You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: AlexLoeher

AlexLoeher
5 months ago#1
Anyone else played the Four Souls card game? What did you think of it and how does it compare to other board or card games you might have played?

I really want to enjoy it but my friends and I have come to the consensus that the game just ends up not being fun, does end up frustrating, and has caused more arguments and ill will than any other board game we play.

To its credit, Four Souls faithfully recreates the spirit of the video game by letting a player cascade straight to victory off the strength of one or two broken items, as well as the experience of never having a chance when you get dicked down early. Unfortunately, these traits don't translate well into a multiplayer game, where more than one person is trying to have fun.

At any moment, one player could be b****ing about not having anything, only to get one or two good things and cascade straight to the top. Games are usually never close. Once someone gets their first soul, that player will usually be the one to finish the game. Nobody else will usually ever get 2 or even 1 soul.

It's a shame because the art is great, the treasures and loot feel fun to play and the MTG elements incorporate a lot of strategy. It's just that the game is so imbalanced that usually only one player per game is having any fun and that doesn't make for a great board game night, at least in our experience.
Check out my blog where I dissect all kinds of games through a historical and contextual lens.
theghostofgamehistory.wordpress.com
(edited 5 months ago)

User Info: RealityCheckBro

RealityCheckBro
5 months ago#2
Team up and f*** over who ever gets the broken stuff. That is how we play it.

Still had fun even when I lose.

AlexLoeher
5 months ago#3
You have to have the tools to team up against someone though, which means you have to have something broken yourself. Even if you succeed, someone will become the new target and possibly even more broken than before.

Had a game where two people teamed up to stop a Bumbo only for the next turn, one of the players stole the Bumbo and now there's no items left to stop thinking second player with Bumbo
Check out my blog where I dissect all kinds of games through a historical and contextual lens.

User Info: the_NGW

the_NGW
5 months ago#4
Backed the $75 tier.

Have only been able to play a couple of times, but really enjoyed it. Looking forward to this year's expansion.

My main issue is how many rules questions you need to look up online.
GP Vs 2016: Second Place Winner
PSN: ourtheNGW | Nintendo Switch: SW-1891-6374-1416 Official R.O.B. of the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate board
(edited 5 months ago)

AlexLoeher
5 months ago#5
the_NGW posted...
Backed the $75 tier.

Have only been able to play a couple of times, but really enjoyed it. Looking forward to this year's expansion.

My main issue is how many rules questions you need to look up online.

Yes it adopts a lot of elements from MTG, which means a lot of obscure interactions. Unfortunately, not quite the dearth of information available to solve ruling questions like with MTG. The rulebook could stand to be a little more wordy.

I think the general feeling I'm getting is that the more games you play, where players can become savvy of what's good and not, the less fun it becomes.