• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xenoblade Chronicles 2
  3. how much of a damage sponge are enemies here?

User Info: VermilionX

VermilionX
2 months ago#1
that's always a big turn off for me

i saw this 1 review that said at same levels (you and enemy) fights drag on too much

i don't mind longer fights and strategizing for boss battles... but it annoys me very much when regular mobs take too many hits to kill.

i was ready to look past how stupid main character looks (along with being a kid) but yeah so im doing more research to see if i might like this game

i played xenoblade 1... but got bored late game, some giant robot boss in some factory made me feel like i had to grind and stopped playing.

looking for switch exclusive games... just got one this week. already have mario party, borrowed odyssey, and will buy zelda later.

bayonetta 2 is another i will get later... very much enjoyed the 1st one.
CFN: Zerokage me and my bike! GSX-R750 K6
https://imgur.com/5dkx5Ah

User Info: JoseJGC

JoseJGC
2 months ago#2
Long fights are a problem in the early game because you can't use all the mechanics (They are literally locked) and probably don't understand blade combos or canceling attacks.
Late game feels a lot better, everything is just quicker and you can make combos that completely destroy the enemies easily.

VermilionX
2 months ago#3
JoseJGC posted...
verything is just quicker and you can make combos that completely destroy the enemies easily.

what's easily?

like 2 mins or less to kill regular mobs of the same level?

i don't mind if they kill me fast... as long as i can kill them very fast as well

User Info: moogle69

moogle69
2 months ago#4
To put it in simple terms, if you **** at the games, yes battles can drag on, especially when challenging higher leveled enemies, otherwise the battles are extremely short.

Another reason the battles can take long is that multiple enemies join battle, this game gives you option to run and ignore battles, so use it.
3DSXL FC: 0087-3600-6980
Hyped: LOH:TOCSIII/IV, KHIII, DMCV, SMTV, DxM, Bloodstained, FE: 3 houses, DQXI, YW:B

User Info: Arcenal407

Arcenal407
2 months ago#5
I thought enemies were "damage sponges" until I figured out the basic battle mechanics.
Something as simple as understanding elemental orbs and combos will drastically shorten battles, to the point that when one enemy was below half health, I would begin to lure others to keep the battles going.

User Info: Willians

Willians
2 months ago#6
Yes, they drag quite a lot compared to previous entries. Even when you are strong, and can pull out powerful blade combos chain attacks, the fact that the animations of those attacks stops everything makes it feels like time is not passing. It really just get better when a certain character unlocks a skill to recharge arts when given critical hits, which allows you to spam arts, and it feels like the battle is going fast.

VermilionX
2 months ago#7
Willians posted...
Even when you are strong, and can pull out powerful blade combos chain attacks, the fact that the animations of those attacks stops everything makes it feels like time is not passing.

i see...

im also talking about # of hits in general so i don't care if animations are longer

it's annoying when i hit enemies sooooooo many times when before they die, again, im not talking about boss battles.

moogle69 posted...
otherwise the battles are extremely short.

like they die in 5 hits or less?

User Info: Beepbeep

Beepbeep
2 months ago#8
There long for a good portion of the game.Not until chapter 5 do they start dying at a reasonable rate.
[Insert funny and witty comment here]

VermilionX
2 months ago#9
Beepbeep posted...
There long for a good portion of the game.Not until chapter 5 do they start dying at a reasonable rate.

I see, too bad switch games don't really get significance sales. Makes it harder to take risk

User Info: Willians

Willians
2 months ago#10
VermilionX posted...
Willians posted...
Even when you are strong, and can pull out powerful blade combos chain attacks, the fact that the animations of those attacks stops everything makes it feels like time is not passing.

i see...

im also talking about # of hits in general so i don't care if animations are longer

it's annoying when i hit enemies sooooooo many times when before they die, again, im not talking about boss battles.

moogle69 posted...
otherwise the battles are extremely short.

like they die in 5 hits or less?

Number of hits is as people said, when you unlock all mechanics and how to use they properly, it does not take that much time. Still more than the other entries, but becomes reasonable, at least.
  1. Boards
  2. Xenoblade Chronicles 2
  3. how much of a damage sponge are enemies here?
  • Topic Archived