The Faye hate meme has gone on long enough

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
  3. The Faye hate meme has gone on long enough

User Info: glitchunter75

glitchunter75
11 months ago#41
RPGZero posted...
The problem isn't her concept, the problem is that she's poorly written and people very often don't understand the difference.

The concept of someone who is fighting a war for someone else and is obsessed with them can be a great idea for a character. But after that, there's a long chasm between concept and execution. The problem with Faye and honestly, a ton of other characters in FE:A and FE:F is that they don't nail that second part. Good writing is nuanced, single sentences have more meaning, there is a sense of pathos within them, and you can feel a wide range of thoughts in emotions in few words. You can look at writing on a page and tell if their coming from Philip K. Dick or Philip M Nobody.

The problem with Faye is that every line she has sounds utterly simplistic with nothing more than basic written obsession in her words that you can't really read anything into. As a result, she comes off as a one note character whose only trait often feels like her obsession.

I agree with this.

And to address complaints about Gray and Tobin... Yeah, I actually do have issues with Gray's motives, but the rest of his character is so funny that I hardly mind it, and it totally fits in with his laid-back and (relatively) carefree demeanor. And Tobin... Yes, his dialogue seems to put more emphasis on the wanting money part, but he is still doing this for his family. And his competitive streak was evident even before he headed off to war. This is just the next step up.

Nonetheless, my main issue isn't their motives. They're all still kids, and not one of the deuteragonists. Their outlooks don't NEED to be as deep as Alm's. But their characters shouldn't be one note, and that's where Faye falls short.

That said, I don't hate her. Her design's actually nice and I don't find her unbearable. I just wish there was more to her.
Legendary Pokemon: Breaking balls in their sleep since 1996.
Official Shiny Victini of all Pokemon boards.

User Info: Arne83

Arne83
11 months ago#42
Sword_of_Dusk posted...
Arne83 posted...
Oh, I also hate Tharja. More than Faye, actually.

I can probably guess why too. After all, child abuse isn't funny or endearing. The way she treats Noire should make people hate her. I'm still surprised she won the last voting gauntlet in Heroes.

Hit the nail on the head, as they say.
""Maturity" is an illusion." -Endgame
NNID: Arne83

User Info: CrimsonX4

CrimsonX4
11 months ago#43
Iniuria_Talis posted...
Let's try to describe Tharja without mentioning her crush on Robin: A creepy dark mage obsessed with curses, however her curses usually turn out to be a roundabout way of doing good.

Let's try to describe Faye without mentioning her crush on Alm: She's a villager.

I agree with this and to an extent TC.

People love talking s*** about Awakening and Fates' characters but most of them wheren't one dimensional (although some do exist).

Echoes so far feels to carry more unlikable and one dimensional characters. (Understandable to an extent since it's a remake to an NES game). Although that doesn't excuse the fan bases hypocrisy.

I'm not that big on Faye but I do agree with TC that there are worse charactersin Echoes, like Gray.

Arne83
11 months ago#44
CrimsonX4 posted...
I do agree with TC that there are worse charactersin Echoes, like Gray.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEGo41443iI

CrimsonX4
11 months ago#45
Arne83 posted...
Sword_of_Dusk posted...
Arne83 posted...

I can probably guess why too. After all, child abuse isn't funny or endearing. The way she treats Noire should make people hate her. I'm still surprised she won the last voting gauntlet in Heroes.

You can argue that what she did to Noir wasn't even child abuse. It made her stronger because of it.

Arne83
11 months ago#46
CrimsonX4 posted...
Arne83 posted...
Sword_of_Dusk posted...
Arne83 posted...

You can argue that what she did to Noir wasn't even child abuse. It made her stronger because of it.

That's not how abuse works, pal.

CrimsonX4
11 months ago#47
Arne83 posted...
CrimsonX4 posted...
I do agree with TC that there are worse charactersin Echoes, like Gray.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEGo41443iI

That should be my title: heretic lol

It fits me nicely when it comes to FE and to anything Nintendo related that isn't Metroid...

(Plus I've been playing since FE7 so I guess I really am a heretic)

Still funny vid though

CrimsonX4
11 months ago#48
Arne83 posted...
CrimsonX4 posted...
Arne83 posted...
Sword_of_Dusk posted...
Arne83 posted...

I don't see any abuse when it comes to Tharja and Noir.

Although from some of the supports I remember from Noir it seems like Robin might have been abused by Tharja... :/

User Info: yokitaqueen0220

yokitaqueen0220
11 months ago#49
CrimsonX4 posted...
Arne83 posted...
CrimsonX4 posted...
Arne83 posted...
Sword_of_Dusk posted...
Arne83 posted...

I don't see any abuse when it comes to Tharja and Noir.

Although from some of the supports I remember from Noir it seems Robin got abused by Tharja... :/

Yes yes it totally is okay to repeatedly hex someone when they dislike. Having a runny nose for a week is just a minor annoyance and no one should totally not be upset that mom repeatedly gives them one.
Okay

User Info: Liquid_King

Liquid_King
11 months ago#50
Lol at all these people who believe everyone hates Faye just because one person discovered how bad she was, without considering people hate her because they found out by themselves how lame a character she is.

And Silque only brought Alm up in the C support because he's the leader. Were Clive or anyone else leading, she'd bring them up and not Alm, instead.

Silque: "Yes, well, I was hoping we could get to know each other better. There are so few of us women fighting alongside Sir Alm, after all. And there are many things I wish to talk about that aren't for the ears of men."

See how her mention of Alm is only in regards to her referring to the army and how these two are the only women in it? Like I said, were someone else leading, she wouldn't even bring Alm up. She wasn't trying to bait Faye, and it's safe to say she doesn't even know how obsessed she is with Alm.

And this was Faye's reply to her:

""I'd rather spend time near Alm than stand about gossiping. No offense. Anyway... Good luck, I guess!"

If she didn't like Slique, she could've just said she doesn't like socializing with strangers or making new friends, but she didn't, she specifically said she wanted to just be with Alm and nothing more.

Alm is all there is to her.

And I don't like that she, as a new character, was just created solely to revolve around Alm. That's like a waste of a character right there.

Were she in the original, I guess we can't do much about it. But she's not, she's a new character and they made her more one-dimensional than all the old ones. That's why she's unlikable.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C3nQ-NkUoAEJ4yN.jpg
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
  3. The Faye hate meme has gone on long enough

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived