisions IS has ever made, as it made the respective Avatars into even bigger self-inserts. Male Robin should have been the only option and while I prefer female Corrin by a large margin, I would have supported only making a male option.
Official husbando of M!Robin. Sometimes my tiredness may get the best of me.
"IS is like the neckbearded cousin of Nintendo." Heroes ID: 7962740165

User Info: KawaiiTakumi

KawaiiTakumi
1 week ago#12
We already have female avatar and edleglard. 50/50 mc ratio right there
Fire Emblem fan and fudanshi. OTP is ChromXMaleRobin :3
3ds friend code is 2852-7795-4118, Switch friend code is SW-6645-6409-9976, Feh id 3660012766

User Info: kblaze13

kblaze13
1 week ago#13
xenosaga123 posted...
I present a thought that is positive and beneficial to the game and fans.

no, no you aren't.

this is your schtick xeno, you call any game that doesn't have a female MC sexist. You may be trying to present it in a different way but it's still you doing the same exact thing you always do.
Iightningz posted...
I hate Lightning.

User Info: SuperSonicDBZ

SuperSonicDBZ
1 week ago#14
Regardless of whatever angle TC may or may not have...

The last two major games have had a MC which you can control their look and gender.

So doesn't that solve things?

Pretty sure that the protagonist of 3 Houses will follow the same suit. If they don't, I'll be disappointed.

From what I can tell, the choice of gender sells more than it being defined for the player. (Except in certain games, where the story mandates a certain, specific character. And if you have a problem with that, I guess you have a problem with the overall story being told.)
An angry fanbase while loud and upset, is still a fanbase; a content fanbase is a quiet one... and also non-existent. So when fans are at their loudest: listen.

User Info: lolak

lolak
1 week ago#15
I would not be surprised if the ratio is inflated in some way. More guys game than women, it's fact.

User Info: bond007106

bond007106
1 week ago#16
Endgame posted...
.....Which makes their whole move towards pandering to unsavory male audiences as of Awakening all the more questionable. Why are characters like Tharja, Camilla, Nowi, Elise, etc. now at the forefront when the company themselves believe more females are playing the games?

I mean, I know the real reason. (Waifus make more money than husbandos.) But still.....

Actually, women buy far more merchandise than men do, at least in Japan. Although men are more likely to buy expensive single items, whereas women more often buy large numbers of smaller, cheaper items.
And the princes in Fates were used plenty to pander to female audiences, both in the Fates DLC and in Heroes.
Indeed, Xander, Ryoma and Takumi all have more characters in Heroes than all of those you mentioned except Camilla, so I'd hardly say those girls are at the "forefront" (except possibly Camilla).

The series having a larger female fanbase doesn't mean that it won't have characters which pander to men. It just means it will also have characters which pander to women. Double the pandering.
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/kunino-sagiri https://card.psnprofiles.com/2/MakutaTeridax.png
http://myfigurecollection.net/profile/kunino-sagiri

User Info: Endgame

Endgame
1 week ago#17
I would not be surprised if the ratio is inflated in some way. More guys game than women, it's fact.

Most gamers are male in the west.

In Asian territories the distinction of video games being a "guy thing" was never made. (Basically, it dates back to trying to get NES on American retailer shelves by trying to push it as a "toy". And toy stores separate things into boy toys and girl toys. Soooooo.....) Koreans are infamous for taking video games more seriously than the rest of the world and it was said a while back that most Koreans playing kMMOs are female and that cutesy games like MapleStory actually make more money on cosmetic items from female players than males. (When it comes to pay2win however, that's a man's world. Partially because South Korea is pretty similar to Japan in regards to women in the workforce and men get better job opportunities, and thus, more money to spend on gambling for better stats.)

f***, even in the west MapleStory probably makes more cosmetic item sales from girls than men. (But once again, when it comes to hardcore grinding in Reboot or pay2win in other servers..... men.)

It does however seem, that men take video games much more seriously than women even in South Korea, as the esports scene..... pretty much a sausagefest. I think there was only like, two Korean women Starcraft players in official tournaments and one Taiwanese woman (who was also a model, true story) who played SC2 at the competitive level.

Actually, women buy far more merchandise than men do.
And the princes in Fates were used plenty to pander to female audiences, both in the Fates DLC and in Heroes.
Indeed, Xander, Ryoma and Takumi all have more characters in Heroes than all of those you mentioned except Camilla, so I'd hardly say those girls are at the "forefront" (except possibly Camilla).

Actually Leo is getting shafted hard and only has one alt.

.....The reason for it is apparently that the 25th Anniversary book revealed the detail that Camilla was Leo's first crush (Read their support conversations and you can see the signs.) and the fangirls turned on him.

Not sure I buy that women buy more merchandise (or at least not anime/video game merchandise) when Nintendo keeps on focusing on merchandise of female characters. (From the updates on Serenes Forest, it seems Lucina, Elise, and Sakura are the specific characters Nintendo releases the most merchandise in Japan for. Odd, you'd think with how they whore out Camilla in Heroes there would be more for her.....)
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. -Stephen Colbert

User Info: TsunamiFox

TsunamiFox
1 week ago#18
Go away Xeno. Go troll some other board.
3DS FC: 0344-9288-2062, PSN: Blood_Wizard
Currently Playing: Hearthstone (always Hearthstone)

User Info: bond007106

bond007106
1 week ago#19
Endgame posted...
Actually, women buy far more merchandise than men do.

Actually Leo is getting shafted hard and only has one alt.

.....The reason for it is apparently that the 25th Anniversary book revealed the detail that Camilla was Leo's first crush (Read their support conversations and you can see the signs.) and the fangirls turned on him.

Not sure I buy that women buy more merchandise (or at least not anime/video game merchandise) when Nintendo keeps on focusing on merchandise of female characters. (From the updates on Serenes Forest, it seems Lucina, Elise, and Sakura are the specific characters Nintendo releases the most merchandise in Japan for. Odd, you'd think with how they whore out Camilla in Heroes there would be more for her.....)

Men buy more of the expensive single items, like figures, but things like keyrings and other little trinkets are bought far more by women, and make more money overall. It's why they release them in such huge quantities for series which appeal to women (so mainly those with a mostly male cast).

Xander, Takumi and Ryoma all have more or less the same amount of merchandise as Lucina, Elise or Sakura (look at their pages on Myfigurecollection.net). Also, just look at which three female characters are the ones who get most merchandise. They're not the overtly sexy ones, are they? It's because those characters appeal to both male and female customers. Lucina I recall ranked highly among female fans, and I don't doubt the other two do, too. Don't assume only men are buying their stuff just because they are female characters.
And there's not more of Camilla because, as I explained above, it's mostly women who buy the keyrings, straps, bookmarks, etc. She does have a scale figure, though, unlike most of them, which is for the male audience.

Fire Emblem is not the greatest example of this phenomenon in the first place, though, as, like most Nintendo series, it gets precious little merchandise in the first place.
If you want a good example, just look at the Tales series. The games are still played by a majority male audience, but it's the women who buy all the merchandise, and the marketers know it. The great majority of merchandise released is of male characters, and the stuff that is of female characters is almost always of those who rank highly among the female audience (Milla, Sophie, and Rita always seem to get tops scores. Mint, too, I believe. Velvet has been popular recently, too. And Alisha and Edna, to an extent. That may just be because they are recent, though.). Other female characters don't even get a look in.
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/kunino-sagiri https://card.psnprofiles.com/2/MakutaTeridax.png
http://myfigurecollection.net/profile/kunino-sagiri

User Info: iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme
1 week ago#20
I don't care if the MC is male or female, but I want them to be a real pre-set character and not a customizable watered down self-insert mary/gary sue like in Awakening and Fates
Best weapon combo in tf2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oUWPbS4450&feature=channel_video_title
http://www.last.fm/user/iammax
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. Switch has 50/50 male/female player ratio. FE Three Houses needs Female MC
  • Topic Archived