• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
  3. Villager Promotion for Kliff question

User Info: Arthaiin

Arthaiin
5 months ago#1
I'm playing through Echoes to hopefully get it finished before Three Houses comes.

This is my first playthrough so I want some challenge, but not so much that I have to beat my head over each map 5+ times to finish it.

To that end, I will be doing SOME grinding, just not obscene amounts of it.

I'm at the first shrine of Mila in the Thief Den. Here I ground everyone to level 10 and I'm promoting them now.

Faye = Cleric
Gray = Merc
Tobin = Archer

Not sure what to do about Kliff. I'd like a mage, but everyone says mage Kliff is garbage because his low speed won't let him double anything. Right now my Kliff is sitting at 10 SPD as a level 10 Villager. Is that SPD high enough to warrant turning him into a mage or should I do something else?

Do note, I'm not really interested in the Dreadlooping I've read about on this board. I might do it for Gray, just so I can have 1 OP character, but for the most part I don't intend to do that much grinding.
Some of the greatest catastrophe's ever committed by man have been done with the "Best of Intentions."

User Info: Pewpewblaster97

Pewpewblaster97
5 months ago#2
When people say Mage Kliff is bad, they're assuming there's not going to any grinding at all and unit promote immediately.

That would mean Kliff would be stuck at 1 Attack Speed since Class base of Mage is only 4 Speed and the Fire spell weighs 3.

Since yours all ready has 10 Spd, he'd have 7 speed as a Mage. That's enough to double everything in Act 1 barring cavaliers, so go ahead and make him one.
"How!? How do you polish Rust!?"
- Codsworth

Arthaiin
5 months ago#3
Alright, thanks, that's good to know.
Some of the greatest catastrophe's ever committed by man have been done with the "Best of Intentions."

User Info: Mooman

Mooman
5 months ago#4
I always make Kliff a mage and he always pullshid weight, so I wouldn't worry too much
If no one comes back from the future to stop you, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Arthaiin
5 months ago#5
Mooman posted...
I always make Kliff a mage and he always pullshid weight, so I wouldn't worry too much

Ya, I decided to actually grind Kliff to 20 (because it was just him it wasn't so bad) just to see where he ended up.

He ended up with 19 speed somehow... so... that's a thing.

User Info: charcoalswift

charcoalswift
5 months ago#6
Arthaiin posted...
Mooman posted...

Ya, I decided to actually grind Kliff to 20 (because it was just him it wasn't so bad) just to see where he ended up.

He ended up with 19 speed somehow... so... that's a thing.

RNG hex
Do you get to the Cloud District very often? Oh, what am I saying, of course you don't.

User Info: 67chrome

67chrome
5 months ago#7
Arthaiin posted...
Not sure what to do about Kliff

He's the best Mage, Soldier, and Archer you have access to in Alm's route.

Mage helps out a ton short-term as Alm desperatly needs magic damage, but once you get Levin Sword Kliff would probably be better served as an Archer.
He also has mondo-amazing stats for a Knight with his impressive character-driven SPD.

Arthaiin posted...

Well, if you had fun doing that that's cool.

I would like to mention it's optimal to promote units the instant you can 99% of the time in Echoes though.

The way promotion works is it compares a unit's stats to the promotion stat block, and if a unit has less stats then the promoted block they're rasied to it, and if they're higher it results in no stats.

IE: If you promote a villager with 12 DEF into a class set at 10 DEF you get no DEF from promotion, where if you were at 6 DEF you get +4.

Added to this: gaining EXP is based entirely on a unit's listed level, so a level 19 villager will acquire EXP at the same slow rate as a level 19 Harrier. So: not only will any +DEF gains be wasted if they're under the promotion stat block, but you're using EXP less efficiently.

Finally: there's only enough EXP in the core gameplay for hitting what's effectively ~35 level-ups, and the Villager->First Stage-->Second Stage-->Third Stage class trees offer 76 potential level-ups: giving you a lot of room to grind out extra stats in the post game even with promoting units ASAP.
And there's the dread-fighter loop if you want even more levels.

But overall: Promoting everyone in Echoes ASAP is the way to go.

User Info: inulvr61998

inulvr61998
4 months ago#8
I read somewhere to make Faye the cleric, Kilff a cavalier, Tobin a mage, and Gray a mercenary. The only one who is consistent throughout, though, is Faye-- every source I've looked at says to make her a cleric. Other sources have the other three villagers (minus Atlas) as varied classes. So I guess whatever you want? But Ive made Kilff an archer before and he wasn't that great. So try not making him one.
Switch FC: SW-1397-1887-5683

User Info: Pewpewblaster97

Pewpewblaster97
4 months ago#9
inulvr61998 posted...
I've made Kilff an archer before and he wasn't that great. So try not making him one.

An Archer's performance depends on their weapon more than anything. If don't give them a forged bow or a Killer Bow, none of them are going to do that good.

Kliff is actually one of the better archers since his high speed growth means he often won't need a Pegasus Chesse to double other snipers and his 8 base Resistance means he can take 2 Mire hits before going down.
"How!? How do you polish Rust!?"
- Codsworth

User Info: inulvr61998

inulvr61998
4 months ago#10
Pewpewblaster97 posted...
inulvr61998 posted...
I've made Kilff an archer before and he wasn't that great. So try not making him one.

An Archer's performance depends on their weapon more than anything. If don't give them a forged bow or a Killer Bow, none of them are going to do that good.

Kliff is actually one of the better archers since his high speed growth means he often won't need a Pegasus Chesse to double other snipers and his 8 base Resistance means he can take 2 Mire hits before going down.

That's probably why my archer Kliff sucked so much. Didn't have the right type of bow attached to him. xD
Switch FC: SW-1397-1887-5683
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
  3. Villager Promotion for Kliff question
  • Topic Archived