Ign vs Kotaku reviews

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Octopath Traveler
  3. Ign vs Kotaku reviews

User Info: Lorulian

Lorulian
2 months ago#1
IGN:
- More than 53 hours to complete just the story of Therion

Kotaku:
- Finished all 8 stories and some optional dungeons in 36 hours
- Poor to average review

It looks like the Kotaku reviewer was in a hurry to beat the game with all the characters, and release his review as soon as the embargo was lifted.

Meanwhile IGN actually took their time.

I think it's also worth noting that the Kotaku reviewer hates the Xenoblade series.
PSN/Nintendo ID: Kar_karu 3DS FC: 4742 - 5530 - 5806
Currently Playing: God of War, Hyrule Warriors: DE, DB FighterZ, Ultra Moon, DK Country: TF, Dark Souls

User Info: Folt

Folt
2 months ago#2
Lorulian posted...
IGN:

Kotaku:
- Poor to average review

It looks like the Kotaku reviewer was in a hurry to beat the game with all the characters, and release his review as soon as the embargo was lifted. Meanwhile IGN actually their time.

I think it's also worth noting that the Kotaku hates the Xenoblade series.

It's worth noting that Kotaku hasn't even completed the game.

User Info: Branchos

Branchos
2 months ago#3
Kotaku guy is a JRPG veteran, which really helps when it comes to play time.
http://i.imgur.com/YEU94Ot.jpg

Lorulian
2 months ago#4
Folt posted...
Lorulian posted...
IGN:

Kotaku:
- Poor to average review

It looks like the Kotaku reviewer was in a hurry to beat the game with all the characters, and release his review as soon as the embargo was lifted. Meanwhile IGN actually their time.

I think it's also worth noting that the Kotaku hates the Xenoblade series.

It's worth noting that Kotaku hasn't even completed the game.

He didn't?

It says "PLAYED: Finished all eight stories and did a handful of optional dungeons in 36 hours, three minutes"
Currently Playing: God of War, Hyrule Warriors: DE, DB FighterZ, Ultra Moon, DK Country: TF, Dark Souls

Lorulian
2 months ago#5
Branchos posted...

A veteran that hates Xenoblade is a veteran that I'm not sure I can trust

User Info: Folt

Folt
2 months ago#6
Branchos posted...

Not in this case, since it appears that he basically rushed it and missed key stuff that's required to get to the endgame stuff.

User Info: pedroj

pedroj
2 months ago#7
36h, please, basically half of the recommended and says he played it all? b**** please...

User Info: fernantendo

fernantendo
2 months ago#8
Unfortunately, the Kotaku review does make it seem like he was in a rush to complete the bare minimum. Makes me wonder if he skipped some cutscenes as well.

Its an unfortunate side effect of reviews. Neither of these two reviews offer a complete analysis, since both either rushed through content, and/or did not see all/most of the content (and by most, I mean at least 90%). But they have deadlines, so here are the two sides of the coin you flip for games that are particularly long (more than 20 hours).

What is important is in what both reviews agree on that the game contains: amazing graphics, amazing music, amazing battle system. Their complaints about what isn't there are useless, and similarly is the pacing of these long games, since they are working on a deadline, and some games just don't work well in their pacing when you put a deadline on them.
Let's get ON with it! - Bill from The Last of Us

User Info: sundaisies

sundaisies
2 months ago#9
I just think - considering the amount of hours I put in multiple playthroughs of the demo (even whilst speedrunning) I kept discovering new things, and new techniques, 36 hrs total isn't enough to warrant an opinion o how amazing it is,

not like it would sway me
(also according to google search his first line is like it's desperate and it looks like lego pieces) so obviously, we don't have the same tastes.
feel free to add me as a friend - I'll add you back:
FC: 5258-4209-4545, SW - 8571 - 8545 - 1218

User Info: 3HP

3HP
2 months ago#10
lol I love these attempts to discredit the Kotaku review.
  1. Boards
  2. Octopath Traveler
  3. Ign vs Kotaku reviews

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived