You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xenoblade Chronicles 2
  3. YR: Xenoblade Chronicles 3 flops.

User Info: ShadeStrider1

ShadeStrider1
4 weeks ago#1
It turns out so unbelievably atrocious, that it earns extremely scathing reviews from fans and critics alike.

It ends up being a failure on the level of Fallout 76 and Hunt Down the Freeman.

It essentially kills the Xeno franchise forever.
Official Sephiroth of the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Board.

User Info: DeadliftKing91

DeadliftKing91
4 weeks ago#2
Then we still have Xenoblade 1 and 2, so it's whatever.

User Info: Shaded_Phoenix

Shaded_Phoenix
4 weeks ago#3
That's literally what happened to Xenosaga 2, and that didn't turn out to be a problem in the long run.

Though Xenoblade was never actually intended to be a Xeno game, instead it's own independent series, so I guess we have some Nintendo exec to "thank" for that?
Operation Latex Turtle is a go.

User Info: ShadeStrider1

ShadeStrider1
4 weeks ago#4
Shaded_Phoenix posted...
That's literally what happened to Xenosaga 2, and that didn't turn out to be a problem in the long run.

Though Xenoblade was never actually intended to be a Xeno game, instead it's own independent series, so I guess we have some Nintendo exec to "thank" for that?

Was Xenosaga 2 as much a failure as Fallout 76, really?
Official Sephiroth of the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Board.

User Info: Banjo2553

Banjo2553
4 weeks ago#5
ShadeStrider1 posted...

Yeah, I think it might be the worst-selling and worst-received Xeno game in existence. Takahashi wasn't the director behind it unlike 1 and 3 and the directors left in charge took the series in a completely different direction that many fans and critics weren't happy with.
Game collection: http://www.backloggery.com/bakonbitz
Gaming channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwVQm69J7bGScbv3_50C0dA

User Info: 878laststory

878laststory
4 weeks ago#6
ShadeStrider1 posted...
Shaded_Phoenix posted...

No. It was a misstep but nowhere near that travesty.

The irony is that Xenoblade's systems are closer to Xenosaga 2 than any of the other Xeno games. The difference is that they aren't slow and repetitive.

User Info: emagdnE

emagdnE
4 weeks ago#7
What did they do?

Release Xenoblade Chronicles 3: Oops! All Nopon!?

I mean, how bad would it really have to sell to kill the franchise? As far as I'm aware XB1 didn't sell very well at all even with the internet whining campaign getting mentioned everywhere. And XBX was on Wii U. Need I say anything more? And who has actually heard of Xenogears outside of jRPG centric internet message boards? Really.

And yet, here we are. XB2 was made and was Monolith Soft's best selling title to date. (And it was released in the same holiday season as Super Mario Odyssey which overshadowed everything else except lolCoD.) And XB2 sold in the same ballpark as Awakening and Fates, which somehow turned Fire Emblem into a "main series" for Nintendo despite not even breaking 2 million sales.

But then again, F-Zero GX sold 1.5 million back when 1.5 million actually meant something and then series dead.....
I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy... All right, give me the bomb. -Ultra Magnus

User Info: 878laststory

878laststory
4 weeks ago#8
emagdnE posted...

I mean, how bad would it really have to sell to kill the franchise? As far as I'm aware XB1 didn't sell very well at all even with the internet whining campaign getting mentioned everywhere. And XBX was on Wii U. Need I say anything more?

The first Xenoblade made its money back just selling in Japan (about 200,000 units).
X though did flop (only selling 100,000 units in Japan) but Nintendo used it as a beta test for Splatoon's online & training for Breath of the Wild's development.

And yet, here we are. XB2 was made and was Monolith Soft's best selling title to date. (And it was released in the same holiday season as Super Mario Odyssey which overshadowed everything else except lolCoD.) And XB2 sold in the same ballpark as Awakening and Fates, which somehow turned Fire Emblem into a "main series" for Nintendo despite not even breaking 2 million sales.

It helps that XB2 was significantly cheaper to make than X (reusing X's engine and only had half of the staff working on it).

But then again, F-Zero GX sold 1.5 million back when 1.5 million actually meant something and then series dead.....
From what I understand, the problem is that nobody knows what to do with F-zero. There's nobody taking charge or any ideas how to move the series further. It's a creative problem, not a financial one.

User Info: The_Hypist

The_Hypist
4 weeks ago#9
emagdnE posted...
What did they do?

Release Xenoblade Chronicles 3: Oops! All Nopon!?

I mean, how bad would it really have to sell to kill the franchise? As far as I'm aware XB1 didn't sell very well at all even with the internet whining campaign getting mentioned everywhere. And XBX was on Wii U. Need I say anything more? And who has actually heard of Xenogears outside of jRPG centric internet message boards? Really.

This.

As much as I love Xenoblade, it’s baffling that F-Zero which was one of Nintendo’s biggest franchises dies while Xenoblade Chronicles, a niche game becomes a standard franchise, having an entry on every console from the Wii onward.

A soul for a soul, I guess.
My waifus are my laifu, no exceptions.
  1. Boards
  2. Xenoblade Chronicles 2
  3. YR: Xenoblade Chronicles 3 flops.