• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xenoblade Chronicles 2
  3. Xenoblade 2 is a massive disappointment

User Info: awdrifter

awdrifter
1 month ago#1
I loved the first Xenoblade, I was looking forward to playing this when it first released. After getting a Switch recently I can finally play this game. But it gets more and more frustrating the more I played. Keep in mind I did not finish this game, and I probably won't. I played up to chapter 6 and I pretty much had enough of the artificial limitations that was put in everywhere of the game. The random blade spawning is bs! The Affinity Chart is bs! Field Skills limitation is bs! The map and quest waypoint marker system sucks!

The blade spawning and Affinity Chart feels like they are taken from free-to-play games, maybe that was what Monolith was planning to do, where you can buy premium coins to get guaranteed rare blade crystals and affinity boosting items. But for whatever reason (maybe seeing the backlash at EA) they didn't implement that. So we're left with a system that was made tedious for the purpose of encouraging purchase but have no way of purchasing the premium items. I would rather they had the ball to put that into the game.

The field skill gates doesn't even make any sense, they gate the side quests, which should be giving you field skill points. I was doing a rare blade quest and it requires Botany lvl 7, who would have that by going through a normal playthrough?! On another side quest I need to talk to an NPC, it requires Girl's Talk lvl 3 WTF?! How is even talking gated behind the fking field skills.

So what I'm left if is just the main story, which was alright up to chapter 6. But now I'm stuck because all the enemies in the area I'm in suddenly became level 80 after a certain cutscene, so I need to either grind 20+ levels or stop playing. I think the choice is pretty easy.

Before I played this I saw many older posts also mentioned this game was disappointing, but I didn't think it's that bad. It's like all the new stuff they added to this game was made for monetization, but they didn't actually go through with it. I rather they just put in 30 unique blades in the entire game (no random blades) you grind money to get it, none of this lootbox stuff. No Affinity Chart at all, blade skills should be manually chosen by the player (using up experience points). No field skill requirements, that should be completely scrapped. I know this is probably not realistic as that would pretty much be remaking the entire game's progression system. So I'll probably never finish this game.

User Info: rYogAz

rYogAz
1 month ago#2
awdrifter posted...

So what I'm left if is just the main story, which was alright up to chapter 6. But now I'm stuck because all the enemies in the area I'm in suddenly became level 80 after a certain cutscene, so I need to either grind 20+ levels or stop playing. I think the choice is pretty easy.

OR, you can try fast travel to another map and back again to tantal until you get a non-misty weather.

User Info: fernantendo

fernantendo
1 month ago#3
Ch 7 is the best chapter in the game...

Surprised you got this far, but you clearly hate a lot of the gameplay systems, so its hard to encourage you to continue.

I'll just say that those 80 level monsters are due to the weather of the area. Change it (by fast traveling, for example), and they'll go away.
Let's get ON with it! - Bill from The Last of Us

User Info: ShadowNirvash4

ShadowNirvash4
1 month ago#4
fernantendo posted...

I'll just say that those 80 level monsters are due to the weather of the area. Change it (by fast traveling, for example), and they'll go away.

I am surprised someone who played one didn't understand this, I mean it did the same thing with those damn ether enemies

User Info: Dirak

Dirak
1 month ago#5
You don't need a single blade with a high field skill. If you need a skill level 7, you can equip several blades with a low skill, like 3+2+1+1=7
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjrQEsqcvpM
Some music goes with everything.

User Info: SmurfNextDoor

SmurfNextDoor
1 month ago#6
As others have said, it's the weather and skill checks sum everyone in your party. You have a lot of Blade slots, so for common skills like Botany, provided you sent out your commons on merc quests, it shouldn't be that hard to assign multiple that sum to 7. If you can't do a check, come back later, just the way it is.

Haven't had a big problem with the blade system, personally. I imagine it sucks for completionists, but there's a fair amount of guaranteed cores to make a solid team without relying on luck. The only summoned rare attackers I have are Perun and Azami and it barely matters.
"Why is there still a 4K [character] limit in 2018?" - Cyber Akuma Zero
"I am attempting to emulate the style of your posts." - FFnut

User Info: awdrifter

awdrifter
1 month ago#7
fernantendo posted...

Surprised you got this far, but you clearly hate a lot of the gameplay systems, so its hard to encourage you to continue.

The battle system itself was alright, I prefer the foresight (from XB1) to the chain attack. But it's the rare blade grinding and the side quest gates that gets to me. Normally I would do some side quests even if I don't enjoy the battle too much, I can get exp that way. But around chapter 5 I see that many side quests are gated with the Field Skills, so I decided to just go with the main quest. But as you said, it's hard for me to get the motivation to continue playing this game.

User Info: ShadowNirvash4

ShadowNirvash4
1 month ago#8
awdrifter posted...
fernantendo posted...

The battle system itself was alright, I prefer the foresight (from XB1) to the chain attack. .

??????????

You say this like chain attacks are new to 2

User Info: GreatAegis

GreatAegis
1 month ago#9
ShadowNirvash4 posted...
awdrifter posted...
fernantendo posted...

The battle system itself was alright, I prefer the foresight (from XB1) to the chain attack. .

??????????

You say this like chain attacks are new to 2

He must be referring to the "Poke the Orb" mechanic about Xenoblade 2's chain attack but I'm actually glad they added that feature to the game. Then I can actually tell how to continue a Chain Attack while I had no idea how you continued a chain attack in Xenoblade.

Even when you do the whole Break > Topple > Stun mechanic, it just ends suddenly on Topple leaving me like "What the f***?"
Xenoblade 2 - NieR Automata - Dragon Quest XI > Best JRPGs of the generation

User Info: TaylorHyuuga

TaylorHyuuga
1 month ago#10
GreatAegis posted...
Even when you do the whole Break > Topple > Stun mechanic, it just ends suddenly on Topple leaving me like "What the f***?"

That's because the enemy is probably immune to stun
Ahhh, useless, it's all useless
-Battler Ushiromiya
  1. Boards
  2. Xenoblade Chronicles 2
  3. Xenoblade 2 is a massive disappointment
  • Topic Archived