• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
  3. Shadows of Valentia FAQ & Mechanics

User Info: McLahey

McLahey
2 years ago#1
Because any game that's a remake of Gaiden needs one.

(Please don't post until I give the okay~!)

Table of Contents

1) Serenes Forest
2) Does this game have an avatar/S-supports/marriage/children? And how does it compare to Awakening/Fates?
3) What's the difficulty like? Do I need to grind? And what about length?
4) What's new from Gaiden?
5) What class should I make my villagers?
6) What level should I promote my units at?
7) Villager's Fork
8) Promotion
9) Inventory
10) Skills
11) Magic
12) Bows
13) Double Attacking/Attack Speed
14) Is the rock-paper-scissors weapon triangle in?
15) Are there any playable axe users? I picked up an axe but I haven't seen one.
16) Supports
17) Only 1 or 2 conversations?
18) Dungeons
19) Sacred Springs/Statboosters
20) Fatigue
21) Mila's Turnwheel
22) What's money used for?
23) Forging
24) What do I do with rusted equipment?
25) What's [insert random item] for?
26) Is there a way to trade items between my armies?
27) How do the split paths/protagonists work?
28) How do chapters work?
29) World Map/Ambushes
30) How do I promote Alm/Celica?
31) How do I recruit green units/Delthea/Nomah/Zeke? And how do I recruit Kliff/Faye as Celica?
32) Which way should I go as Celica in chapter 3/Alm in chapter 4?
33) I went north in chapter 3 and Palla/Catria/Atlas left my team!
34) Deen and Sonya
35) I'm having trouble.
36) This enemy won't stop summoning monsters!
37) How do I beat Jedah?
38) Those warp panels in chapter 5...
39) How am I supposed to get through those battles with only Alm?
40) Chapter 6

1) Serenes Forest

https://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-echoes-shadows-valentia/

Before I say anything else: this site has most of the technical information you'll need to know about the game (and the entire series, really): things like base stats, growth rates, equipment specs, support and spell lists, sacred springs listings, dungeon maps, etc. There's a decent chance whatever you're looking for can be found there--this FAQ is to cover things not covered there, and to streamline some things that are.

2) Does this game have an avatar/S-supports/marriage/children? And how does it compare to Awakening/Fates?

None of that, for better or for worse. Some characters get married in their endings, but you have no control over that outside of killing off their spouse in Classic mode.

As for how it compares to Awakening and Fates, it's quite the departure. It has some things in common with one or both of them (like grinding and the world map), but generally it's the odd duck of the 3DS games, so don't expect Awakening 3.0/Fates 2.0. (That's not to say it isn't enjoyable for what it is!)

3) What's the difficulty like? Do I need to grind? And what about length?

It depends on how well you know the game. Your first run can be rather challenging, but once you learn what the best weapons/equipment/units/promotions are, and get a handle on the new mechanics like skills and Mila's Turnwheel, it's one of the easier games in the series. And of course, there's always DLC and grinding to bail you out if things get rough. But no, grinding and DLC (even the free DLC) are not at all necessary to beat the game--if people tell you grinding is mandatory, even on Hard/Classic, don't listen to them. That being said, if you feel like you need to grind, there's no shame in that. Do whatever's the most fun for you.

As for length, an average player would probably take around 30-45 hours to complete the game (excluding DLC), but that's just my guess. Some will take longer, and some will certainly beat it faster. You probably won't get hundreds of hours out of it like some did with Awakening, though.
"It's raining again."

McLahey
2 years ago#2
4) What's new from Gaiden?

Supports, base conversations, memory fragments, skills, forging, Mila's Turnwheel, and fatigue are all brand new. There's tons of new weapons, equipment, and items. Towns are bigger and have more to do. Dungeon crawling has been revamped. The story has been expanded and fleshed out and several important NPC's have been added. Two new playable characters have also been added, 1 in each route. There's an all-new postgame dungeon and DLC. The game has been upgraded with gorgeous artwork and visuals and one of the best FE soundtracks to date. Many characters and several classes have been tweaked and rebalanced, and some things have been buffed or nerfed.

5) What class should I make my Villagers?

Alm's Villagers are all solid units, so you can make them any class you like and they'll turn out fine. Their implied canon (and arguably best) classes, though, are Mercenary!Gray, Archer!Tobin, and Mage!Kliff. The only strong recommendation is Cleric!Faye--she gets Physic and Rescue early on, two invaluable skills, and will be Alm's only other healer besides Silque for some time. Barring that, most people say Pegasus Knight is her second best class. I also personally recommend ensuring you make one of the boys an Archer, as they're very useful for dealing with mages and fellow archers later on. Some other good options include Archer!Gray, Mage!Tobin, Mercenary!Tobin, Archer!Kliff, and Mercenary!Kliff.

Celica's only Villager (unless she recruits Kliff or Faye, see #31), Atlas, is most recommended as a Mercenary or an Archer.

6) What level should I promote my units at?

I recommend promoting Villagers at level 10. It's not a necessity, but definitely worth the wait. (Cleric!Faye is somewhat of an exception, you're safe promoting her at your earliest convenience.) Most other classes are fine promoting ASAP if you don't like to wait and/or grind.

7) Villager's Fork

The Villager's Fork is a DLC item that reclasses any character (excluding Alm and Celica) to a level 1 Villager. All their stats remain intact (except for Movement, which is set to 4), so they'll still be just as strong as before, but gain EXP at a faster rate and have more levels to raise their stats. It's a very powerful tool, and is best used on someone with good growths and/or high stats, or simply your favorite character. It can make just about anyone a powerhouse so use it how you like, but for those interested in optimizing, some of the better choices are Lukas/Forsyth/Valbar/Soldier!Villagers (once they reach Knight or Baron), Mathilda, Zeke, Est, and Conrad. Of those, Barons reclassed to Mercenaries are probably the strongest choice (more specifically, Lukas or one of Alm's Villagers promoted to Soldier).

8) Promotion

Promotions are done at a Mila statue once units have reached a certain level (you'll receive a notification and a statue icon will appear near their name--see the "Class Change" section on Serenes for specific levels). When promoting, any stats that are not at or above the base stat of the class they're promoting to will be raised to the base stat of the class they're promoting to (with the exception of Res).

For example, say Unit A has 16 Spd and Unit B has 19 Spd, and both are promoting to Dread Fighter, which has a base Spd of 18. Unit A will receive +2 to their Spd, while Unit B will receive no boost and their Spd will remain at 19.

(Note: If a unit wouldn't receive any boosts, they'll receive +1 HP.)

Dread Fighters (the final promotion of Mercenaries) have a unique perk in that upon reaching level 10, they can promote to Villager and repeat the cycle for more levels/stats or to go down an alternate class path. But, take heed that they’re not likely to reach the required level to promote to Villager until very late in the game (and often don’t reach it at all before Endgame).
"It's raining again."

McLahey
2 years ago#3
9) Inventory

Characters have 1 inventory slot for a weapon or item; that's it. Characters fight with held weapons, gain bonuses from equipment, and can eat provisions. Standing adjacent to Alm/Celica allows them to access the convoy and trade items/eat. Characters use generic weapons when unequipped.

10) Skills

Firstly, battle skills. These have two main differences from skills in other games. One, with a few exceptions, none of them can double attack (you can still be doubled when using them). Two, they are manually activated on the player's turn; most cost a small amount of HP. (This all unfortunately means a lot of them are simply unimpressive.)

As for learning them, most skills are tied to weapons/shields. (Additionally, all rings automatically have the Renewal skill (restores 5 HP at the start of each turn), and one ring can learn a skill.) To learn the skills associated with them, simply equip them and do battle enough times (kills are not required); there's a very thin bar under the gear that tracks how far along you are (note that the bar is until the gear is maxed, not until the next skill). If you unequip the gear, you'll lose the skill until you re-equip the gear or another piece of gear with the same skill (skills are "saved for later" (so if, for example, Alm learns Dragon Conquest on the Royal Sword, the Falchion will come with that skill already learned)). Skills are tied to the individual, so if Gray learns Steel Blow on an Iron Sword and hands it to Tobin, Tobin'll still have to learn it himself.

Aside from equipment skills, some skills are tied to certain classes (these are learned automatically when promoting to the class). If you change classes, you'll lose those skills until you're that class again.

11) Magic

Magic is cast in this game by depleting the caster's HP. It's not as bad as it sounds--most spells only cost a couple points of HP, and there's tons of equipment that restores 5 HP at the start of each turn (as well as promoted Clerics' passive skill which does the same for adjacent allies). Magic costs HP even when it's a counterattack and costs HP for each attack in a double attack, so leaving characters in range of too many enemies can be risky. When attacked on the enemy phase, though, characters default to Fire (or swords), so you don't have to worry about countering with high-cost spells regardless of what you used last. Also, this works against the enemy as well!

Nosferatu, exclusive to Clerics/Saints, is the exception to this, as it costs no HP to cast but instead restores HP equal to damage dealt (beware its low hit rate though).

Two other important properties of magic: spells have fixed hit rates (they can be boosted by supports and a skill innate to Sages), and magic ignores terrain boosts. Considering that terrain that boosts Avoid by 20, 40, and more is quite common, magic's ability to bypass this and hit evasive targets is quite useful (or dangerous, in the hands of the enemy).

12) Bows

All bows have 1-3 range except the default bow when unequipped/Shining Bows (1-2) and Longbows (2-4). Archers also automatically get a skill that increases their range by +1 that's upgraded to one that increases it by +2 when they promote to Sniper/Bow Knight, meaning their bows have 1-5 range. (Incidentally, this means they're great for picking off mages.) They also get some really useful weapon skills, like the ones learned by Iron Bows, Steel Bows, Silver Bows, Longbows, and Killer Bows (the best skill in the game). Have fun countering everything, but beware that bows are heavy and archers are slow, and that enemies get this advantage as well. Also keep in mind that the default bow when unequipped doesn't do bonus damage to fliers.
"It's raining again."

McLahey
2 years ago#4
13) Double Attacking/Attack Speed

This gets its own section because Echoes has an uncommon formula where a unit will double any unit as long as they have 1 or more higher Spd. Echoes also features weapon/equipment weight, which is applied as a flat penalty to the unit's Spd. Naturally, this means that every point counts. It also means you need to be wary of what equipment and spells you use, as some of them are rather heavy and will lead to you not doubling or getting doubled a lot.

Also, while we're on the topic of formulas: Lck affects Crit and magic avoid in this game, but not hit or physical avoid.

14) Is the rock-paper-scissors weapon triangle in?

Nope, neither is the magic triangle. Have fun tanking lances with your sword users.

15) Are there any playable axe users? I picked up an axe but I haven't seen one.

Nope. The axes are given to NPC's for sidequests or sold, there aren't any playable axe users...yet.

16) Supports

Supportable units within 3 spaces of each other receive bonuses to any combination of Hit, Avoid, Crit, and Crit Evade (you can stack as many of these as you like, as there's no limit to how many support conversations you can unlock in a single run (meaning characters can have multiple A-supports)). Certain pairs of units within 2 spaces of each other will gain support points after battles, denoted by a pink glow. After gaining enough, they can have a conversation and the bonuses they give and receive improve. Many support conversations require you to have reached a certain chapter. Keep in mind that unlike previous games, most characters only get 1 or 2 support conversation chains (C, B, A), although they usually have more conversation-less supports that provide smaller boosts.

17) Only 1 or 2 conversations?

Characters also get base conversations (which are essentially monologues delivered to Alm/Celica in safe areas), and a few characters have 3 or more conversations. It's not much, but at least they're all fully-voiced!

18) Dungeons

Fully-3D dungeon crawling, battles initiated by bumping into or attacking enemies, Zelda-like breakables pots/crates and chests, that's the gist of it. Dungeons typically have a Mila shrine at the end where you can do your promoting and whatnot, and beyond that there's often Sacred Springs (see below). If you ambush enemies, they start with a small portion of their health missing and you start closer. If they ambush you, they get a turn in, which is usually just spent walking closer to you. Dungeons can be gone through as many times as you like for infinite grinding; although they're also where fatigue comes in (also see below).

About the Escape feature in the menu: ordering Alm/Celica to escape the dungeon sends the entire party out. Do this if you find yourself in danger. But in addition to this, you can order individual members to escape. If you wanna focus on grinding a few specific characters or you're worried someone's gonna die, have them escape.

Also, you can go through dungeons as many times as you want, there's no limit. Happy grinding.
"It's raining again."

McLahey
2 years ago#5
19) Sacred Springs/Statboosters

Statboosting is done in one of two ways: through Sacred Springs statues (mostly located in dungeons) or through more conventional statboosters that appear as provisions (there's no Res statbooster, though). Sacred Springs are most commonly found in dungeons behind Mila shrines. Many statues come in pairs that share their uses and all statues boost a given stat by 1 point; additionally, there are statues that will grant 100 EXP to any character or revive a fallen character in Classic mode (note that characters can no longer be transferred between armies this way). For example, let's say you have an HP and a Spd statue side by side. Combined, they have 3 uses (the typical amount of uses for statues). This means you could boost Alm's HP by 2 and Lukas' Spd by 1, boost 3 characters' Spd by 1 each, etc. It's up to you whether you want to use them right away or save them for a rainy day, and whether you want to spread out their boosts or confine them to a few juggernauts and snowball.

As for statboosters, these are found periodically throughout the game and boost a given stat by 2 in addition to fully restoring fatigue. There are also Boots, which permanently raise a unit's Movement by 1; excluding DLC, the only pair is found within the chapter 6 dungeon.

20) Fatigue

Fatigue only affects you in dungeons, and only after the battle is finished. When a character becomes fatigued, their max HP is lowered (all other stats remain the same). Restore fatigue by eating provisions, or by offering a single provision to a Mila statue to completely restore the party's fatigue. Provisions are plentiful, so don't worry about fatigue, it's only a minor inconvenience.

21) Mila's Turnwheel

By consuming a single use of Mila's Turnwheel (obtained after the first dungeon on Alm's route, Celica starts with it), you can rewind a battle as far back as you'd like, even rewinding specific actions rather than entire turns. (The RNG is re-rolled when you do this, so attacks that missed may hit this time! Note that you can't manipulate level-ups this way though, but you can avoid leveling the character if you know their next level will be bad.) All uses (yes, all) of the Mila's Turnwheel are fully restored after every battle on the world map, so use it to your heart's content. In dungeons, all uses can also be fully restored by offering up a single alcoholic provision to a Mila statue (it's best to use Half-Empty Ales or Ales for this, as they have the least value), or simply exiting and re-entering. At first, the max uses of Mila's Turnwheel is 3, but this can be upgraded to up to 12 by collecting Small Gears. It sounds a bit confusing, but once you use it you'll understand.

22) What's money used for?

Forging, there are no shops. It's rather scarce early on, but you start to get more soon, and alcohol is a good source of silver. Additionally, once the option is unlocked, 500 silver can be exchanged for 1 gold, and 1 gold for 100 silver.

23) Forging

Forging can be done at a blacksmith in villages (the earliest is in chapter 3) and boosts a weapon's stats as always, but there're some changes. First, the fees you see are cumulative (e.g. if you need 30 silver to upgrade a weapon to 1*, 50 to 2*, and 70 to 3*, the total cost is 70, not 150, even if you upgrade it 1 star at a time instead of going straight for the highest upgrade). Second, you don't choose the stats raised, they're set bonuses. Third, and most importantly, most weapons can be forged into new weapons for a price. This often requires them to be upgraded to at least 1*--you'll see an option to forge it into ??? once it's ready. Among other things, Iron can be forged into Steel, and Steel into Silver. Many strong weapons are obtained this way, so consult the "Transform" tab in the "Forging" section on Serenes or save your game and experiment!
"It's raining again."

McLahey
2 years ago#6
24) What do I do with rusted equipment?

Forge it into something new for a small fee. They sometimes turn into very strong equipment (although the outcome is fixed, so no resetting for better equipment), so try forging them whenever you're at the blacksmith.

25) What's [insert random item] for?

You're probably supposed to give it to an NPC or sell it. Check the "Sub-quests" page on Serenes.

26) Is there a way to trade items between my armies?

Yes, although it's limited. You can speak to merchants in towns to send one (1) item to the opposite army (it's automatically added to their convoy), after which the merchant disappears. They don't reappear after this, so think carefully about what items you want to trade.

27) How do the split paths/protagonists work?

You control Alm and his army for chapter 1, then Celica and her army for chapter 2. From chapter 3 onwards, you control both armies simultaneously and can progress each route at your own pace until the end of the chapter.

28) How do chapters work?

Rather than most FE's which divide individual battles into chapters, Echoes divides the game into 5 chapters (plus a postgame chapter) which contain any number of battles.

Be warned that the game starts out easy in chapters 1 and 2 and gets progressively harder as it goes on unlike most FE's.

29) World Map/Ambushes

Players control Alm and Celica and move them across the map as in Sacred Stones/Awakening. Moving toward a space occupied by an enemy initiates combat, at which point you're allowed to prep and exit back to the world map if you like. Be very careful about ambushes; enemies also move while you do, and if one moves onto the space you're on, or if you move to a space and an enemy moves onto it at the same time, you'll get ambushed, in which case you don't get to prep and the enemy acts first, which can very easily lead to your units dying (seriously). Keep track of enemies advancing toward your other lord as you move Alm/Celica around the map (enemies on both routes move when you move a lord). If an enemy is 2 spaces away, save before progressing, or they might move at the same time and ambush you. You may have to select the "Wait" command from the menu or walk around to manipulate enemy positioning to avoid ambushes. Also, be warned that if 2 enemy sprites are on a location at the same time, you'll have to fight both armies when you go into battle; it may be wise to "Wait" or walk around until the armies split up.

30) How do I promote Alm/Celica?

Celica automatically promotes at the end of chapter 3. Alm can be promoted anytime at a Mila statue once you reach a certain point as Celica in chapter 4 (it'll be clear when it happens).

31) How do I recruit green units/Delthea/Nomah/Zeke? And how do I recruit Kliff/Faye as Celica?

Rather than talking to them, make sure green units survive the battle; afterward, find them and talk to them. For Delthea, if you do enough damage to her, she should Warp away to a healing tile, then defeat the boss as normal and talk to her after the battle. You can find Nomah by going into the basement of the area you just came from as Celica at the beginning of chapter 4. To recruit Zeke, you must already have recruited Tatiana (see below). To recruit Kliff and/or Faye as Celica, simply don't recruit them as Alm, and then travel to their village at the end of chapter 2. (Kliff actually makes a fantastic Archer on Celica's route, if you don't mind playing catch-up.) If you're confused about anything, check the "Recruitment" page on Serenes.
"It's raining again."

McLahey
2 years ago#7
32) Which way should I go as Celica in chapter 3/Alm in chapter 4?

East both times. In Celica's case, you can go to the shrine up north first if you'd like. For Alm, going east first is necessary because that's where you'll recruit Tatiana (see above).

33) I went north in chapter 3 and Palla/Catria/Atlas left my team!

They can be re-recruited immediately by speaking to them in the places you recruited them. You can then go north and they won't leave again, but I don't advise progressing past the Dragon Shrine.

34) Deen and Sonya

Whoever you fight cannot be recruited. They're both good units, so choose whichever you'd like. Keep in mind, though, that for Deen you'll receive his Brave Sword whether you fight him or not, and for Sonya she's a Mage (not a Witch) when recruited and doesn't learn Warp until later, and it's significantly less useful from how she uses it as an enemy.

35) I'm having trouble.

Starting from turn 3 you can retreat from battles. This applies even to story battles. Never forgetti. Also, enemies are drawn to Invoke soldiers like moths to a flame due to their low stats. They're the answer to many of your problems. The answer to the rest of your problems is a Killer Bow. (Forged from a Silver Bow at 1*, which can be forged from a Steel Bow at 1*, which can in turn be forged from an Iron Bow at 1*. You can get one as early as Alm's first visit to a blacksmith and then trade it between the two armies. (It only costs 115 silver to forge from a Silver Bow, 230 from a Steel Bow, and 290 from an Iron Bow.))

36) This enemy won't stop summoning monsters!

Welcome to Gaiden. It's never going to stop. Ever. Kill the summoner as fast as you can or have fun grinding. (Killer Bows are super useful for killing summoners, by the way. Hint hint.)

37) How do I beat Jedah?

He can be damaged every 4th attack (meaning the first 3 will be negated (it doesn't matter if they're double attacks or not)). Snipe at him with archers and mages with Magic Rings (trade it between them!) and then hit him with your strongest attacks. Your best bet is to pray Celica crits with Ragnarok. (Handing her an Angel Ring will boost her crit rate, but handing her a Magic Ring will allow her to safely attack from a distance.) Alternatively, if you don't want to fight him, he'll warp away at the start of turn 6 and take all the eyeball monsters with him.

In your second encounter, just follow the same strategy, but beware that he can counterattack regardless of range now. He's even easier this time though, as Celica can 1-shot him with Excalibur if her Atk is high enough (don't forget your Grimoire!).

38) Those warp panels in chapter 5...

Choose the bottom left at the first set for a treasure, then make your way back and choose the top right to get to your destination. Choose the top right again at the second set to get to your next destination. If you find a lone warp panel, ignore it.

39) How am I supposed to get through those battles with only Alm?

The Blessed Bow (and Blessed Shield if you picked it up) works wonders. Take advantage of the bonus damage against terrors, Renewal effect, and the terrain. Don't be afraid to eat provisions. Remember that Alm has convoy access and can eat and switch out his gear as needed for offensive/defensive strategies.
"It's raining again."

McLahey
2 years ago#8
40) Chapter 6

(NOTE: This section is gonna have some slight spoilers.)

Chapter 6 is the "postgame" taking place after chapter 5. You have full control of both Alm and Celica's armies and can freely roam the map. There's a new menu command called "Switch" which allows you to switch between Alm and Celica as the main lord. (The main lord is the only one required to be brought into battle, although either lord dying (even in Casual mode) will result in a game over. This also switches the prep and map songs.)

Chapter 6 entails you traveling to a continent to the east via a new sea route. There are several challenging battles along the way (including one with reinforcements), so be well-prepared. Once you've made your way east, a town and a dungeon await you. A 10-floor dungeon. With no save points or Mila shrines. And very difficult enemies in the lower levels and a superboss on the last level. Spooky stuff. I highly recommend going through once and collecting all the treasures, then Escaping the dungeon and rushing to the bottom as quickly as you can, avoiding all encounters. This is because there's a decent chance you'll die fighting the superboss and have to redo the entire dungeon (remember, no save points). It can be pretty difficult, so don't be too confident. (If you want an easy-win strategy: promote 2 of your Dread Fighters to Villagers, then Bow Knights, then forge them Killer Bows and learn its skill. Warp them to the boss and kill it in 1 turn.)

[Reserved]

And that should be everything! If you noticed any errors (including unlocalized terms) or think this could be improved by adding new sections or clarifying any existing ones, please let me know~ (By the way, I don't know much about the DLC or amiibos, so if anyone wants to offer some insight, feel free.)

(You can now post, by the way.)
"It's raining again."

User Info: skier8390

skier8390
2 years ago#9
Great! Sticky requested.
Stop, don't click in there this is my private square...

User Info: Executor15

Executor15
2 years ago#10
So how long were you making this little project?
3DS FC: 4742-7681-7278
"All religious people are animals." out of context quote from me
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
  3. Shadows of Valentia FAQ & Mechanics
  • Post New Message