• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Puyo Puyo Tetris
  3. Is it me, or can high-level Tetris players speedblitz high-level Puyo players?

User Info: ToiletDuck64

ToiletDuck64
1 year ago#1
From what I've seen, Tetris lines can be cleared much faster than the amount of time it takes Puyo Puyo chains to pop, so much so that a sufficiently skilled Tetris player can send a lethal amount of garbage before any Puyo player can do anything about it.

Am I correct?
https://www.youtube.com/user/ToiletDuck64
Watch this space...

User Info: Life Sympathy

Life Sympathy
1 year ago#2
This is the general trend as agreed upon by high ranked individuals but there's a few factors that go into it.

The first thing to note that the trend you described does not apply to all skill levels. At low levels of skill, Puyo players will feel extremely overpowered and you can confirm this feeling by picking puyo yourself and doing small chains without any general knowledge (result ranging to a very close battle or easy win). This is a source of extreme frustration to Tetris mains trying to climb up the ranks or have a good time online.

As you climb up to to medium skill levels, you'll find the power swinging back and forth in an extremely volatile way. This level you'll see a lot of resentment towards the other type of game. Tetris players will continue to experience frustration with an unstable win rate against Puyo players. Puyo players will express frustration in being forced to build in a vastly different way than they would against other Puyo players and will note just how much of a nuisance that nuisance garbage really is.

Up to this point in skill spectrum, the Puyo side is generally see as slightly favorable. This swings in favor of the Tetris side at extremely high levels. This is marked by one single factor to which you pointed out: Speed.

Extremely fast Tetris players will continue to place an extreme amount of pressure on extremely fast Puyo players. That isn't to say that Puyo players will be a push over by any means. Very highly skilled Puyo players will know how to build proper counter builds and be able to generate chains regardless of garbage on their boards which can offset and counter Tetris players with very little needed.

Ultimately I believe there are two main things that give the edge to Tetris. It's up to the player to know how to use the knowledge properly (and even then it's only slight advantage):

1. Color RNG: Tetris players have the luxury of 7-bag RNG (meaning you get randomized permutations of the 7 pieces rather than fully random order). Puyo's RNG is fully random and there are many games where Puyo players have lost due to color droughts.

2. Stalling Techniques: Stalling refers to dragging the game out by holding out on locking your current piece. Tetris has the superior rule set for stalling out due to the hold piece mechanic. Puyo only gains the luxury of lock delay here. This means that when it comes to a standoff, Puyo players will often be forced to make the first move (which Tetris players will find favorable as offsetting and countering are more desirable in a lot of situations).
We're surrounding you. We see you, but you probably don't see us. And if you see us, we're not letting on that we see you.

Life Sympathy
1 year ago#3
Should mention that margin time is a major factor in Puyo vs Tetris matches as well. Margin time is a Puyo rule that states that every 96 seconds, the amount of lines or chains needed to send the same amount of garbage decreases. After 96 each seconds, a Tetris, TSD, TST, combos, etc will begin to send more lines to your opponent while your opponent's chaining power is multiplied.

During the initial 96 seconds: Slight advantage to Tetris
During the 2nd 96 seconds: Slight advantage to Puyo
During the 3rd 96 seconds: Slight advantage to Tetris
During the 4th 96 seconds and onward: This is essentially sudden death where a single mistake from either player will almost always cost the match.

A lot of strategy Puyo players will use is to survive long enoug to reach that 2nd 96 second time period and then attempt to win outright.
We're surrounding you. We see you, but you probably don't see us. And if you see us, we're not letting on that we see you.

User Info: acoustiphile

acoustiphile
11 months ago#4
This is incredibly useful information, thanks. I've been thinking about picking the game up recently and I was stalling, as a Tetris player. I think you may have actually pushed me towards a buy in... How active is the online community?
3DS FC: 0920-0275-3610
Add me for Culdcept battles, and pm me your fc if you do.

Life Sympathy
11 months ago#5
the PPT on the PC version is fairly active although the matchmaking is a bit broken in that it prefers fast matching over ranks. It leads into some really strange matchups of new players to players with extremely high rank. There are discord servers for the Tetris (HardDrop) and the Puyo Puyo (Puyo Nexus) sides that you can ask for matches there.

User Info: es289408

es289408
10 months ago#6
Hey I'm thinkin about gettin this game for my mom, she loves Tetris and Dr. Mario, will she like this
I'd done took to drinkin' and whorin' till hell wouldn't have me.

Life Sympathy
10 months ago#7
It has two puzzle clients in one so I don't see why not. The only issue I could see is if she comes from NES Tetris or GameBoy Tetris which has a completely different feel than any modern guideline Tetris game. Whether she likes this or not I wouldn't be able to tell. It makes the game easy to play forever on the Tetris side though.

You can view what the guideline rules are here and compare and contrast to the old Tetris games
https://harddrop.com/wiki/Tetris_Guideline

User Info: com_B

com_B
10 months ago#8
acoustiphile posted...
How active is the online community?

AFAIK, the Switch version has the most players, followed by the PC version, followed by the PS4 version.
Emulation: Destroying Today, Preserving the Remnants Tommorow!(TM)
If the Xbox One is compatible with the Xbox 360, then the Wii U is compatible with the NES.

User Info: es289408

es289408
10 months ago#9
Ok thanks a lot I appreciate it. She used to play tetris party on her wii. She got a new t.v. but every time we hooked it up for her, the Wii was in black and white. I couldn't figure out what to do. So, I bought her a switch...
I'd done took to drinkin' and whorin' till hell wouldn't have me.

User Info: freakcan

freakcan
10 months ago#10
com_B posted...
acoustiphile posted...
How active is the online community?

AFAIK, the Switch version has the most players, followed by the PC version, followed by the PS4 version.

I play on ps4. I see mostly JP players and very few NA/US/CA players.
Currently playing: Disgaea 4
On queue: Atelier Totori, Dark Souls, Dead Rising 2: Off the Record, Tales of Graces
  1. Boards
  2. Puyo Puyo Tetris
  3. Is it me, or can high-level Tetris players speedblitz high-level Puyo players?
  • Topic Archived