• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xenoblade Chronicles 2
  3. Please, can I have some general Xenoblade and Xenoblade X help

User Info: Mudkip_in_Space

Mudkip_in_Space
1 month ago#1
I’m after Chapter 7, it’s been a while since I played (got the game on release day, have 50 hours logged though) but it feels like even regular enemies knock me about.

I’m only level 26, which I know is mondo underleveled since Chapter 8 requires 30 minimum.

I am currently a Rank 1 Mastermind, so I just started the class, but I now just feel like my time with the Psycorruptor line was a waste of all my time, as it feels underpowered outside of healing.

And there’s the catch: I can’t even go toe-to-toe with regular enemies without healing help from Irina or myself. Tyrants are essentially out of the question.

In Xenoblade 1, the only one I’ve beaten (which I love), Sharla was practically a permanent fixture of my team, and I loved playing her as the medic type even though it wasn’t always the most effective for damage. I did use everyone, but Sharla was suited for me.

I do quests in all three games, but I admit to slacking on them in X and 2, and that might be my big trouble. I did pretty much EVERY quest in Xenoblade 1 when they opened, so I was always doing well on levels.

I haven’t gotten far in Xenoblade 2, like, at all (just got Vandham and met Zeke) because I constantly get knocked around by enemies. Nia kind of helps, but hardly, and so I struggle with pretty much every major boss or enemy until I squeak through. I’m just not good at this series and I don’t know how to get better, but I’d like to. Can you please offer some basic tips or anything like that relating to combat?
Currently Playing: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD

User Info: LightOfJudgment

LightOfJudgment
1 month ago#2
Even if you're having trouble with the Psycorruptor path, I highly recommend maxing out Mastermind so that you can learn the Secondary Accelerator skill. That also allows you to use the raygun and knife in any other class; knife in particular is a wonderful weapon for any ranged build and allows you to continue acting as a healer. Class EXP is based solely on the enemy's level relative to yours, so fighting some weak enemies at or slightly above your level such as Blattas is the best way to go.

A great way to deal with normal enemies as you currently are is to abuse brainjack/servant sacrifice. Using a purple Soul Voice from an ally guarantees that you'll land Control and even if SS does not kill, you'll get a bunch of HP and TP back. To have a better shot of landing Control outside of Soul Voices, there's a skill for that. To actually do damage, Beam Barrage is your best source of that. Make sure you have an aura up and wait for secondary cooldown for maximum effect. In general, it is best to wait for secondary cooldowns to do damage unless the situation calls for the art's usage immediately.

I highly recommend being more thorough with quests in X. Not only will they help with EXP gain, but they're by far the best content in the game.

You say you're constantly getting knocked around by enemies in 2 - do you mean they're just doing too much damage, or is there some other problem, such as them taking too long to die or Tora not holding aggro? Chapter 3 is the place at which the game starts to expect you to learn the mechanics a little more, and enemy HP is increased significantly to compensate. Are you making use of Driver Combos (break, topple, launch), Blade Combos, and canceling? How are your Blades' affinity charts? Do you use pouch items?
Indifferent to differences, practicality over principle.

Mudkip_in_Space
1 month ago#3
LightOfJudgment posted...
Even if you're having trouble with the Psycorruptor path, I highly recommend maxing out Mastermind so that you can learn the Secondary Accelerator skill. That also allows you to use the raygun and knife in any other class; knife in particular is a wonderful weapon for any ranged build and allows you to continue acting as a healer. Class EXP is based solely on the enemy's level relative to yours, so fighting some weak enemies at or slightly above your level such as Blattas is the best way to go.

A great way to deal with normal enemies as you currently are is to abuse brainjack/servant sacrifice. Using a purple Soul Voice from an ally guarantees that you'll land Control and even if SS does not kill, you'll get a bunch of HP and TP back. To have a better shot of landing Control outside of Soul Voices, there's a skill for that. To actually do damage, Beam Barrage is your best source of that. Make sure you have an aura up and wait for secondary cooldown for maximum effect. In general, it is best to wait for secondary cooldowns to do damage unless the situation calls for the art's usage immediately.

I highly recommend being more thorough with quests in X. Not only will they help with EXP gain, but they're by far the best content in the game.

You say you're constantly getting knocked around by enemies in 2 - do you mean they're just doing too much damage, or is there some other problem, such as them taking too long to die or Tora not holding aggro? Chapter 3 is the place at which the game starts to expect you to learn the mechanics a little more, and enemy HP is increased significantly to compensate. Are you making use of Driver Combos (break, topple, launch), Blade Combos, and canceling? How are your Blades' affinity charts? Do you use pouch items?

Thank you for the response, for X2, I definitely have been having trouble with Tora not holding the line so to speak, but yeah, it’s less that the enemies do too much and more that I can’t defeat them fast enough to prevent Tora from dying, which leads to Nia crumbling, and then finally Rex. I had noticed Chapter 3 is harder than the previous ones, so I’ll work on trying to master the combos. Break/Topple definitely seemed easier for me in Xenoblade 1, but I have gotten it in this game too.

I also have been working on unlocking every Affinity Chart thing possible, but I haven’t used much for Pouch Items because I’ve not really gotten how they worked and I’ve been afraid of wasting the good items or whatnot, but I’ll definitely look deeper into them.

For X, I have done as many Affinity Missions as I can, but I’ll get on the regular quests too. I’ll also stick with Mastermind because the mind control does sound pretty useful.

User Info: LightOfJudgment

LightOfJudgment
1 month ago#4
Pouch items provide buffs for the character using them for the specified period of (real) time. Ones that charge arts over time or charge specials over time are the best for general use. Early in the game, you can't go wrong with Narcipear Jelly, which can be bought in Argentum. It recharges your arts automatically over time, which leads to faster charging of special meter, which leads to more combos. Have all of your active party members use it and see how much better you do.

One way to inflict lots of burst damage is to do a Blade Combo while the enemy is suffering from a reaction such as Break or Topple. This results in a "fusion combo," which is essentially a combination of Blade and Driver Combos. See if you can do a Blade Combo finisher while the enemy is toppled or launched; it'll likely kill or almost kill any normal enemy at this point. Doing things the other way around benefits you as well; if you inflict a reaction on the enemy while a Blade Combo is ongoing, it will extend the time you have to continue said Blade Combo. Fusion combos also boost your party gauge.
Indifferent to differences, practicality over principle.

User Info: Valkynaz

Valkynaz
1 month ago#5
https://www.resetera.com/threads/xenoblade-2-blade-chain-driver-combo-advanced-battle-guide.9206/ I find this guide to be super useful, also remember you can rest at an Inn if you feel your level is too low (Resting at an inn will allow you to use bonus EXP obtained through quests and such to level up, just don't go ham and over-level everything... I swear I don't know from experience)

Also Driver Combos aren't complete at this stage of the game, eventually you'll get blades who have the "Smash" reaction which will help a ton as well (Smashing also causes them to drop some loot, good for trying to farm better weapons, accessories, etc.) word of warning is that it appears the gender of the driver effects who priorities what when it comes to Blade or Drive combos? Females for Blade, and Males for Driver (At least that's what I've heard, and my experiences seem to match) again not a huge issue in this part of the game, but still something to be aware of.

Also remember you can buff Poppi through... Tiger! Tiger! (Sorry for mentioning it's name), even if the creation options are limited, stage one can still drop things like Tank mod III.

Mudkip_in_Space
1 month ago#6
Thank you both, I definitely will work on Combos as a big focus. I also ignored Tiger Tiger because I didn’t understand how it worked (I played a few times but was just confused)

I’ll also go back to Argentum and see what kind of Pouch items I have and which ones I need. I was kinda overwhelmed which I think was my problem, since a LOT has changed since Xenoblade 1, but I’m still excited to play. My first Rare Blade was Perceval and he’s super fun, while my other two (iirc) are Perun and Godfrey
  1. Boards
  2. Xenoblade Chronicles 2
  3. Please, can I have some general Xenoblade and Xenoblade X help
  • Topic Archived