You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Xenoblade Chronicles 2
  3. The topography of this game is atrocious.

User Info: Arcenal407

Arcenal407
4 weeks ago#41
Montblanc posted...
I found parts of some areas to be unnecessarily big or unintuitive, but I generally loved most of the Titans. The third Titan(?) in particular, Uraya, may be one of my favorite locations in any JRPG.

The game kept growing on me the more I played except that dreadful Chapter 7. Everything before and after that was phenomenal.

The only areas I found to be a confusing mess were the towns, and this was mostly due to how much of a nuisance it was to find particular locations/people, with the tons of text boxes and icons everywhere. Want to find the inn? Good luck. The fishmonger? He's hidden somewhere in the town square market surrounded by tons of merchants.

User Info: Montblanc

Montblanc
4 weeks ago#42
Arcenal407 posted...
Montblanc posted...
I found parts of some areas to be unnecessarily big or unintuitive, but I generally loved most of the Titans. The third Titan(?) in particular, Uraya, may be one of my favorite locations in any JRPG.

The game kept growing on me the more I played except that dreadful Chapter 7. Everything before and after that was phenomenal.

The only areas I found to be a confusing mess were the towns, and this was mostly due to how much of a nuisance it was to find particular locations/people, with the tons of text boxes and icons everywhere. Want to find the inn? Good luck. The fishmonger? He's hidden somewhere in the town square market surrounded by tons of merchants.

I had some issues with that too at first, but it stopped bothering me after a while as I pretty much memorized the towns and NPCs by heart.
Playing: Lost Sphear.

User Info: Arcenal407

Arcenal407
3 weeks ago#43
Montblanc posted...
Arcenal407 posted...
Montblanc posted...

I had some issues with that too at first, but it stopped bothering me after a while as I pretty much memorized the towns and NPCs by heart.

I memorized Fonsett... So anytime I wanted to go to an inn, I'd warp there. I got sick of trying to navigate the other towns.

User Info: popliyo

popliyo
3 weeks ago#44
TehReorcdKepper posted...
wombat013 posted...
Gaming should never have gone mainstream. Now all gamers are are whiny plebs from the entitled generations that want loot without work, 8 hour games with small maps but with end game content, forced pvp and the best graphics possible as though that is easy to do. It's ridiculous.

First of all, I'm 10x more hardcore of a gamer than you will ever be.

My favorite RPGs include Saga Frontier, Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story, Dark Cloud series.

I played and beat all these games without a single online guide. I had to sacrifice my schooling to do so. I failed every subject and dropped out of school just to beat these games.

I have never even kissed a girl and remain a sexless virgin even til now well into my 50s. Beating a superboss makes me climax way harder than any real heavenly blessed beauty would, anyway. So who's the virgin now, huh?

Even right now, I'm typing this in my grandmother's basement surrounded by Neo Genesis Evengelical and Ranma 1/2 waifu pillows.

Don't you ever for a second think you're more of a hardcore weeb than I am. I'm warning you.

I....*slow clap*
-A reasonably prudent person.

User Info: legendarylemur

legendarylemur
3 weeks ago#45
Yeah only Gormott is kinda bad to explore (still have trouble finding the entrance to that f***ing waterfall). Otherwise, every titan in XC2 are incredibly linear, with any outside exploration being optional fights or future side quest areas. Comparing Gormott to something far more refined and beautiful like Gaur Plain, the difference is night and day.

However, Argentum has distinctive floors (honestly, I don't really see the case in that screenshot very often, where the shop names cover the whole screen. it's kind of a strawman, almost) with purpose aka, first floor is most of the shops, 2nd floor is the inn, 3rd floor is the pier, 4th is the roof. Uraya is large but linear, with the first area potentially being slight confusing to navigate, but the rest are very self-explanatory as long as you're aware of which direction you're facing. Mor Ardain is linear with 2 largely separated elevations. The only bad part here are all the gates that get locked bh quests and rewards. Otherwise you're even given like 3 different ways to get to Old Factory.

Old Factory is difficult to navigate and is just as bad of an offender as Gormott, but at the end of the day, you can get through it without having to explore 50% of it. Leftheria is a drop dead easy 2 path world with optional stray islands. Indol is simple. Genbu's hardest part is getting to the bottom, but there are actually like 2 different ways to go about doing it. Tbh in this case, I thought figuring the way down was actually a pretty interesting puzzle section of sorts. Required you to really examine your surroundings, another case where knowing your bearing is important.

And well, I don't really need to go over the rest I think. Either very simple open map like the dying Titan that I forget the name of, and Morytha related stuff which are all really simplistic in design and progression. Elpys is also pretty simple imo, but it can get confusing to get to specific places. Otherwise it's also a multi-path dungeon so it's hard to not reach your destination eventually.

I think Gormott is just a very poor first experience. They really needed a titan to adjust you into navigating. Starting from Leftheria could've been pretty good
"Iwata was awesome" - Mr. Nintendo
https://i.imgtc.com/7dRrfE1.jpg

User Info: BloodMoon7

BloodMoon7
3 weeks ago#46
I never had trouble finding anything in towns. Even the biggest towns are small compared to the Titan they're located on.
7th General of Hel's Army
What is life? It's nothing but suffering. Let me help you. I'll erase you, suffering and all.

User Info: moogle69

moogle69
3 weeks ago#47
This games world makes you think, and I like that
SWITCH FC: SW-7112-9351-8340
Hyped: LOH:TOCSIII/IV, SMTV, DxM, Bloodstained, FE: 3 houses, DQXIS, YW4, CTR:NF, LOZ:LAR, Astral Chain, Pokemon S&S

User Info: Banjo2553

Banjo2553
3 weeks ago#48
It took a while but I got used to the layouts. Gormott really is the most complicated one in terms of design.
Game collection: http://www.backloggery.com/bakonbitz
Gaming channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwVQm69J7bGScbv3_50C0dA

User Info: domo404

domo404
3 weeks ago#49
I dont like the maps either. But they become pretty straight forward as you go. It honestly help more if the compass wasn't so bad.

I do like x map design. Mainly because it's just a giant map and not broken down to segments like xc2. Not to mention you unlock a skell to fly and that basically cuts down travel time and all the nonsense spiral paths and ledges.

User Info: TehReorcdKepper

TehReorcdKepper
3 weeks ago#50
I've since come to the conclusion that the map itself isn't bad.

It's the MINI MAP that is ABSOLUTELY THE MOST USELESS GARBAGE EXCUSE FOR A MINI MAP IN THE HISTORY OF JRPGs.

This is the only game where NOT using the mini is LESS confusing than just actually turning it off and memorizing the damn thing yourself.
  1. Boards
  2. Xenoblade Chronicles 2
  3. The topography of this game is atrocious.