After SMT4:A, how much more can the combat be improved?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Shin Megami Tensei V
  3. After SMT4:A, how much more can the combat be improved?

User Info: xenosaga123

xenosaga123
6 months ago#11
they probably are gona play it safe with combat.

press turn is the trend so not expecting it to get tossed.

User Info: MakotoYuri

MakotoYuri
6 months ago#12
@xenosaga123 maybe the hero and heroine are tag teaming like Zen&Rei, that would be interesting.
If you obey Lucifer and are 100% proud of it, copy this and make it your signature! RPGs Beaten: 666

xenosaga123
6 months ago#13
MakotoYuri posted...
@xenosaga123 maybe the hero and heroine are tag teaming like Zen&Rei, that would be interesting.

aaaah, those names are not familiar to me in SMT. the only protagonist tag teaming I recall in mainline SMT is Serph and Sera in DDS2 though that was story progression based, and Sera's part was very small, as was Seraph's

well I rather not discuss the protagonist(s) format discussion of SMTV until they confirm things. I hate being letdown.

I sorely overestimated Atlus's ambitions and discover they really are laid back complacent simpletons, so it's naive to expecting anything great from them that makes one's own ideals.

so yea expectations are unhealthy from them.

If that guy is the sole protagonist, and there's no female alternative, I'll still respect the community like I do with SMT/Persona games that I like their other aspects of the game, even if I don't disagree with their choice of protagonist, the limits they set, and the usage of characters. it's kind of like a car, I may like a car, even if I hate the driver driving it. I may not use that car, but I respect those that use that car regardless. though I will stay true to my principles and standards.

perhaps the upcoming Famitsu article will confirm how the whole duo thing is gonna be done, though I don't think they are open minded enough to even let the player choose the leader of the duo, and there may be some separation parts and bulls*** forced story decisions which limit who can be used and when. even Asahi wasn't with the party the whole time. and it sucks they didn't even make her a playable skin and portrait for fun. Nanashi got all those costumes that alter the shape and appearance of the character, and no alternate character skins to pick from, just Asahi's headgear, which is dumb.

well it sounds like ranting, though it seems they might reuse the whole center of the universe holier than thou solo protagonist special snowflake type of thing.
woudn't be surprised if that guy gets all shirtless and has rose tattoos.

User Info: Moranite

Moranite
6 months ago#14
xenosaga123 posted...
aaaah, those names are not familiar to me in SMT.

Ooooooh, I was wondering who they were for a second, myself.
They're those OCs from Persona Q. I almost feel bad for forgetting about them since I was actually playing that game.
(Until I stopped)
Living/Trapped in a perfect world | http://i.imgur.com/I5YmY5L.jpg
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Moranite | http://magicknightsaga.blogspot.com/

User Info: Salocool

Salocool
6 months ago#15
matteste posted...
A complete overhaul to signify a new generation, instead of relying on the old press turn system. Try to shake things up a bit.

100% agree, change is the spice of life.
And the Lord [...] drive out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron.

User Info: matteste

matteste
6 months ago#16
Salocool posted...
matteste posted...
A complete overhaul to signify a new generation, instead of relying on the old press turn system. Try to shake things up a bit.

100% agree, change is the spice of life.

Yea, Nocturne did it over II, and honestly, IV should have done it over Nocturne as well. Especially given the time between the releases. (Just keep it turn based)
The worst readers are those who proceed like plundering soldiers: they pick up a few things they can use, soil and confuse the rest, and blaspheme the whole.

User Info: ao_bomber

ao_bomber
6 months ago#17
Bringing back VIT as a stat for starters... Not sure who thought removing that was a good idea.

SMT4's biggest issue with its gameplay was how much of the combat devolves to "Rocket Tag" gameplay after the first couple hours. You either horribly butcher the enemy side or they horribly butcher you. The lack of a VIT stat (and ways to increase base HP outside armors) made it really irritating at times.
3DS FC: 3368-6273-3978 (ZYL5) ## https://www.ffrkcentral.com/profile/SJia
FE:Fates MyCastle: 18174-28906-95823-70845

User Info: Emerald_Melios

Emerald_Melios
5 months ago#18
They should also split physical damage back into Strike & Slash. Maybe also bring in the Psionic & Nuclear elements.

User Info: Tai-Tai

Tai-Tai
5 months ago#19
matteste posted...

On the condition nintendo and the business division of atlus gets ZERO input

xenosaga123
5 months ago#20
DSJ has a very solid combat system, and doesn't use press turn. better combat presentation than the other 3DS SMTs. it's so cool the party sprites are visible, and their 2D art is there as well in the UI. though it looks kinda weak when a party member gets killed off, it's too "electronic" and cheap in that aspect.

oh yea speaking of which, yea, when it comes to 2D, IV and IV:A have the better finishing animations when targets are killed off. they can explode, get filled with holes, sliced in half, freeze and shatter, etc. etc.
https://twitter.com/d2megaten
  1. Boards
  2. Shin Megami Tensei V
  3. After SMT4:A, how much more can the combat be improved?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived